Trump says US will institute tariffs on steel and aluminum imports next week

You would think the tarrifs wold have made US steel more competitive. US steel just took it as an opportunity to raise prices.
yes and? should the government be mandating their prices? If they are dumb enough to do that and hurt themselves, by keeping the competition competitive they can go for. government interference got us here, should more be trusted to fix it?

yes and? should the government be mandating their prices? If they are dumb enough to do that and hurt themselves, by keeping the competition competitive they can go for. government interference got us here, should more be trusted to fix it?

Did he advocate price fixing or are you just deflecting with a strawman?

Tariffs are government interference.
Yes they are, and hopefully they go away very soon. even without this specific government interference we are still the most expensive. EPA, building/manufacturing codes, minimum wage, safety standards etc are also government interference in the prices of our steel, and other things. should we get rid of those as well?

seems like we are picking and choosing the government interferences here.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Yes they are, and hopefully they go away very soon. even without this specific government interference we are still the most expensive. EPA, building/manufacturing codes, minimum wage, safety standards etc are also government interference in the prices of our steel, and other things. should we get rid of those as well?

seems like we are picking and choosing the government interferences here.

Yes, we absolutely should.

Interested to see if I can get a consistent response from Vol Doc, already know what Huff is going to say. Its interesting to me that the price increase causes a fuss now, while it hasn't in the past.

Hypocrites, while I oppose the sanctions the most vocal of the opposition here rarely if ever raise a peep over other regulations that impact industry or prices.

Hypocrites, while I oppose the sanctions the most vocal of the opposition here rarely if ever raise a peep over other regulations that impact industry or prices.
I am somewhere in the middle. I am for a smaller government, not Huff, or probably Hog levels of small, but smaller than we have. actually I would take a more defined/limited government. I don't mind the regulations that ensure a quality product. its amazing what corners are still cut I can't imagine what it would be like without them. but these tariffs and sanctions serve no purpose.

Interested to see if I can get a consistent response from Vol Doc, already know what Huff is going to say. Its interesting to me that the price increase causes a fuss now, while it hasn't in the past.
I'm for minimizing regulations, yes. Reasonable provisions for public safety are the exceptions, for me. Regulations typically add more bureaucracy and expense without adding value. I deal with that in medicine all the time. I'm also against a minimum wage. Let competition set the wage. If you can find inconsistencies about that in my post history, I'd be happy to answer to them.

I am somewhere in the middle. I am for a smaller government, not Huff, or probably Hog levels of small, but smaller than we have. actually I would take a more defined/limited government. I don't mind the regulations that ensure a quality product. its amazing what corners are still cut I can't imagine what it would be like without them. but these tariffs and sanctions serve no purpose.

I'm by no means an AnCap guy, that is just lunacy promoted by idiots. To be a stable and prosperous country we need some rules and regulation but over the last 40-50 or more years regulated and taxed ourselves to where we can't be competitive.

You know, I don't know if this has been brought up, but what if a side effect of the tariffs would be to slow the economy as a whole? If (as stated in the post above) 64 companies are affected, and those companies are economic foundations, they might slow production. The pin action downstream would be for things to slow as well. That could cause the Fed to rethink interest rate rises as the economic engine would be slowing on its' own. Interest rates remaining low is better for people at the bottom of the food chain. They can still afford houses (not that interest rates are a yuge concern at these levels) and small businesses have access to cash as well.Just another way of looking at it. Just because GM's roll gets slowed doesn't mean mom and pop's does.

You know, I don't know if this has been brought up, but what if a side effect of the tariffs would be to slow the economy as a whole? If (as stated in the post above) 64 companies are affected, and those companies are economic foundations, they might slow production. The pin action downstream would be for things to slow as well. That could cause the Fed to rethink interest rate rises as the economic engine would be slowing on its' own. Interest rates remaining low is better for people at the bottom of the food chain. They can still afford houses (not that interest rates are a yuge concern at these levels) and small businesses have access to cash as well.Just another way of looking at it. Just because GM's roll gets slowed doesn't mean mom and pop's does.

Not possible........Trump does not care about the little guy.

Um, low interest rates are not a good thing. That's actually been part of the problem.

This assumes people at the bottom are better off going into debt at low interest rates than they are saving at high interest rates.

Low interest rates have also distorted the housing market and inflated prices so you get a lower interest rate on a house that costs more.

Reactions: Vol_Doc
The boldest of liars.

“We don’t have tariffs anywhere,” President Trump said in a recent interview with The Wall Street Journal. In fact, his administration this year has placed levies on more than $300 billion in imports.

Mr. Trump said he views tariffs as a trade negotiating tactic. “We don’t even have tariffs,” he said in the interview. “I’m using tariffs to negotiate. I mean, other than some tariffs on steel—which is actually small, what do we have? ... Where do we have tariffs? We don’t have tariffs anywhere.”

Y'all are getting scammed

The United States raised $33.1 billion in tariff revenue in 2017, but $14 billion of that came from tariffs on apparel and footwear alone. These items account for 4.6 percent of the value of U.S. imports, but 42 percent of duties paid. That means while the average effective tariff rate for U.S. imports overall is just over 1.4 percent, rates for apparel and footwear are 13.7 percent and 11.3 percent, respectively.https://www.cato.org/blog/where-do-we-have-tariffs-president-asked-clothing-footwear-start#_edn1

My colleague Daniel Ikenson has previously examined the evolution of clothing and textile protectionism. He concludes that such high tariffs do not protect domestic apparel manufacturing. Data from the U.S. Trade Representative shows that 91 percent of manufactured apparel goods and 96.5 percent of footwear are imported.

Why then are such highly regressive tariffs imposed? The answer appears to be the lobbying efforts of the capital-intensive U.S. textile industry.

"Where Do We Have Tariffs?" the President Asked. On Clothing and Footwear, For a Start

Tariffs are government interference.

I think everyone understands there is a duty on virtually every item imported into the USA and many apparel items have a quota attached. These tariffs are in addition to the duty. When I read stories in the press they read like we have free trade and the tariffs are in direct opposition to free trade. Items I am familiar with importing carry a duty average of around 15%.

VN Store

Back