Truce....

Synopsis of what he had to say ?
If I'm guessing...it probably is in line with what I heard from USF fans. They are not displeased to see him go, despite the gaudy offensive stats. The decline had many of them concerned.

We'll see...he's ours now.

I've calmed down some since this morning. I think if he can get the offense rolling get a good defensive coordinator maybe it will be ks then recruiting will take care of itself I'll give it a roll

Ok...I've said my piece, and had my fun. Josh Heupel was not who I wanted, and I still believe we left opportunities on the table. That being said, we could have...and have (recently) done much worse. All joking, griping and Nega-Vol'ing aside, I truly hope Coach Heupel exceeds my reasonably lowered expectations by a country mile. And he very well may.

I have long stated reasonable and achievable goals for this program. I do not suggest we are anywhere near being in the playoff picture, nor should we expect we deserve a coach that will in the short-term take us there. However, a new coach can get me fully in his corner with just a few simple achievements.

1. Improve- Develop players. Creatively Scheme. Do more with less (this may be important around here for a while)
2. Beat who you are supposed to.
3. Compete with our Big-3 rivals. Avoid the blowouts. Come home with your shield, or on it. Be prepared, avoid embarrassment, play like a champion, and I will support you.
4. Continue to revisit point number 1.

As long as we are wandering in the wilderness of NCAA sanctions, that is all I ask. Use this time to establish your system, recruit to it, and prepare for the day the sanctions are lifted...because that is when the clock really starts.

I remember Josh Heupel and the 2000 season well. He has been around programs that win at a high level. I hope it translates here. Keep it respectable and I, along with many others with get on board.

Go Vols.
I am not trying to be rude, but when you state "I believe we left opportunities on the table" what are you referring to? Surely you are not suggesting that White deliberately intended to "rope a dope" this process just to hire his coach.
I think that is the problem with the perception. I think he swung big, took some chances and didn't get the few responses he wanted. He went with a solid hire, someone that he knows, someone that coaches with integrity and exciting brand of football. So I am not really sure what you mean, its like some of us fans are suggesting we know better than our new AD who has been around this type of stuff his entire life. It just confuses me.

I am not trying to be rude, but when you state "I believe we left opportunities on the table" what are you referring to? Surely you are not suggesting that White deliberately intended to "rope a dope" this process just to hire his coach.
I think that is the problem with the perception. I think he swung big, took some chances and didn't get the few responses he wanted. He went with a solid hire, someone that he knows, someone that coaches with integrity and exciting brand of football. So I am not really sure what you mean, its like some of us fans are suggesting we know better than our new AD who has been around this type of stuff his entire life. It just confuses me.
His post was reasonable and dead on. Lighten up.

You're going to get UCF caliber playing level talent with a hope on Heupel's part he can develop them into SEC type players. A tall bill to fill. He's not known as being particularly successful on the recruiting trail even at UCF. So however long he lasts in Knoxville, do not expect a bevy of talent to be in the cupboard once he's gone. This will be a Dooley or worse recovery of talent once this subsides. My prediction and I hope I'm wrong and I'll eat a trough of crow if I am. But this ends when many SEC schools, just not Bama put more of their fans in seats at Neyland than Big Orange fans. This begins in season two for Heupel. The UT administration won't care as long as revenue stays up at a certain level, but more Gamecock fans in Neyland than Big Orange should be an anathema but it's on it's way IMO.

Well put Boro.

I'm not gonna penalize JH (or another coach for that matter) for the ditch UT has been digging for the last decade +. And its deeper now than at any other time. To take that a step further. We finally broke a trend and hired what many see is a top shelf AD. He wasn't going to fix all those years in a week either.

I dont expect him to be great, especially early. But we need him to be ok pretty quick and build from there.
He may not be a 10 win coach, he may not win the east, he may not beat the big 3 on the schedule. But he needs to be doing everything else after the AA smoke clears. And if the worse thing he has done is stabilized the place if he were to leave hes done the job IMO.
At which point you have a better situation to sell to another guy with all that $.

Damn straight! Time to put the negavols behind us for a while. The guys deserves a chance. With what we're facing he needs all the support from the fan base. At least quit pounding on this guy until he gives us reason. Give him that much. This isn't a Beldar hire. Go burn your mattresses tonight then put the fire out for a while.

Reactions: ksgovols
Ok...I've said my piece, and had my fun. Josh Heupel was not who I wanted, and I still believe we left opportunities on the table. That being said, we could have...and have (recently) done much worse. All joking, griping and Nega-Vol'ing aside, I truly hope Coach Heupel exceeds my reasonably lowered expectations by a country mile. And he very well may.

I have long stated reasonable and achievable goals for this program. I do not suggest we are anywhere near being in the playoff picture, nor should we expect we deserve a coach that will in the short-term take us there. However, a new coach can get me fully in his corner with just a few simple achievements.

1. Improve- Develop players. Creatively Scheme. Do more with less (this may be important around here for a while)
3. Compete with our Big-3 rivals. Avoid the blowouts. Come home with your shield, or on it. Be prepared, avoid embarrassment, play like a champion, and I will support you.

As long as we are wandering in the wilderness of NCAA sanctions, that is all I ask. Use this time to establish your system, recruit to it, and prepare for the day the sanctions are lifted...because that is when the clock really starts.

I remember Josh Heupel and the 2000 season well. He has been around programs that win at a high level. I hope it translates here. Keep it respectable and I, along with many others with get on board.

Go Vols.
I agree with this. Thanks.

Synopsis of what he had to say ?
He said to get ready for cliches; team was probably split with players who did/didn’t like playing for him; eluded to some locker room issues but said it could be Covid stress related; said Heupel wasn’t coaching for his job next year, but with a new AD who knows. He also said recruiting is suspect but Heupel should be able to get players to run his system in the SEC, and our linemen need to drop weight immediately to play in this system. He sounded surprised White took Heupel over Chadwell, and surprised Heupel’s salary got doubled. The reporter just had this tone during the whole interview that he was about to start snickering

Reactions: yabbadabbado
Time will tell for sure and talk is cheap but he may be what we need more than what we want. I will still watch when they play, cheer when they win, raise he!! win they lose and blame everybody for the HC to the waterboy but the next week I'll be right back ready to do it all over again.....that's just what we do as Vols fans and that want change.

You're going to get UCF caliber playing level talent with a hope on Heupel's part he can develop them into SEC type players. A tall bill to fill. He's not known as being particularly successful on the recruiting trail even at UCF. So however long he lasts in Knoxville, do not expect a bevy of talent to be in the cupboard once he's gone. This will be a Dooley or worse recovery of talent once this subsides. My prediction and I hope I'm wrong and I'll eat a trough of crow if I am. But this ends when many SEC schools, just not Bama put more of their fans in seats at Neyland than Big Orange fans. This begins in season two for Heupel. The UT administration won't care as long as revenue stays up at a certain level, but more Gamecock fans in Neyland than Big Orange should be an anathema but it's on it's way IMO.
So you think we have recruit SEC caliber athletes at every position during the last 15 years. I think we will recruit better in the next three years and develop them better than we have in the many years.

If Heupel can develop players (and hopefully other coaches).......heck I’ll stay on board even through more crap.......just by doing that.

Now don’t get me wrong........if Tennessee can start scoring in bunches by year 2.......that will be a plus.

Reactions: tbh
At this point, put up or shut up.
Not thrilled, as i think there we better candidates out there. I dont see him being the one to propel UT to Conference Championships, but he is a lot better than the last one. At this point the product on the field will be the only story i believe. How many years of pre-season excitement and hype that just all led to the same disappointment?
At least UT should be interesting to watch. The offense could go back to the levels it was in the Dooley days (as bad a HFC as he was, Dooley had some fun offenses) and watching the games might actually be somewhat entertaining. If he can at least be the guy that took UT from fighting Vandy for worst in SEC, to at least mediocre with some good flashes in there...

We'll see what this staff starts to look like and it'll give us a good idea of how he's going to fare especially at first. There absolutely HAS to be people who not only can recruit but even more importantly develop these players, something we haven't seen in awhile. Definitely not my first choice and I'm extremely skeptical but I'll be more than happy to be wrong.

Go Vols.
You are spot on bud, I do remember him saying that him and his coaches will coach and coach players to their abilities instead of what has happened in the past especially with cornbread

Damn straight! Time to put the negavols behind us for a while. The guys deserves a chance. With what we're facing he needs all the support from the fan base. At least quit pounding on this guy until he gives us reason. Give him that much. This isn't a Beldar hire. Go burn your mattresses tonight then put the fire out for a while.
I get why fans are the way they are right now.
UT has been a mess for a long time and there's no reason for it to be like that for that amount of time. And we want it fixed yesterday.

JH may not be a great hire that coaches here for 15 years and gets UT back to the top, but UT may have to do that in stages with more than one hire. Maybe he's good enough for the first leg.

Reactions: PNW Huskie

Go Vols.
And this from the President of the Negavols... You turncoat. Disgusting.

Obvs, kidding. Let's give him time. If he's any good, great. If he's not, it's not like we're used to winning so it won't be a shot to the gut.

Onward and upward!

Edit: I was furious with the Pruitt hire. I was mad with this one, mainly from my perspective that we didn't really shop another dealership. We just bought the first sedan that could go from A to B.

My anger has really turned to 'eh. Nothing I can do about it.' I don't know if that means I've grown or it took Tennessee years to finally knock the stuffing out of me.

Last edited:
If I'm guessing...it probably is in line with what I heard from USF fans. They are not displeased to see him go, despite the gaudy offensive stats. The decline had many of them concerned.

We'll see...he's ours now.
I read somewhere the roster was depleted this year due to opt outs and Covid. The two previous years were very good

Last edited:
Agree with OP, I also think the offense will be much improved. He has better recruits than anywhere he has been except OK right now on offense. We won’t have bad QB play anymore that is for sure. To me a good QB elevates the program more than any other position.

I still don’t know how we didn’t even make any contact with Kiffin or Freeze. Zero contact

I think Josh Heupel’s main and alarming weakness is going to be his recruiting.

Reactions: sona

VN Store

Back