Trey Smith's prognosis?

IF he has to remain on anticoagulants, there is a zero percent chance that any doctor would clear him to play football. I do not know particular details of his condition, but this sounds likely to be the case.

recurring blood clots are the kind of thing that end football careers. Not just college, but pro too. Like "the end, have a nice life".

Sucks to have a career blown up like that.

These threads are stupid. Name one professional athlete that plays a contact sport that had recurrent PE/DVT problems that competed again/ is still competing. Instead of making this same thread, do a little research on the subject. Barring some break through in anticoagulant drugs. If I had to bet money hes on Eliquis for life.
I did...

- aspirin is considered a blood thinner too, I’m talking real drugs and I doubt any hematologists would let a patient inject themselves w/ lovenox at will regardless.
-You can’t even take NSAIDs and be on anticoagulants.
While I applaud your enthusiasm for Tennessee football, I don’t really think you understand the mechanism of the drugs to keep recurring clots from happening and keeping people alive and the impact of being on said drugs has

Correct. The huy you are debating with here is overlooking the biggest points. DVTs are different than pulmonary embolisms. Also, Trey has already had a reoccurance in the lungs in a year. There is no way that he isn't taking blood thinners. While hockey is a physical sport, its not the same as football.

@jordanthegimp you are gonna make a good politician by changing the bar so much. I don't know anything about the condition and DID NOT claim to, but my wife is a scientist with a Pharma company for 30 years dealing with In-vivo drugs. I don't need to understand what the interactions are because clearly you know all about Trey and his medical team.
I am not an MD but I will argue like a lawyer on the internet (and in person according to her). You SAID Name One Pro Athlete I gave you 4, So You were wrong. Read this part... "There is debate in the medical community about whether it is safe to play contact sports while taking blood thinners due to the possibility of bleeding, but Fleischmann has been taking anticoagulants throughout his time with the Panthers." Is aspirin injectable? So what we have here is a little less cut and dried when you say the argument thread is stupid and no way he comes back I guess it depends on where his medical advice come from and whether they want to take the risk ( both Trey and the Drs). So wrong again.
NSAIDs and anticoagulants are contraindicative so OK??? is that evidence of something?

Ill add this one... Brian Vickers NASCAR driver has had both PE and DVT multiple times and he finished a Xarelto regimen and went back racing and yes he did finish taking it so not actively but it has happened several times. And being that he had a broken foot from a crash and head injury from another I would characterize that as contact sport from a risk standpoint. No reason Trey couldn't I spose. Thanks for the comment about enthusiasm for Vols football but I have coached kids over half my life and always want to see them do what is right for them not for their team or from peer pressure. I hope he doesn't for his sake since I would hate to see something tragic happen to the guy but I am confident he will either get a greenlight to make his own decision weighing the risks or he will get shutdown by the medical staff.

@BigOrangeTrain If you are talking about me being "the guy" I'm not overlooking anything. I am merely pointing out that Jordan is wrong on almost every point he has tried to make about WHY this discussion is stupid. His words not mine...
You said DVT and PE are different and they may be, but that's not what Jordan asked for He said and I quote "PE/DVT" that means either or IMO.
He said Anticoagulants and I provided proof. He said do a little research on the subject and I did and it appears that I eliminated most of his Statements of why the argument is stupid. I don't think Trey will be back be WE aren't his Drs and don't know.

Do a little research on Hockey being a "physical sport but not the same as football" before making an ignorant statement too... Meaning you don't think its as physical or more so? I have several friends that have played both collegiately pro, and semi pro and they said its no comparison.
Guys that skate off streaming blood to get stitched up and come back 5 mins later?
Guys that spit out teeth bleeding from their mouth, concussion from open Ice hits, Fighting, getting slammed into boards, glass and plastic 3-4 nights out of 7 for 82 games? Please...
He said anticoagulants and I provided evidence to that effect with multiple pro athletes in contact sports. Although I doubt there would be multiple articles and reports and interviews over a player taking aspirin I don't know what anticoagulants they are taking I just shot down the assertion that they couldn't play.

Are u a doctor or just know this kinda stuff?

It doesn't take a doctor to realize the risks with this kinda thing. I've seen people die from this, including my own Mother.

I hope the best for Trey, but the odds of him returning to play are long. Crying shame, but that is life.

VN Store

Back