Trey Smith- Leaving early or staying?

I'll leave this here for the purposes of the health questions... See my post #80 about other professional athletes that have blood clot issues.
Trey Smith Discussion
He would undoubtedly be a top OL pick but for the health concerns and Im sure he ( the coaching staff) will get a feel from the NFL guys as to how much it will hurt his stock this year trying to come out after only 1 season without issues.

The only way he does and should come back is if he doesn't get medical clearance from the NFL teams. One of them will take a chance on him, but I doubt he gets a lot of guaranteed money. The medical clearance is more about protecting the teams investment than protecting Trey's health.

Will big trey smith run for the money with his health a question or will he stay for his degree and play another year then make the jump. Hes got 1st round talent all over him but the blood clots is an issue unless they truly have it handled properly now.
Come back for that senior campaign mr smith! Let's win something big next year and leave the program better for it!

Hell, I don't know. Go ask him.

This is a 50/50 imo. He doesn't practice but still performs at a high level. He could play if cleared but will a team take a chance? My he's is he decides to come back and play another year in an attempt to put fears to rest. It's a huge gamble though and I hope whatever he decides works to his advantage

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I absolutely love this guy and wish him only the very best, regardless of his choice. That said, I wonder how this plays in:
At UT, even playing in the S.E.C. he's a real stand-out, superb lineman.
On the roster of any NFL team, he's a ROOKIE...newest, least experienced kid on the block. Pretty much everybody who has a successful career in the NFL was a STAR in college. To be successful at that level...like any other rookie, he will have to prove himself to professional coaches, and to his teammates. That's a heck of a challenge for a kid who can't even make a full week's practice at the college level.

Trey is a very special young man on and off the field as a person.

He'll be successful no matter what he ends up doing and we're very lucky to have him as a true VFL.

We call him a Beast and, for the most part he really is at the college level.

Some games he comes up against some D linemen that will be great in the NFL and they challenge him and really make him work harder.

In the NFL he'll be fighting against the best of the best every single day.

NFL coaches WILL need him to practice, learn and get better at his craft.

He hardly practiced much this season because our coaches and Medical experts have him on a special plan so he can play.

I have no idea how that would work out in the NFL when he needs to practice and get better.

He's been through so much already and he's stood strong and never given up and he's given all of us so much already to cheer about.

I admire and and respect him so much and I want what's best for him so I'll support him 100% no matter what he decides is best for him.

If he decides to leave then I hope he does well in the NFL and he gets a honest shot at success.

I'd hate it if he left and didn't get a honest shot and he always regretted not playing his last year as a Vol.

All the best and God bless you young man!

VFL...GBO!!!

I absolutely love this guy and wish him only the very best, regardless of his choice. That said, I wonder how this plays in:
On the roster of any NFL team, he's a ROOKIE...newest, least experienced kid on the block. Pretty much everybody who has a successful career in the NFL was a STAR in college. To be successful at that level...like any other rookie, he will have to prove himself to professional coaches, and to his teammates. That's a heck of a challenge for a kid who can't even make a full week's practice at the college level.
On the other side though, many pro teams hit very little at all in practices now days.

If I understand correctly the reason he doesn’t practice is due to the pharmaceutical cycle with blood thinners and contact. He still practices just without contact. At the pro level it’s my understanding that practices typically include less contact than at the college level and that’s part of the Players agreement.
A big question for the draft and potential return is his position. Guard or Tackle?
Tackles typically are better paid so if he returned would there potentially be a position switch.... or in the NFL

Another question is player insurance. Does he have a policy this year and would he qualify for one next year that covers this condition.

I will support him either way. Given the uncertainty of his medical condition, I would certainly understand him going for the money rather than chance a reoccurrence preventing his chances to play in the pros. He has certainly given his all for Tennessee and deserves our support and understanding. IF he returns it would be monumental for the ascension of Tennessee football. Shades of Peyton Manning’s return for his senior season. All the reasons to leave early, but yearning for another season in “them orange britches!”

GO VOLS

I actually think he stays, after feedback from NFL teams. They’ll likely want to see another year of him playing with his condition.

I think he could have practiced, but Pruitt, the training staff, and the team doctors were being extremely cautious given the complications associated with his condition. You don’t get a lot of players like Trey Smith. It was a prudent choice for both him and his future ability to play.

I just wish him the very best and hope everything works out for him, whatever that happens to be. Its funny how things work sometimes.

Blood clots in the lungs. Russell Okung OL for Chargers has the same condition and he is playing currently, but several other players were diagnosed and were unable to come back after treatment.
There are a number of coagulopathies that can lead to excessive clotting. None of us are privy to knowledge of his exact genetic defect in the clotting cascade, so it's impossible to say that anyone in the NFL is playing with his condition. Privacy laws make this a completely unreasonable discussion.

Reactions: VOLSONLY and Remy
I think he could have practiced, but Pruitt, the training staff, and the team doctors were being extremely cautious given the complications associated with his condition.
In cases like this, "thinking" isn't really acceptable. The medical staff knows what is safe and what is not, given what most assuredly includes treatment with anticoagulants. Nobody is going to risk the young man's life for a game.

In cases like this, "thinking" isn't really acceptable. The medical staff knows what is safe and what is not, given what most assuredly includes treatment with anticoagulants. Nobody is going to risk the young man's life for a game.

I’m confused. Is that not what I said?

With all the olinemen entering the transfer portal does that mean they think Trey is staying next year? What's your alls thoughts on whether he stays another year?

VN Store

Back