Transfers to Tennessee

Both have stated they are transferring for positional purposes -- Austin wants to play show off her outside skills instead of being a traditional center, and Mabrey wants to be a point guard.

Mabrey is a very good outside shooter, and was not happy with being moved to off guard after VA Tech brought in Taja Cole. She would certainly add a different dimension to the team. The Mabrey family is known for their grittiness.

Austin would be a nice complement to Key.

two players transferring because they want to play another position, In the last few years a number of tall players have wanted to be the stretch forward (I really don't know that that means) however, Candice seemed to know the requirements.

Were Austin to come to the LVs would be to quote the definition of irony -an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

A key question for players and ultimate new universities is whether they will be able to play immediately or wait a year. Just for discussion if you were recruiting for the LVs and was considering a transfer versus a high school student for 2001-02 what would be your criteria one over the other.

two players transferring because they want to play another position, In the last few years a number of tall players have wanted to be the stretch forward (I really don't know that that means) however, Candice seemed to know the requirements.

Were Austin to come to the LVs would be to quote the definition of irony -an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

A key question for players and ultimate new universities is whether they will be able to play immediately or wait a year. Just for discussion if you were recruiting for the LVs and was considering a transfer versus a high school student for 2001-02 what would be your criteria one over the other.

stretch forward is a Power Forward that can hit shots consistently from the elbow-to-3 point arc.
They are called that because they can play the forward spot on defense, yet shoot the outside shot, thus making the opponent "stretch: the defense

Bill Lambeer, Karl Malone, Horace Grant,, were prototypes of this position,,,they took the "tough guy" PF defender position and made shooters out of them on offense bc they could hit the elbow-out shot consistently

I don't think this is what TN needs,,what we are missing is a power player who can do a reverse-pivot drive from the elbow, pass like a PG and shoot a face-up at the elbow. Let the guards and SG's shoot the long range, we need muscle.

stretch forward is a Power Forward that can hit shots consistently from the elbow-to-3 point arc.
They are called that because they can play the forward spot on defense, yet shoot the outside shot, thus making the opponent "stretch: the defense

Bill Lambeer, Karl Malone, Horace Grant,, were prototypes of this position,,,they took the "tough guy" PF defender position and made shooters out of them on offense bc they could hit the elbow-out shot consistently

I don't think this is what TN needs,,what we are missing is a power player who can do a reverse-pivot drive from the elbow, pass like a PG and shoot a face-up at the elbow. Let the guards and SG's shoot the long range, we need muscle.

Very good analysis. I don't disagree with our need for muscle, or for the reverse-pivot drive and the other listed skills .... but, we really do need shooters at the four position; which, to me, is the most-attractive aspect to Karoline's game. A huge part of her "strength" will be that long-range stroke. Not telling ...I'm asking for your expertise - for a little more clarity.

Last edited:
Irony Mimi Collins transferred to Maryland. = Austin then to the LVs

Coach your reference to men from the past NBA is no doubt accurate but what I was trying to reference is those players who want offensively face the basket rather than post . As a recent example Kennedy Brown 6'6" now a freshman at Oregon State was very clear in being recruited that she wanted to be a stretch forward. (whatever that means in women's basketball)

Reactions: 37620VOL
Irony Mimi Collins transferred to Maryland. = Austin then to the LVs

Coach your reference to men from the past NBA is no doubt accurate but what I was trying to reference is those players who want offensively face the basket rather than post . As a recent example Kennedy Brown 6'6" now a freshman at Oregon State was very clear in being recruited that she wanted to be a stretch forward. (whatever that means in women's basketball)

I reference men bc I grew up watching them. Specifically the pros.

When I work with a team I work with this philosophy,,,"train em like men, treat em like women"

The offense I run is Uath Jazz "Hi-Post" with a Point-Forward (Karl, John) and sometimes I run showtime (Magic, Kareem, J Worthy) and even run a triangle like Shaq,Kobe, ?, or, Michael, Scottie and anyone). My defense is straight out of Detroit Pistons Bad Boy D.

You can see me run a hi-post even with a very young team

I run the hi-post very successfully with females and the triangle only after developing their BB IQ's, as that offense puts the control in the hands of the players and takes a high IQ.

I use male role models for my female players BC I have yet to see a Karl Malone, Charles Oakley, Bill Laimbeer type of role model in the female genre...

KK could have easily been one. Cheridene was close. But neither were developed fully as intimidators like the mentioned NBA players or others like (Rick Mahorn, Kevin Garnet, Shawn Kemp, Moses Malone, Dennis Rodman).....Guys like these, no one messed with, but each other!

If I worked with T Key, I would teach her the sky hook of Kareem with the reverse-pivot-fade of Patrick Ewing as a counter... With Rae, it would be the hi-post reverse-pivot drive of the mailman and the reverse pivot stepback of MJ,,,With Jordan Horston the face up moves of MJ and the defensive tactics of Gary Payton.

I use male role models bc the female role models for most of these guys don't exist,,,yet!

Diana Taurasi, one of the greatest all-around guards of all time for women, but who's game can you compare it with? And how can I teach something I have only seen sporadically?

Train em like men, treat em like women !!!

Reactions: stlvolsfan

The lady Vols need quickness and offensive skills. Playing with slow bigs inside will not work today. Give me one big for defense and rebounding and four 3 point shooters with quickness. The 3 point shot is the biggest game changer in women's basketball and thus the most important .

Reactions: Prophet1
The lady Vols need quickness and offensive skills. Playing with slow bigs inside will not work today. Give me one big for defense and rebounding and four 3 point shooters with quickness. The 3 point shot is the biggest game changer in women's basketball and thus the most important .

I’m pretty sure Baylor didn’t follow that game plan and beat a Notre Dame team known for 3 point shooting. That was for a Natty.

Kim Mulkey even made comments about how her offense was supposed to be “outdated” and people made jokes about them but when you’re good your good.

I’m pretty sure Baylor didn’t follow that game plan and beat a Notre Dame team known for 3 point shooting. That was for a Natty.

Kim Mulkey even made comments about how her offense was supposed to be “outdated” and people made jokes about them but when you’re good your good.
It also helped that they were built around a 6'7 mountain and a versatile 6'4 player that could defend any position on the court. If Brown got the ball in the block defended 1-on-1, she was going to score. That monster frontcourt more than made up for the fact that they had an "outdated" offense.

It also helped that they were built around a 6'7 mountain and a versatile 6'4 player that could defend any position on the court. If Brown got the ball in the block defended 1-on-1, she was going to score. That monster frontcourt more than made up for the fact that they had an "outdated" offense.

I know that... you know that... I think that was the point of her comment why wouldn’t she go into her posts when they were a lethal combo but lots of people were saying they wouldn’t win it all.

Ohio State women’s basketball freshman guard Kierstan Bell entering transfer portal. Coach Sully recruited her at OH. Maybe we get her?

This is a player ..... but would have to sit a year! Would be eligible when Jaz is a senior and Jordan and Zaay and Rennie are juniors .

I don’t think a true point but she is a top ten guard from 2019 class . And would have 3 years to play !

Last edited:
This is a player ..... but would have to sit a year! Would be eligible when Jaz is a senior and Jordan and Zaay and Rennie are juniors .

I don’t think a true point but she is a top ten guard from 2019 class . And would have 3 years to play !
She may not have to sit if they approve the 1 time no sit rule that they’re suppose to vote on next month(ish).

someone posted a picture of the two of the Ohio players together during recruitment time. 1) do the LVs need a point guard who is available for next year? 2) will the NCAA change the transfer rules to be in effect next year? 3: is this player an option with or without #2 being in effect and 4) what other options (players graduates or transfers) are in consideration?

summary: I would not want to be a recruiter or a young woman making a decision.

Hate to even bring up the current global situation but have to wonder how it may potentially impact decisions to transfer and/or turn pro in a few instances.

If.the crisis abates enough to even have a season, the NCAA may factor in this seadon's upheaval and disruption to the lives of student-athletes, thus granting them immediate eligibility for a one-time transfer (if that hasn't already been decided).

If, God forbid, there is no season...or there is only a shortened season beginning second semester...then a tranferring player would miss less actual playing time even if having to sit out a calendar year. Presumably, a canceled season would mean the player could effectively transfer with no penalty even under the old rules. It would be inredibly harsh to demand that the player have to sit out two consecutive years to insure they'd miss actual games.

The latter is a worst-case scenario, but we don't know the long-term effect and requirements of this pandemic. We all hope for the best and for a vaccine to be developed soon, but there has been some speculation that there will be waves of the virus reappearing (less severe each time) and that physical distancing may last much longer than originally thought. And they weren't talking June or July, either.

Maybe that's being too pessimistic, but you have to think that this has shaken up the idea of carefully-laid plans. Those athletes returning to play for championships have to have jolted by what they saw happen to high-profile seniors this year. Players may be more inclined to gamble with moves that would have seemed riskier a year ago.

Edit: For reference, see the current Top 4 threads in the football forum re: whether or not there will be a 2020 season (or a 2021 season, for that matter).

Last edited:
Reactions: krichunaka
relative to creekdippers observations is the impack of lost revenues (1) the basketball March the biggest $$ for many universities and of course football. Many sports will be impacted, especially the non revenue generating ones. The LVs have some advantages from having paying fans. but all speculation on one of a myriad of decisions to be made by human beings who have no precedents to assist nor a vision of whats next.

Very good analysis. I don't disagree with our need for muscle, or for the reverse-pivot drive and the other listed skills .... but, we really do need shooters at the four position; which, to me, is the most-attractive aspect to Karoline's game. A huge part of her "strength" will be that long-range stroke. Not telling ...I'm asking for your expertise - for a little more clarity.

What we need most is a shooter...that shoots!
I was so distraught watching Lou play for that reason alone.
I could get past her limitation on defense but she passed up more shots than ,, "an AlAnon at a wetbar"

Reactions: VolBalls33

VN Store

Back