Transfer Tyreke Key (Tennessee commit)

I just asked a question. I’m not reaching for anything. Since you think it so hilarious, would you have taken him?
Yes? It’s an upgrade over Bailey at the very least. We’ve got several spots to fill.

All he said is he shouldn’t be running our offense or we would be in major trouble.

Athletic ranking of best fits from transfer portal:

The top transfer portal commits and their fits so far

29. Tyreke Key | 6-3 guard | senior | Transferred from Indiana State to Tennessee

The Scout: Key missed this entire season at Indiana State following shoulder surgery, but he is a multi-time first-team All-Missouri Valley Conference player who is about as terrific a scorer as you’ll find at that level. He’s very polished and poised, a ground-bound player for the most part who gets by with terrific footwork and strength to bump guys off their spot. Indiana State back under Greg Lansing would even use him as a pseudo-post-up/mid-post option where he could use those drop steps and spin moves to score. Plus, prior to the shoulder injury he could really step away and knock down shots. That percentage took a bit of a dive in his senior season in 2021, but the hope is that he can get back to the level he was at previously, where there were few more efficient high-volume scorers at the high mid-major level. There are some questions here with him returning from injury, which is why he falls below guys like Reeves and Carter from the Missouri Valley. But at his best, he’s very much in their group and maybe even better.

The Fit: Key goes to a spot where the coach likes a good post-up, and that’s where he thrives. Rick Barnes is usually feeding a bigger player like Grant Williams, but he’d be smart to invert the floor with Key. The question marks here are whether Key can find his jump shot again — he shot 41 percent from 3 during his sophomore and junior seasons — and whether he’s athletic enough to hang in the SEC. His skillset should diversify Tennessee’s offense. The Vols had speed and shooting on the perimeter last season but didn’t really have an isolation scorer like him who could work in the mid-range.

Regardless what the haters say, I think Key will be a solid addition.
I think the "haters" suspect that he'll be a solid addition. They wanted more than solid out of the portal, and I'm fine with that criticism. Now, when the dust settles, and Key is perhaps one of the least-heralded members of the signing class, then I think everyone is happy. If he ends up being our headliner, that's a problem unless he grossly outperforms expectations.

I think the "haters" suspect that he'll be a solid addition. They wanted more than solid out of the portal, and I'm fine with that criticism. Now, when the dust settles, and Key is perhaps one of the least-heralded members of the signing class, then I think everyone is happy. If he ends up being our headliner, that's a problem unless he grossly outperforms expectations.

Yeah, I think the “hater” commentary has been a bit overblown. I don’t see many “haters” on this forum other than the stands trolls we all know about. I think the concern is primarily that BTO seems to believe our portal haul as of today will be Key/Likekele. Considering the immense amount of talent in the portal this off-season, I think it’s fair for people to be disappointed if that’s the best we can do and don’t pull someone with a higher ceiling.

Now, if we land Phillips that offsets the sting a bit. But, there is just so much talent in the portal and you’d hope we could parlay the season we just had into something a bit better. We can revisit though once the dust settles.

Yeah, I think the “hater” commentary has been a bit overblown. I don’t see many “haters” on this forum other than the stands trolls we all know about. I think the concern is primarily that BTO seems to believe our portal haul as of today will be Key/Likekele. Considering the immense amount of talent in the portal this off-season, I think it’s fair for people to be disappointed if that’s the best we can do and don’t pull someone with a higher ceiling.

Now, if we land Phillips that offsets the sting a bit. But, there is just so much talent in the portal and you’d hope we could parlay the season we just had into something a bit better. We can revisit though once the dust settles.
So no momentum with Hunter at the moment?

One of the bigger problems is that "haters" and "Eeyores", which are much more prevalent, often share the same talking points. Many of us just grow weary of prognostications of doom before the facts are in. Maybe after the first week of fall practice would be a good time to report on indicated success and failure based on some court time with the entire haul of additions. Hiding behind BVS status has little value add. I suspect that many of the middle ground and positive leaning fans simply look at the creativity Coach has demonstrated in adding folks like Santi and ZZZ and are holding on to the hope there is more to come.

One of the bigger problems is that "haters" and "Eeyores", which are much more prevalent, often share the same talking points. Many of us just grow weary of prognostications of doom before the facts are in. Maybe after the first week of fall practice would be a good time to report on indicated success and failure based on some court time with the entire haul of additions. Hiding behind BVS status has little value add. I suspect that many of the middle ground and positive leaning fans simply look at the creativity Coach has demonstrated in adding folks like Santi and ZZZ and are holding on to the hope there is more to come.
That's fine, but I can appreciate the idea of discussing the here and now. It isn't as if we simply missed on our first or second option. It would be different if we missed on one kid, and the gloom and doomers came out in full force with guns a blazin', but we went the entire fall period and missed on our first 10 options. And then when the transfer portal opened up, we missed on several primary options there, too. And that is coming off a tremendous season and an abundance of available minutes, especially at PG. If we wait until fall to discuss it, good or bad, the basketball forum would be quite boring in spring and summer.

That's fine, but I can appreciate the idea of discussing the here and now. It isn't as if we simply missed on our first or second option. It would be different if we missed on one kid, and the gloom and doomers came out in full force with guns a blazin', but we went the entire fall period and missed on our first 10 options. And then when the transfer portal opened up, we missed on several primary options there, too. And that is coming off a tremendous season and an abundance of available minutes, especially at PG. If we wait until fall to discuss it, good or bad, the basketball forum would be quite boring in spring and summer.

Whatever..... it ain't over till......................... No telling how many surprises are on the horizon. I doubt Coach and staff are drawing blanks. Might even be getting tips on how to add some talent from our other BB coach. You really think we will have a short bench this season?

Reactions: The Dog
Whatever..... it ain't over till......................... No telling how many surprises are on the horizon. I doubt Coach and staff are drawing blanks. Might even be getting tips on how to add some talent from our other BB coach. You really think we will have a short bench this season?
ok

I wondered why Barnes said Key would start at point. After watching last night game I understand. He is very physical, drives with his head down and can hit the 3 if left open. Great addition.

I only follow 2 basketball teams (vols and grizzlies) someone probably has a better comp. But he reminds me of Desmond Bane. Would be thrilled with that.
I'm sticking with my comp of him to Desmond Bane. Nothing flashy, just gets buckets and can flat out shoot. Best player on the floor last night.

Reactions: TitanicVolz
I'm just happy someone transferred in who had the ability to take the "athletic dad bod" mantle from luc lipcius

He looks like that older guy at the rec center in 1982. That guy looks slow but he scores 40 and seems to make every shot he takes.

Reactions: 67Vol

VN Store

Back