Transfer portal discussion

I would say if Hyatt returns there is no way possible we take a portal guy. If he doesn't and there is a big potential guy its possible. I just believe we have more pressing needs and have talent at the WR position already
Who do you see as our top 5 receivers coming back next season?

I don’t think he will. He has been schemed wide open on a lot of his receptions. I don’t think that wins him points.

He needs to prove he’s physical enough also. UT hides him often to prevent opponents from getting hands on him at the LOS.

If he goes it will be a mistake IMO
All that matters is where he gets graded out and drafted.

And it only takes one team to make it happen.

He’s gone.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
All that matters is where he gets graded out and drafted.

And it only takes one team to make it happen.

He’s gone.
It will be a mistake if he does.

I'm not convinced he's going to get that grade though. The concerns I mentioned are real and won't go unnoticed. I think UT will be fine regardless. The Vols are deep with talent at receiver and are a very attractive destination for portal players. But Hyatt isn't NFL ready.

I'm not convinced he's going to get that grade though. The concerns I mentioned are real and won't go unnoticed. I think UT will be fine regardless. The Vols are deep with talent at receiver and are a very attractive destination for portal players. But Hyatt isn't NFL ready.
Hyatt being “ready” or not is completely immaterial.

All that matters is if he stays, or goes.

I thought I read he is currently projected 1st round.

I’d be absolutely shocked if Hyatt is back

200.gif

Reactions: Vol in Tears
Hyatt being “ready” or not is completely immaterial.
No it isn't. He will not have a reason to go if he isn't ready. There will come a time pretty soon when he will get a draft assessment. Someone will sit down and review his film. They'll evaluate whether he can block NFL safeties and possibly LBs. They'll look at whether he can get off press coverage against NFL DBs. They'll review every route he ran and catch opportunity to see how it translates to the NFL.

His readiness is ALL that really matters in the context of the risks he wants to assume. There are risks both ways. He's going to get enough NIL money to stay... but he could get injured. However if he goes too early then it could damage his career also.

Heath Shuler left early. He did that in part because he was projected to the Redskins and that had always been his team. Whether another year would have made him more ready... he was NOT ready when he went. He flopped with the Redskins. He got another shot with the Saints but had a career ending injury. I don't believe in "luck". God works things out in ways we don't always understand. But his career could have been much different.

Reactions: beachvol23
No it isn't. He will not have a reason to go if he isn't ready. There will come a time pretty soon when he will get a draft assessment. Someone will sit down and review his film. They'll evaluate whether he can block NFL safeties and possibly LBs. They'll look at whether he can get off press coverage against NFL DBs. They'll review every route he ran and catch opportunity to see how it translates to the NFL.

His readiness is ALL that really matters in the context of the risks he wants to assume. There are risks both ways. He's going to get enough NIL money to stay... but he could get injured. However if he goes too early then it could damage his career also.

Heath Shuler left early. He did that in part because he was projected to the Redskins and that had always been his team. Whether another year would have made him more ready... he was NOT ready when he went. He flopped with the Redskins. He got another shot with the Saints but had a career ending injury. I don't believe in "luck". God works things out in ways we don't always understand. But his career could have been much different.
None of the 2500 words you typed out changes anything.

Hyatt’s readiness to leave is completely immaterial to Tennessee.

The only thing that matters is what he decides to do.

None of the 2500 words you typed out changes anything.

Hyatt’s readiness to leave is completely immaterial to Tennessee.

The only thing that matters is what he decides to do.
Hyatt's readiness determines whether he leaves or not. Whether he leaves or not is material to UT.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Hyatt’s grade and potential paycheck will determine if he leaves.
Agree. That was kind of my point. There are some people speculating but if we're honest a lot of his yards came on plays when he was schemed open. That's great but not what the NFL is looking for. He will get a draft grade. Maybe they won't care about his size or that he hasn't demonstrated the physicality he will need... but I suspect they will.

All that matters to Tennessee - will be what he chooses to do.
LOL You seem to be arguing just to argue now. Of course all that matters to UT is whether he returns or not... but that means what he's told by his evaluator is important to UT.

I haven't seen that. I've heard guys speculate and throw things out. But those were talking heads just going off stats.
Sports is Illustrated and NFL Draft BuzZ have him in the top 20. PFF has him late 70’s and they have Hooker and Bryant Young listed in the late 40’s for comparison.

This was about a 5 minute review by Google
. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: 19_GBO_19
I try to see if I can locate any.
Not worth a ton of effort on your part.

My concern is actually for him than for UT. It think Squirrel and others can step into those shoes. I also think any slot receiver in the portal... and maybe some considering the portal... would see replacing him as a golden opportunity.

Reactions: Ratvol
Hyatt's skillset is still a legitimate question for NFL teams. So far at UT, he's proven that he has elite speed and typically good hands. The receiving numbers (yards + TDs) don't lie, but there are some unanswered questions. Hyatt hasn't shown the ability to make people miss (without running around them) and he's not had to catch many contested balls. That's not a KNOCK on Hyatt. It's more a testament to our coaching staff and their ability to scheme him open. The number of TDs he's had where he's caught the ball with 5 yards of separation and no one around him is insane. While it does showcase his speed, it's more about the coaching staff, and WRs with speed are easy to find in the draft.

I love Jalin. I'll be his biggest fan if he goes to the NFL this offseason. But I think many people are getting caught up on his numbers rather than assessing him as a complete WR.

Additionally, if Keyton, Bru and Squirrel come back next season, I don't see CJH searching the portal for WRs. I think he likes what he's got and these guys have now all been in the system (as have another group of guys right behind them). Knowing the system is more critical than talent level at WR for CJH.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Stacmot
Not worth a ton of effort on your part.

My concern is actually for him than for UT. It think Squirrel and others can step into those shoes. I also think any slot receiver in the portal... and maybe some considering the portal... would see replacing him as a golden opportunity.
I agree. All Hyatt has to do is look at his fellow WR Tillman and see that staying an extra year has risks that may see his draft status drop. If has good evaluations from NFL teams and scouts he should go and it appears he will have them

Hyatt reminds me of the 2 tOSU who went into the draft last year (Wilson & Olave). Smaller WRs with elite speed and really only 1 highly productive year in college (more Wilson than Olave, Olave had 3 solid years of production).

Hyatt is a solid route running, improved hands (despite those 2 drops last week), and can absolutely take the top off the defense. He probably going to run well in the 40 so he has a great chance of being at worst 2nd round pick.

I personally think he is gone but would be extremely happy if he came back.

Agree. That was kind of my point. There are some people speculating but if we're honest a lot of his yards came on plays when he was schemed open. That's great but not what the NFL is looking for. He will get a draft grade. Maybe they won't care about his size or that he hasn't demonstrated the physicality he will need... but I suspect they will.

LOL You seem to be arguing just to argue now. Of course all that matters to UT is whether he returns or not... but that means what he's told by his evaluator is important to UT.
You’re going in circles now.

I don’t care if Hyatt is ready, or not
It doesn’t matter if he’s ready, or not

All that matters is his decision to stay or go. That’s it. Any other discussion is immaterial.

VN Store

Back