Transfer Portal Thread

At best Chandler is going to be our only PG of any sure skills. Where do we go if he ends up being injury prone or not expected to be all that good at that spot? Then we have to rely on PG with what we had last year and I don't think that will be in our best interest. I hope I am wrong.
With all due respect, how often is the #1 high school PG in the nation not expected to be all that good at spot?

With all due respect, how often is the #1 high school PG in the nation not expected to be all that good at spot?
I am not trying to throw shade at the young man. I hope he leads us to a Nat championship. I have seen too many 5 stars crash at the collegiate level. My real fear is his health holding up. Look at the number of players who get hurt each year. As for Powell, does he have good PG skills We have seen all too many of our players turn the ball over last year. All I am saying is that we need anotherer true PG to relieve Chandler, just in case.

If I were to bet, I’d bet Santiago starts at the 2

I think that there could be about 9 different starters during the season even if there are zero minutes lost to injuries. I think that Vescovi starts at the 2 early but Powell will be sitting right next to the coaches ready to go if Santiago doesn’t elevate his game. Those two might be battling over the 2 spot all year. JJJ and BHH could be in a battle as well if somehow Vescovi and Powell grab 2 and 3. But IMO it will be hard to keep JJJ and BHH off of the court. Even if Fulk is back to his best he might run into difficulty hanging on to minutes. I wouldn’t even be shocked to see 4 true freshman starting or getting the majority of the minutes by a week or three into February.

I think that there could be about 9 different starters during the season even if there are zero minutes lost to injuries. I think that Vescovi starts at the 2 early but Powell will be sitting right next to the coaches ready to go if Santiago doesn’t elevate his game. Those two might be battling over the 2 spot all year. JJJ and BHH could be in a battle as well if somehow Vescovi and Powell grab 2 and 3. But IMO it will be hard to keep JJJ and BHH off of the court. Even if Fulk is back to his best he might run into difficulty hanging on to minutes. I wouldn’t even be shocked to see 4 true freshman starting or getting the majority of the minutes by a week or three into February.

I would be shocked to see 4 TF starting but I do agree with your second half of that statement. If we're winning and playing well at a high level as a team it's probably because those freshmen are excelling.

I would be shocked to see 4 TF starting but I do agree with your second half of that statement. If we're winning and playing well at a high level as a team it's probably because those freshmen are excelling.

I wouldn’t be shocked because I think it’s almost certain that Chandler and BHH take two spots. Then Aidoo could be in the 5 spot if Fulkerson doesn’t return to form. I’m not predicting that Mashack passes JJJ in the rotation, but I could see him beating out Bailey, Vescovi, and Powell.

Chandler
Mashack
JJJ
BHH
Aidoo

It’s possible. I kind of like it other than having little experience on the floor.

I wouldn’t be shocked because I think it’s almost certain that Chandler and BHH take two spots. Then Aidoo could be in the 5 spot if Fulkerson doesn’t return to form. I’m not predicting that Mashack passes JJJ in the rotation, but I could see him beating out Bailey, Vescovi, and Powell.

Chandler
Mashack
JJJ
BHH
Aidoo

It’s possible. I kind of like it other than having little experience on the floor.
I would love to see it happen, but only because they're beating out those in front of them, not because they aren't playing well haha.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
If I know Barnes, these freshmen will have to earn every minute of playing time.

They will have to play defense at a high level. It wouldn’t be a stretch for Mashack to outperform Bailey on that end of the court. Aidoo versus Fulk could be a toss up. Fulk has years of experience but he needs to put back the weight that COVID stole.

They will have to play defense at a high level. It wouldn’t be a stretch for Mashack to outperform Bailey on that end of the court. Aidoo versus Fulk could be a toss up. Fulk has years of experience but he needs to put back the weight that COVID stole.

Yeah, I think Mashack is a sleeper, too. He'll get on the floor sooner and play more minutes if he is terrific on defense, which he is advertised to be. But I don't think Aidoo will take minutes from Fulky. There's just no substitute for that experience, plus Aidoo isn't exactly massive, either. I see Fulk getting 25-30 at the 5, and Aidoo and Uros getting the rest. By end of season Aidoo might be getting more. And I wouldn't be surprised to see ORN start over BHH early in the season, then watch BHH take over gradually. The only freshman I see starting right away is Chandler, but he'll still have to earn it.

I would be curious to see what Victor Bailey’s stats are as a starter vs when he’s coming off the bench. I believe they’re quite different. It could be a mental thing, and it could change, but i wouldn’t count on him being the most productive off the bench. - I could be wrong though. He’s more than capable of doing it.

I would be curious to see what Victor Bailey’s stats are as a starter vs when he’s coming off the bench. I believe they’re quite different. It could be a mental thing, and it could change, but i wouldn’t count on him being the most productive off the bench. - I could be wrong though. He’s more than capable of doing it.

IIRC he was playing well as a starter at the beginning of the season and regressed when he was coming off of the bench. But the opposition was much better after 2020 ended as well. The 2 things that I remember most are VJ making a bunch of shots to seal a win or two and also causing a few loses by continuing to shoot when he couldn’t make a basket. I’d rather he shoot less, but he hasn’t brought much else to the mix.

What we can all agree on is Kennedy chandler will be the starter at point...other positions are up for grabs after that.

While Im not sure it will happen on day 1, given the versatility that Powell brings it’s hard not to see him starting this year at one of the first 3 spots. BHH is the biggest potential X factor for me. Not sure what to expect a high school senior to do at his position at this level. I’m expecting to see a lot more of JJJ there at least to start but ideally BHH can play well and they can have more flexibility in playing JJJ at the 3. Still concerned about backup post duties. As much as I’m unsure about BHH at the 4 certainly less confident w him playing the post but again that’s why I think he’s the biggest X factor. Maybe he can and it would alleviate what is still the most glaring weakness in our rotation

Last edited:
Reactions: ArdentVol
While Im not sure it will happen on day 1, given the versatility that Powell brings it’s hard not to see him starting this year at one of the first 3 spots. BHH is the biggest potential X factor for me. Not sure what to expect a high school senior to do at his position at this level. I’m expecting to see a lot more of JJJ there at least to start but ideally BHH can play well and they can have more flexibility in playing JJJ at the 3. Still concerned about backup post duties. As much as I’m unsure about BHH at the 4 certainly less confident w him playing the post but again that’s why I think he’s the biggest X factor. Maybe he can and it would alleviate what is still the most glaring weakness in our rotation
The concern with most reclassifiers would be physical maturity and social maturity. Physically, he is ready. No doubt about it. He can handle himself amongst the class of the league. He was originally a 2021 kid, anyway, so his reclassification back to 2021 is merely a formality. Watch some of the Ling of the Court competition, and he more than holds his own.

The bigger concern for me is how does he mature, socially? For a kid that has spent a good deal of time at academies away from home, already, it would seem that there shouldn’t be a huge adjustment, socially. Hopefully that is the case.

Remy Martin entered the transfer portal today (the ASU player, not the cognac). His first priority is going pro, but he is unlikely to be drafted. If we didn’t have Chandler, he would be a great get, 19 ppg the last two years. He undoubtedly would not want to be a reserve if he went back to college.

VN Store

Back