Transfer Portal Thread

I'm fine with toning down the hype a bit, but honestly, what do Vescovi and/or Bailey do better? I'll agree Vescovi catches more grief than probably deserved from our fans, but he has earned quite a bit of it, as well. And Bailey is merely a spot-up shooter, and a streaky one at that.

Powell's stats come from an admittedly small sample size, but what you see on the floor is pretty evident. He's already, at worst, an equal ball-handler to either Bailey or Vescovi. He is bigger and better at getting to the rim on drives. He's a better rebounder than Bailey and at least as good as Vescovi, if not better considering their relative size. As noted, a limited sample size, but he appears to be just as good of a shooter, and his size lends to his advantage there, again. Bailey and Vescovi may both be better FT shooters, but Powell shot 76.5% on 34 attempts, which is probably enough to justify that he isn't going to fall completely off that mark. It's hard to imagine he'd be a worse defender than Bailey and I'd imagine is at least close to Vescovi, who isn't great, himself.

I'm fine with the belief that Powell won't come in and take their playing time with little effort, but I just don't see where Vescovi and Bailey are clear upgrades unless you think Powell's 10 games at Auburn were a total fluke.

Has nothing to do with if they are upgrades or not. What we know historically is Barnes trust players he's had in his system more than players he hasn't.

Talent wise Powell, BHH, Aidoo, Chandler, Mashack all could in theory be ahead of our entire rotation with the exception of JJJ probably. But they'll have to earn trust and prove it. I just don't know if Powell will do that as quickly as the more athletic guys who are playing positions of need.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I think that Vescovi has had a huge transition to make. He arrived late December 2019 or early 2020 and had been basically playing AAU/All Star type of basketball for years. How long had it been since he had played actual team oriented basketball instead of highlight film games? Plus he didn’t get the benefit of off season practice… he was out of the country again last off season. Vescovi could be the most improved. He passes pretty well when he’s under control and could be a perfect complement to Chandler. I think that Chandler can make JJJ a more effective offensive threat as well. Plus Fulk’s best offensive game was often the transition game and running the court. Having enough playing time to go around might be the biggest obstacle in 2021-22.

Crazy to think that JJJ & Santi both are entering their 3rd year on campus and neither has gotten a full off-season yet. I'm hopeful we see both make big strides this year (hopefully staying healthy and getting the full benefits of a full off-season of conditioning and training).

Hey TGO, is there a guy or two on the roster that you are down on at all?
Relative to fan expectations I’d put any one of the new guys. I think fans in general tend to get excited and overestimate what a first year or transfer is going to do. Despite it happening seemingly every year

I'm fine with toning down the hype a bit, but honestly, what do Vescovi and/or Bailey do better? I'll agree Vescovi catches more grief than probably deserved from our fans, but he has earned quite a bit of it, as well. And Bailey is merely a spot-up shooter, and a streaky one at that.

Powell's stats come from an admittedly small sample size, but what you see on the floor is pretty evident. He's already, at worst, an equal ball-handler to either Bailey or Vescovi. He is bigger and better at getting to the rim on drives. He's a better rebounder than Bailey and at least as good as Vescovi, if not better considering their relative size. As noted, a limited sample size, but he appears to be just as good of a shooter, and his size lends to his advantage there, again. Bailey and Vescovi may both be better FT shooters, but Powell shot 76.5% on 34 attempts, which is probably enough to justify that he isn't going to fall completely off that mark. It's hard to imagine he'd be a worse defender than Bailey and I'd imagine is at least close to Vescovi, who isn't great, himself.

I'm fine with the belief that Powell won't come in and take their playing time with little effort, but I just don't see where Vescovi and Bailey are clear upgrades unless you think Powell's 10 games at Auburn were a total fluke.
I didnt say he won't get a lot of playing time, I just don't think he'll star and completely supercharge the team's offense like how some may expect. I hope and expect him to play better than Bailey did last year certainly, but I think Vescovi is going to improve a lot this year. Third year under Barnes, first real offseason, playing with a real PG for the first time, I'm looking for Vescovi to make a huge leap for us

Hey TGO, is there a guy or two on the roster that you are down on at all?

I’m waiting on Bailey, ORN, and Uros to make strides. But I’m not writing them off. ORN and Uros still have what, 3 years left? We need them to keep making progress and be upper class leaders down the road. I’m most disappointed in Bailey. I wish that he’d learn to stop shooting when he’s having an off night.

But in general, when the recruiting is better than it’s ever been it seems silly to me to be bashing the bench warmers.

I didnt say he won't get a lot of playing time, I just don't think he'll star and completely supercharge the team's offense like how some may expect. I hope and expect him to play better than Bailey did last year certainly, but I think Vescovi is going to improve a lot this year. Third year under Barnes, first real offseason, playing with a real PG for the first time, I'm looking for Vescovi to make a huge leap for us

Yeah, this is the first year that I think we get to see the real Vescovi. It will be interesting to see if he has already maxed out his ability, or maybe he has a whole other level that we have not seen yet.

Reactions: Vol49er
Yeah, this is the first year that I think we get to see the real Vescovi. It will be interesting to see if he has already maxed out his ability, or maybe he has a whole other level that we have not seen yet.

He won’t be playing out of position this year since Chandler is the one making plays.

I expect him to have a good year.

Reactions: i2amavol
Well, my post wasn’t directed at you (or anyone) specifically, and to the idea that “he’ll star and supercharge the offense”...that is why I said I’m fine with toning down the hype a bit. I don’t believe that he’ll do that right off the bat, and honestly can’t remember anyone suggesting that, though perhaps I missed it.

I hope you’re right on Vescovi. I just don’t believe he is suddenly going to discover his right hand, which really restricts him. The pandemic didn’t hamper his ability to train that skill. A lack of an off-season with the team didn’t hamper it, either. He’s just never learned to use it and it is a liability in his game. Hard to see that changing until he proves it. He’s also not going to suddenly become more athletic. Playing off the ball is, and always has been (IMO), his best position, but it most likely restricts him to primarily a spot-up shooter, which we have a need for.

I think teams figured him out during last offseason with a conference season full of film, and that if you force him right, he’s crippled. If you force him left, he’s stuck going left and isn’t really athletic enough to change directions and he’ll dribble until he runs out of real estate and likely leave his feet looking to pass. Can he fix that? I really hope he can. Being so one-hand dominant really hampers him and it’s compounded by his average athleticism. He can’t do much about the athleticism, but learning to use his off hand would open up so much more of his game.

To the poster who mentioned Barnes’s preferential deference to players with experience in his system, I don’t disagree with that idea, but once Powell gains that trust, then what separates the 3 players that will prevent Powell from seeing significant playing time? Another thing to consider is that I think it is arguable that Powell is a better PG option behind Chandler than either Bailey or Vescovi, too, especially against quicker teams that prefer to extend pressure into the backcourt.

It's rational to think we have yet to see the best of Vescovi. Not only has his development been short-changed by Covid and his late arrival in his first year, he's also been playing out of position as a PG. Even so, he improved defensively last season, despite injury. His shooting did not improve, especially consistency, but he has that smooth stroke as a starting point for development. I think he will likely be the back up at point unless Bailey or Powell takes that role. Even so, when relieved of main PG duties, he can focus n defense and shooting, and hunt his shot. I expect him to be the starting two, mainly because Barnes likes to have as many ball handlers in the game as he can get.

It's rational to think we have yet to see the best of Vescovi. Not only has his development been short-changed by Covid and his late arrival in his first year, he's also been playing out of position as a PG. Even so, he improved defensively last season, despite injury. His shooting did not improve, especially consistency, but he has that smooth stroke as a starting point for development. I think he will likely be the back up at point unless Bailey or Powell takes that role. Even so, when relieved of main PG duties, he can focus n defense and shooting, and hunt his shot. I expect him to be the starting two, mainly because Barnes likes to have as many ball handlers in the game as he can get.
Your last sentence is confusing because he is a questionable ball-handler (and that’s being kind).

Your last sentence is confusing because he is a questionable ball-handler (and that’s being kind).

Good point, he's not a great ball handler. But since he was our starting PG last season, and the only one Barnes trusted to get the ball up the floor, he's a better option than anyone else, except maybe Powell, which is to your point. If Vescovi is playing off the ball, his handle won't be as important. Still, I think Barnes will want him in there for more ball security than the other options at the two, until proven otherwise.

Reactions: cncchris33
Well, my post wasn’t directed at you (or anyone) specifically, and to the idea that “he’ll star and supercharge the offense”...that is why I said I’m fine with toning down the hype a bit. I don’t believe that he’ll do that right off the bat, and honestly can’t remember anyone suggesting that, though perhaps I missed it.

I hope you’re right on Vescovi. I just don’t believe he is suddenly going to discover his right hand, which really restricts him. The pandemic didn’t hamper his ability to train that skill. A lack of an off-season with the team didn’t hamper it, either. He’s just never learned to use it and it is a liability in his game. Hard to see that changing until he proves it. He’s also not going to suddenly become more athletic. Playing off the ball is, and always has been (IMO), his best position, but it most likely restricts him to primarily a spot-up shooter, which we have a need for.

I think teams figured him out during last offseason with a conference season full of film, and that if you force him right, he’s crippled. If you force him left, he’s stuck going left and isn’t really athletic enough to change directions and he’ll dribble until he runs out of real estate and likely leave his feet looking to pass. Can he fix that? I really hope he can. Being so one-hand dominant really hampers him and it’s compounded by his average athleticism. He can’t do much about the athleticism, but learning to use his off hand would open up so much more of his game.

To the poster who mentioned Barnes’s preferential deference to players with experience in his system, I don’t disagree with that idea, but once Powell gains that trust, then what separates the 3 players that will prevent Powell from seeing significant playing time? Another thing to consider is that I think it is arguable that Powell is a better PG option behind Chandler than either Bailey or Vescovi, too, especially against quicker teams that prefer to extend pressure into the backcourt.
Oh I didnt think you were directing it at me, I was just saying. And I was just paraphrasing with the supercharge the offense bit, I've not seen that exact phrase, im just saying there has been a disproportionate amount of hype for the production we've seen from Powell

I don't think its fair to say that the lack of an off-season didn't hamper his ability to learn to play with his right hand, I think its reasonable to expect him to progress there a little bit, though like you say, he'll probably most be a spot up shooter. But that's why I think he'll improve so much, he won't be asked to do so much he's not capable of, he can focus on what he's excellent at. I don't think our opinions of Scovi differ much, I am just not as high on Powell. I've not watched every collegiate minute of his, but I don't see him as being a great driver to the basket either. I think he's better than Vescovi certainly but I don't think he's great at it. I think him and Vescovi are honestly fairly similar players this year as far as impact on the team and even how theyre used. While I think that Powell is a little bit better at several things than him, I think Vescovi's experience with Barnes will even that out (as well as the fact that Powell is coming off a concussion apparently severe enough to take him out the whole season) and they'll have similar stats this year

What we saw of Vescovi and Bailey last year will not be what we see this year. They will both benefit by having a true PG and I think will both see improvements to their efficiency and production. Especially Vescovi. Bailey was streaky and if continues to be he will definitely be limited by it, but in this offense I think he will settle into a role were he can find more consistent play. I think Powell comes off the bench. Will have to see if he’s able to pick up where he left off.

I agree Vescovi needs to develop his right hand better and had some bad turnovers but overall I think he is a good ball handler. When the game was on the line coming down the stretch last year, Barnes wanted the ball in Vescovi's hands. His lack of speed means guys can pressure him closely but he can use his body to get were he needs to be.
On a similar note, I am excited that we have that super quick water bug type point guard that can get where he wants and folks have to lay off.

Reactions: VOLED and Lefteye
Oh I didnt think you were directing it at me, I was just saying. And I was just paraphrasing with the supercharge the offense bit, I've not seen that exact phrase, im just saying there has been a disproportionate amount of hype for the production we've seen from Powell

I don't think its fair to say that the lack of an off-season didn't hamper his ability to learn to play with his right hand, I think its reasonable to expect him to progress there a little bit, though like you say, he'll probably most be a spot up shooter. But that's why I think he'll improve so much, he won't be asked to do so much he's not capable of, he can focus on what he's excellent at. I don't think our opinions of Scovi differ much, I am just not as high on Powell. I've not watched every collegiate minute of his, but I don't see him as being a great driver to the basket either. I think he's better than Vescovi certainly but I don't think he's great at it. I think him and Vescovi are honestly fairly similar players this year as far as impact on the team and even how theyre used. While I think that Powell is a little bit better at several things than him, I think Vescovi's experience with Barnes will even that out (as well as the fact that Powell is coming off a concussion apparently severe enough to take him out the whole season) and they'll have similar stats this year
That’s probably fair. Maybe my opinion is best summed up in the idea that Vescovi has more overall experience and more experience in Barnes’s system, specifically, but I believe Powell has the higher upside.

Similarly to how people were impressed by Vescovi’s immediate impact upon his arrival at Tennessee, Powell coming in as a freshman and doing what he did as the starting PG at Auburn up to the point of his injury, also without an offseason is equally impressive, IMO.

I agree Vescovi needs to develop his right hand better and had some bad turnovers but overall I think he is a good ball handler. When the game was on the line coming down the stretch last year, Barnes wanted the ball in Vescovi's hands. His lack of speed means guys can pressure him closely but he can use his body to get were he needs to be.
On a similar note, I am excited that we have that super quick water bug type point guard that can get where he wants and folks have to lay off.
I think it’s likely this was the result of a lack of any better option more than it was a credit to SV’s ball-handling.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I think Powell/Vescovi/Bailey will all play pretty similar minutes, probably in that order from most to least but not a big separation imo

Last edited:
I think Powell/Vescovi/Powell will all play pretty similar minutes, probably in that order from most to least but not a big separation imo
I assume you meant Powell/Vescovi/Bailey, in that order? I would agree with order, as well as the idea that the minutes will be similar.

I think SV is a better ball handler than you all are giving him credit for. There's a big difference in being a good ball handler, and being able to break down a defensive player off the dribble. That has way more to do with body control and athletic quickness than it does ball handling. He lacks more so in the body control/athletic quickness than he does ball handling. Jaden was a better athlete and had the quickness with adequate ball handling, thus he was able to break some players down and get in the paint but I wouldn't say it was a better ball handler specifically than SV.

So I think we're all in agreement with his limitations, just my overly analytic brain won't let the simplified generalization that he lacks ball handling ability sneak by without commenting. (Yes, I'm that guy haha).

That’s probably fair. Maybe my opinion is best summed up in the idea that Vescovi has more overall experience and more experience in Barnes’s system, specifically, but I believe Powell has the higher upside.

Similarly to how people were impressed by Vescovi’s immediate impact upon his arrival at Tennessee, Powell coming in as a freshman and doing what he did as the starting PG at Auburn up to the point of his injury, also without an offseason is equally impressive, IMO.
Agreed. I think they'll both be role players this year behind Chandler, BHH, and Fulk, but if I had to say who I thought the most productive members of our team will be in 2022-23, I'd probably go Powell, JJJ, and Aidoo (I'm his second biggest fan on here behind the Dog), with Vescovi next

Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back