Transfer Portal Thread

Well...okay. Everything runs contrary to your theory, but okay. Again, he attempted four threes all year...4! Not sure how that equates to him wanting to be the Larry Bird of UNC as you've insinuated. And he was 2nd on the team in rebounding per 40 minutes. He also had the 2nd highest 2-pt FG% on the team (near 60%). Seems like he spent quite a bit of his time in the paint to grab that many rebounds and average such a high FG%.
Him not getting the green light to shoot is precisely why he is leaving...he wants more opportunity to show the nba that he can shoot the three.

Him not getting the green light to shoot is precisely why he is leaving...he wants more opportunity to show the nba that he can shoot the three.
If that is true, then I really dont see him coming here. Will he get more chances then he got at UNC sure, but he isnt shooting more than 1 or 2 a game here and most of those will be as a trailer.

I'm not saying be isnt worth getting. I'm just not sure that he is a game changer like everyone says. Its not like he dominated at UNC.
He looked really good by the end of the year, was very productive on a per minute basis. Was highly sought after out of high school. Plays at our biggest position of need. You're welcome to disagree of course but imo, if we added Kessler, our ceiling for next season goes way way up

If UT lands Kessler or Manek and I will be ecstatic. I still want one more pure shooter, tho
Edit: Also with the shooter need a big man first, imo

Reactions: Volfan1000
KY is not the obstacle in the conference. TN has struggled against LSU, AL, and Auburn the last four years. 4-12.

Recency bias. Kentucky had a trash year, but they are religiously one of the Top 2-3 teams in the conference. They literally won the conference in 2020 before the post-season was cancelled.

He looked really good by the end of the year, was very productive on a per minute basis. Was highly sought after out of high school. Plays at our biggest position of need. You're welcome to disagree of course but imo, if we added Kessler, our ceiling for next season goes way way up

This.

He (or someone with similar ability) is the missing piece for next year. Sure, we could use another 3 point shooter, and it wouldn't hurt if they could play some point, but I don't see our ceiling as being very high without taking care of the post issue. We did get some rebounding help with Justin Powell, but I think you need that big man underneath to round out the team.

Reactions: Vol49er
I personally would be just as happy with Gurley as anyone. May not be the best rebounder but he is so skilled offensively. Can step out and hit the three and excellent footwork in the post, can operate out of mid or low post and is a great roller. Hope we get him

Last edited:
Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I personally would be just as happy with Gurley as anyone. May not be the best rebounder but he is so skilled offensively. Can step out and hit the three and excellent footwork in the post, can operate out of mid or low post and is a great roller. Hope we get him
If we can land him I won’t be upset at all, ideally would like to still see a true 5 added to him, but if you can take Gurley now you do it.

Didn’t realize Indiana State fired their coach earlier this month, was unpopular among the players and they’ve pretty much lost their Top 5-6 players, Tyreke Key is the only one yet to announce his intentions. Hard to imagine he would want to return for his final season to what surely is going to be a rebuilding year full of new faces including all new coaches...he’s also never been to the NCAAT, maybe he’s ready to just get started with life after basketball but I have a hard time seeing him at Indiana State next year.

Recency bias. Kentucky had a trash year, but they are religiously one of the Top 2-3 teams in the conference. They literally won the conference in 2020 before the post-season was cancelled.

Clarify. I am talking head to head. Sorry for the confusion. TN has to be better against athletic teams with great guard play. 3 Teams I mentioned, Tennessee has failed recently.

Didn’t realize Indiana State fired their coach earlier this month, was unpopular among the players and they’ve pretty much lost their Top 5-6 players, Tyreke Key is the only one yet to announce his intentions. Hard to imagine he would want to return for his final season to what surely is going to be a rebuilding year full of new faces including all new coaches...he’s also never been to the NCAAT, maybe he’s ready to just get started with life after basketball but I have a hard time seeing him at Indiana State next year.

After landing Powell, making the assumption that we land BHH and a transfer big, do we still think Barnes would target Key? He doesn't seem like a "can't miss" player, IMO, and if you look at the roster of the anticipated rotation, where do his minutes come from?

Starting Lineup
Chandler
Powell
JJJ
BHH
Fulky

Rotation
Vescovi
Bailey
Maschack
Transfer Big Man
ORN

That's 10-players with 6 of them being guards. I would assume Key wants to get somewhere with big minutes. Doesn't seem like he'd get that here.

And Basilio just rips off this information on his show claiming it came from his basketball recruiting “man”, Y.

It is just unbelievable coincidence how often his breaking news coincides with recently minted information posted on VN.

VolNation = Y

Basilio is a hack. A broken clock is right twice a day. He’s just great at developing a cult following who will swear by him. He knows nothing.

Basilio is a hack. A broken clock is right twice a day. He’s just great at developing a cult following who will swear by him. He knows nothing.
He occasionally finds something that no one else does and hits on it. The difficulty is wading thru the other 85% to find it.

KY is always an obstacle, no matter what our record is against them. Their record was garbage this year and they still beat us once (almost twice).
Yeah, we have had good results against them but they are still the gold standard and just a year removed from being the best team. Not sure why anybody sees Kentucky as anything other than the team to beat until proven otherwise. One down year is not gonna change that.

Reactions: Maxwell865
And Basilio just rips off this information on his show claiming it came from his basketball recruiting “man”, Y.

It is just unbelievable coincidence how often his breaking news coincides with recently minted information posted on VN.

VolNation = Y
Yup, it’s why when there’s nothing reported on VN or VQ his next day blog doesn’t contain any new info.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

VN Store

Back