Transfer Portal Thread

If the kid in that video that's running the floor, blocking shots, getting rebounds and scoring at will showed up, then he wouldn't be transferring.
It's not like he lost his talent.... dude was hurt and never got back into basketball shape.

If the kid in that video that's running the floor, blocking shots, getting rebounds and scoring at will showed up, then he wouldn't be transferring.
You're looking at it with a sharply narrowed focus. Broaden your scope. Not all transfers can't play. DJ Burns can play, too, but he transferred. You think we took Justin Powell because he couldn't cut it at Auburn? You're smarter than that.

So all the kids that are in the portal can’t play?

I don't remember implying that, there's kids in the portal that can play and they've shown it.

Every kid that's transferred from UT in the Barnes era never amounted to anything in P6 ball. If he can't make it here, the numbers suggest he won't make it anywhere else either.

You're looking at it with a sharply narrowed focus. Broaden your scope. Not all transfers can't play. DJ Burns can play, too, but he transferred. You think we took Justin Powell because he couldn't cut it at Auburn? You're smarter than that.

Never said that.

As far as Burns, he isn't a P6 caliber player. Anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional.

Ya'll keep putting words into my mouth, but go off.

Never said that.

As far as Burns, he isn't a P6 caliber player. Anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional.

Ya'll keep putting words into my mouth, but go off.
It was certainly your implication. I mean, you even explicitly said that if he is transferring then it means he can't play...

"If he could play, he wouldn't be transferring."

Perhaps you meant specifically Walker, but you stated it in a very general manner as if it applied to all transfers. That isn't putting words in your mouth. It's drawing a completely logical conclusion based on your own words. And even after fact, you are still generalizing by lumping together all Tennessee transfers in the Barnes era. Just because the majority that have transferred out couldn't play doesn't mean that Walker can't.

And I'm not suggesting that Burns would be some alpha dog at the P6 level, but he could be a key role player who isn't relied on for 30 mpg, and I'd certainly take him over Anosike, Plavsic, and Pember in the post for Tennessee, right now, if given the chance.

Last edited:
I don't remember implying that, there's kids in the portal that can play and they've shown it.

Every kid that's transferred from UT in the Barnes era never amounted to anything in P6 ball. If he can't make it here, the numbers suggest he won't make it anywhere else either.
Tariq Owens had a nice run at St. John’s and Texas Tech and Derrick Walker played pretty well at Nebraska this past year.

It was certainly your implication. I mean, you even explicitly said that if he is transferring then it means he can't play. That isn't putting words in your mouth. It's drawing a completely logical conclusion based on your own words.

And I'm not suggesting that Burns would be some alpha dog at the P6 level, but he could be a key role player who isn't relied on for 30 mpg, and I'd certainly take him over Anosike, Plavsic, and Pember in the post for Tennessee, right now, if given the chance.
If Burns would get in shape he’d be a monster.

It’s very obvious in football but it happens in basketball too. As you move up in levels, talent can only take you so far. You may be a standout in lower competition if you’re talented and don’t have to work too hard at it. But as you move up, competition is more talented/works harder. Not saying that’s specifically the case here but it’s just a general observation. On this case though, it’s hard to second guess Barnes because none of us are really privy to all the details. However I think he’s one who doesn’t just pay lip service to the notion of “culture” like a lot of coaches do. With the help of guys like Admiral, Grant, Bone, etc. he has established a culture of hard work. It’s not right for the program or to teammates to no hold everyone to that standard.

It was certainly your implication. I mean, you even explicitly said that if he is transferring then it means he can't play...

"If he could play, he wouldn't be transferring."

Perhaps you meant specifically Walker, but you stated it in a very general manner as if it applied to all transfers. That isn't putting words in your mouth. It's drawing a completely logical conclusion based on your own words. And even after fact, you are still generalizing by lumping together all Tennessee transfers in the Barnes era. Just because the majority that have transferred out couldn't play doesn't mean that Walker can't.

Damn, that's crazy

beefvol44: Any bball news on transfers, class of 21 or 22 guys?

Ramey: Not a ton of news right now. East Carolina PF Jayden Gardner had some mutual interest with Tennessee, but dropped a top five today that did not include the Vols. Liam Robbins, a 7-footer from Minnesota, entered the portal today. Might be a name to watch. He played for new assistant coach Rod Clark when the two were at Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas.
Still waiting on a decision from 2021 SG Quentin Diboundje, the 6-6 shooting guard at Montverde Academy.

Vols still in the thick of it with Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, the five-star 2022 power forward who could be reclassifying. Same with BJ Edwards, the 2022 four-star PG, and 2022 three-star C Handje Tamba. Huntley-Hatfield, Edwards and Tamba are all B.Maze Elite AAU players. Desmond Oliver was the main contact for Tennessee recruiting B.Maze players, so the Vols will have to get a new primary recruiter there with Des gone to ETSU. But I don't imagine that would be a huge issue.
A big part of the equation in the post is what John Fulkerson decides to do. If he comes back, Tennessee won't have as much work to do in the portal.

Reactions: BigOrangeGoose
Telling you, something is up. Like why the hell wouldn’t Barnes use Walker this year. There is no way he wouldn’t have contributed.

Similar concept as addition by subtraction. It probably does more overall harm to give a pass to a player that can’t seem to get on board with what is expected of him. Perhaps it isn’t a good look to take minutes away from players that are on board and give them to a player that has problems.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Telling you, something is up. Like why the hell wouldn’t Barnes use Walker this year. There is no way he wouldn’t have contributed.
He was out of shape due to injuries + COVID, then when he was supposed to come back around January, he couldn't get back in shape. Barnes seems pretty strict about being in game shape, shown by that Admiral interview a while back.

VN Store

Back