Transfer Portal Signings

stillavol

I keep reading that schools are limited to 7 transfer portal signings. Though I see that many schools have signed more than this. Do graduate transfers not count against the 7 limit? Or is there a limit? I think I read you can't sign more than you lose. So if you lose 5 you can only sign 5 etc. Can someone bring some clarity to this?

I keep reading that schools are limited to 7 transfer portal signings. Though I see that many schools have signed more than this. Do graduate transfers not count against the 7 limit? Or is there a limit? I think I read you can't sign more than you lose. So if you lose 5 you can only sign 5 etc. Can someone bring some clarity to this?

Each school can sign 25 Scholl's players per year. Plus additional players to replace transfer losses, up to a max of 7. So if we have 3 players transfer then we can add 3 players to replace them.....it's a 1 for 1 replacement. There are additional rules that apply but that's the basic gist of it

The original idea behind limiting the number of players you can sign was to prevent players from being ran off. Given players can now leave anytime they please, the rule should go away.

I know this wasn’t your question OP, but it looks like your question has already been answered

Reactions: snake and stillavol
Each school can sign 25 Scholl's players per year. Plus additional players to replace transfer losses, up to a max of 7. So if we have 3 players transfer then we can add 3 players to replace them.....it's a 1 for 1 replacement. There are additional rules that apply but that's the basic gist of it
That's what I thought but it shows LSU signing 11 players in the transfer portal. Just wondering how that is possible.

That's what I thought but it shows LSU signing 11 players in the transfer portal. Just wondering how that is possible.

Well I could be wrong in my understanding but I think you can include a transfer in your initial 25 so if you look LSU has signed 13 high school kids and they have 12 transfers so that's 25....I would guess that would mean they are eligible to sign 7 more high schoolers if they wanted So there class would look like

Intial 25
20 - High Schoolers
5 - Transfers
7 - Loss of a player Transfers
32 Max Players

I believe you can actually sign 25 from the transfer portal ... if you were ...
...willing to choose not to sign anyone out of Juco or HS....
... AND the team had space under the 85 cap.

However, finding 25 players in the portal that are of higher quality than incoming freshman and JUCO players is going to be a "recipe for disaster" for the team's roster!!!! (IMHO)

This number (25) does NOT count the number of players a team can replace from the portal ... based on the number of their 'qualifying' players who have entered the transfer portal.

Here is the quote I am referencing:
'As part of NCAA rules, teams can add one player to their incoming recruiting class for every departure to the transfer portal, up to a maximum of 32 players via incoming freshmen and transfers so long as it doesn't push them over the maximum scholarship allotment of 85."

However, finding 25 players in the portal that are of higher quality than incoming freshman and JUCO players is going to be a "recipe for disaster" for the team's roster!!!! (IMHO)

This number (25) does NOT count the number of players a team can replace from the portal ... based on the number of their 'qualifying' players who have entered the transfer portal.

'As part of NCAA rules, teams can add one player to their incoming recruiting class for every departure to the transfer portal, up to a maximum of 32 players via incoming freshmen and transfers so long as it doesn't push them over the maximum scholarship allotment of 85."
Doesn’t appear we have anything to be concerned with with numbers since no worthwhile transfer seem to want to commit long term.

Doesn’t appear we have anything to be concerned with with numbers since no worthwhile transfer seem to want to commit long term.
I am not a big fan of the portal (free agency at the collegiate level).
Our problem with the portal is ... 1) we may have self imposed scholarship limitations ... 2) we are not as desirable a destination as some other schools (AL, GA, OK, USC, TX, etc.) ... 3) the positions of need ... we are looking for a little on the thin side. (items were listed in no particular order)

That makes a lot of sense.

Can't be right, Oklahoma took that many just from us last season!

you can sign transfers as part of your 25 initial counter class and then add up to 7 transfers for each player that transfers out in good academic standing.

SO, you can sign 20 High school and/or Junior college kids, sign 5 transfers and then get up to 7 more transfers depending on how many transfer out.

Reactions: stillavol
you can sign transfers as part of your 25 initial counter class and then add up to 7 transfers for each player that transfers out in good academic standing.

SO, you can sign 20 High school and/or Junior college kids, sign 5 transfers and then get up to 7 more transfers depending on how many transfer out.

So you get hosed on a flunky transfer with bad grades!

Thanks for the info.

I have theory that we won’t see as many transfers in a few years . For most of these people they didn’t get NIL deals when they joined that school so this is a chance for them to get paid .

VN Store

Back