Transfer Portal - SEC

Come on man don’t give me that “anyone that played” bs

It’s really simple regarding players at the D1 level. There are 4 types

1) scholarship players that can’t be cut from the 35 man roster in a year they receive money

2) a walk on player that is guaranteed a spot on the 35 man roster. My guess is none of the Vols are offered this and if there are it’s only 1 or 2. This is considered a preferred walk on spot

3) a walk on player that is offered a spot on the fall roster, offered a spot to work out with the team and attend all team functions. My guess is every single one of the commitments listed we see on PG are in this group or the scholarship group. They know they are fighting for 7 walk on spots

4) and then the player that sees a flyer on the student union wall and bets his frat boys he can make the team and attends the school wide tryout without participating in any of the team activities beforehand. In fact most tryouts aren’t even with the regular team. I’d venture a guess that the Vols haven’t kept such a player on their 35 man roster in a long time.

So let’s make this clear. If a player is in either of the first 3 types of players they damn sure count and they damn sure have a positive impact on college baseball. Every single successful program needs players from 2) and 3) to become stars and believe it or not there are some players in the big leagues right now that were in group 3 and we have some foolish ass posters suggesting those kids shouldn’t count. That’s ridiculous

I don't think we are as far off from the same as you would think except I believe there is a difference in #2. I think the difference to me is that #3 should not be in the list of commitments to UT. They are walk-ons with no commitment from the staff. That is why I do not include them in the numbers because they are not guaranteed anything from the staff other than a chance to make a team. I think the number of #2 is a lot higher because I think if UT is similar to other schools then there a lot of in-state guys who do not get scholarship money because they get lottery money and other scholarships.
I think the only difference between us is I'm one of your foolish XXX posters saying they should not be in the numbers. They know coming in that they have a longshot to make the team. No one is lying to them. They are told up front that you will have to beat out someone in 1 or 2 to make the team. They are a number but should not be in the commitment numbers because they are not being offered anything from UT staff or any other school. That would be like saying in the real world that someone who gets an interview is an employee. They are only being given a chance to earn a spot as an employee when they are interviewed but that is it. No benefits, no pay, no parking spot, no uniform, Nothing. It is no difference with a walk-on. They are given a fall-long interview to earn a spot as a roster player. They know that and the coaching staff knows that. There are no lies in that and no guarantees. Yes there are a lot of guys who have made it big in MLB who came from that area just like football walk-ons or basketball walk-ons. I'm not saying they are not good but they just have to prove it. Sometimes it is that guys mature later. No knock on them, just life. Some of those who do not make it as a walk-on could be a starter at most mid level D1's but they chose to all or nothing at UT. Their choice. I don't think that is a bad thing but I just don't think they are a committed player if the college did not offer them something in return other than a chance to interview for a spot. Just my opinion right or wrong. And I don't think the staff can be bashed for bringing in these guys to give them a chance. I really don't care if there are 50 of these guys as long as it does not take time in practice and fall games from those who they know will help win games. I really don't think we are that far off in mindset except you hold to that number and I realize that number is just a number and not real.

Just plain sickening that a parent of a tenn recruit doesn’t include a walk on player that was recruited to come be apart of the team, participates with the team in all team activities and even gets a uniform to shed his blood sweat and tears in as a real player.

If your son has that same attitude towards his teammates then he will be one hell of a bad teammate

As usual you are putting words in my mouth. Nobody is given a uniform, they earn it. I don’t care how they started if they earn a uniform. I just don’t think those numbers should count because they know some of them are not getting a uniform so guys like you can trash hard working coaches who do a great job recruiting. I respect those guys very much who work hard to earn it but I don’t think you should hold that number over a coaching staff who is willing to give guys a chance to earn a spot. Actually you are the one trashing these players because you are saying they don’t even deserve the chance. You are saying the only guys that the coaching Staff should be recruiting is the ones they can give scholarships to. I think if guys are willing to take a chance, you give them every opportunity. I just do not think the coaching staff should be penalized when they give guys an opportunity to make the team like you do. I’ve never said don’t let them try like you have. I can promise you I will cheer for every guy with the University of Tennessee uniform on including the coaching staff which I assume you won’t do. I know how hard this coaching staff works because I have seen it firsthand in recruiting my son, other players in the last two recruiting classes, and some of the preferred walk on‘s And guys that are going to walk on. So yes, I take it a little personal when you trash the coaching staff that has been so good to my son and his teammates.

some very interesting takes and I've enjoyed reading them all...well, you know the old saying...your truth, my truth, and the real truth...but, as always...

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: StarRaider
Bruin, it has been explained to you many times, but let’s try one more time. When CTV arrived, there was not consistent SEC talent on the roster. Were there some SEC caliber players, yes. But not enough to win. Those around the program know CDS faults and how he let the program hit rock bottom. In order to flip the roster, there has to be casualties. Those who know have also made it clear that there will NOT be nearly as many transfers and cuts going forward once roster depth has been established.

I can also tell you factually that players have been told in advance what the situation is. Let me give you a hypothetical situation. Player A has been promised a full scholarship by the previous coach. It is clear that player A will not contribute this season. If the coaches want to keep their jobs, do they keep player A on the roster, or tell him the situation and help him find a place elsewhere to play and use that money to bring in 2-3 players that will contribute? As has been said multiple times here before, these players coming in know the situation and many come just to get a chance to wear the Big Orange.

As far as your beloved Vandy is concerned, talk to the guys who play there. You will be surprised how much several of those guys dislike the coach and playing there. Compare that to how the majority of the players feel about CTV. They love him and playing for UT. This staff has already over achieved and are continuing to get better. I strongly expect the Vols to be in Omaha in 2-3 years.

So Bruin, since you love Vandy so much, feel free to go hang out on their board. And take Rumor “girl” / Banjo Hitter / whatever other name he’s going by this week with you. It’s abundantly clear you guys have an agenda and just want to stir up drama. The players read this board and don’t want/need the negativity. There’s a lot of great things going on around the program so relax and enjoy it or please do us all a favor and go elsewhere.

Is Bruin the whistler from Vandy????

Reactions: RollerVol
As usual you are putting words in my mouth. Nobody is given a uniform, they earn it. I don’t care how they started if they earn a uniform. I just don’t think those numbers should count because they know some of them are not getting a uniform so guys like you can trash hard working coaches who do a great job recruiting. I respect those guys very much who work hard to earn it but I don’t think you should hold that number over a coaching staff who is willing to give guys a chance to earn a spot. Actually you are the one trashing these players because you are saying they don’t even deserve the chance. You are saying the only guys that the coaching Staff should be recruiting is the ones they can give scholarships to. I think if guys are willing to take a chance, you give them every opportunity. I just do not think the coaching staff should be penalized when they give guys an opportunity to make the team like you do. I’ve never said don’t let them try like you have. I can promise you I will cheer for every guy with the University of Tennessee uniform on including the coaching staff which I assume you won’t do. I know how hard this coaching staff works because I have seen it firsthand in recruiting my son, other players in the last two recruiting classes, and some of the preferred walk on‘s And guys that are going to walk on. So yes, I take it a little personal when you trash the coaching staff that has been so good to my son and his teammates.
I am with you Preacherman!! I have been even back in my day on the walk on route as well as the coaching aspect of the exact scenario. Walk on kids should be able to have a chance if they so desire and coaches must have the ability to say yay or nay on who goes and who stays. I was never given a promise or did I ever promise any walk on anything but the chance. I think this dead horse has been beat way more than it should! JMHO as always! SS!

I am with you Preacherman!! I have been even back in my day on the walk on route as well as the coaching aspect of the exact scenario. Walk on kids should be able to have a chance if they so desire and coaches must have the ability to say yay or nay on who goes and who stays. I was never given a promise or did I ever promise any walk on anything but the chance. I think this dead horse has been beat way more than it should! JMHO as always! SS!

AMEN...but it was food for thought...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: sccshortstop
Sorry guys. Is it possible even Vandy loses kids that walk on and thought they may get future money?

Attachments

• 9B17EE31-01F6-4DC6-B1D9-63625FF65610.png
    9B17EE31-01F6-4DC6-B1D9-63625FF65610.png
    216.5 KB · Views: 22
  • D921E3DF-108E-4EB4-A15C-9712472E9052.png
    D921E3DF-108E-4EB4-A15C-9712472E9052.png
    292.6 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: RollerVol
Do you know his story? That’s an odd move, but UH is a good program.

I don’t but many if not most of the Vandy players stay in the program even when the playing time isn’t what they want. I’d assume he is one of the minority that wants to play more than stick around.

Reactions: RollerVol and TX2TN

VN Store

Back