Vanderbilt — 6
Florida — 6
Auburn — 5
Ole Miss — 4
Texas A&M — 4
LSU — 3
Georgia — 2

TOTAL: 100

• South Carolina’s Ian Jenkins and Florida’s Justin Alintoff withdrew from the transfer portal this summer. Jenkins hit .188 as a freshman last season for the Gamecocks, while Alintoff hit tallied a 4.30 ERA in 16 appearances last season.

• Five of Alabama’s 11 transfers out of the program are graduate transfers, something certainly worth noting. It’s also worth noting that ‘Bama is still in the midst of a rebuilding campaign under head coach Brad Bohannon.

• The most interesting Kentucky departure is highly touted young outfielder Rook Ellington. Ellington didn’t have a great freshman campaign, but he certainly arrived with high expectations. Jacob Thompson is the most recent departure. Again, like some other programs on this list, UK has had some turnover in Nick Mingione’s two seasons with the program.

• One of Vanderbilt’s departures, talented righthander Austin Becker, transferred to Texas Tech and will be immediately eligible in 2020. Becker will be immediately eligible and will help bolster an already tooled up Texas Tech pitching staff.

• Speaking of Vandy, here is where its departed players are headed: Makenzie Stills (Kennesaw State), John Malcom (unknown), Kiambu Fentress (graduate transfer), Cam McMillan (unknown) and righthander Justin Willis is headed to Connecticut and will be immediately eligible to play. Willis was a highly touted prep prospect before redshirting for the Commodores this past season.

Tennessee, Alabama and Pitt make sense to have huge turnover when you were a bottom feeder before making coaching changes. Gotta change something, right? - Kendall Rogers

Comparing other Conferences with Players in the Portal

SEC - 100 players
ACC - 74
BIG 12 - 55
BIG 10 - 39
PAC 12 - 38

• It’s worth noting the tallies below include graduate transfers, which can skew a program’s transfer total.
• The portal includes 1,088 names at the Division I level with 299 hailing from one of the five power conferences.

Reactions: RollerVol
Have an administrative login is the only real way to see it or find where someone copied it anonymously. I understand you lose your privileges if you post it anywhere.

Plummer, Shoptaw, Silseth, Komistek, Akey, Barker, cooper, Pennington, Reece, Luna, Pearson, Ellis, Dreves , Harper-cook, and Trammell. Those are the 15 guys that were here in 2018-2019 that we know have already left. I may have missed a few. I guess not all of them went into the portal.

Fair or foul for CTV to recruit kids as walk ons in year 1 with a promise of $ in year 2 but fail
To delivery on year 2 $ when the player doesn’t progress as expected?

Fair or foul for CTV to recruit kids as walk ons in year 1 with a promise of $ in year 2 but fail

I would say foul if not for the 11.7 limit. That's hamstringing him on one leg and then he better win sooner rather than later in a packed SEC on the other. It's just a numbers game. He can recruit to a number and recruit to the roster limit and not miss on any draft picks or over sign and deal with it on a year to year basis. 11.7/35 is 33% of a scholarship. These kids are either getting more $$$ for academics (which they should) or they are paying for most of it out of pocket any way.

My kid would absolutely walk on just to wear the orange. Most college baseball guys aren't getting much money for baseball. Thank Title IX for that.

Fair. I see know difference in doing that then cutting a player. It’s the same exact thing. Kinda along the line of what @ksgovols said this 11.7 is a problem. It’s a salary cap with the budget of the Kansas City Royals or Marlins. Having kids on scholarship who don’t contribute will have your program in the cellar of this league.

I think fair but if that is entirely a promise that makes the kid come it is still not right, but my kid would give anything to wear the orange and they did!

Reactions: Volsbaseballfan1
Doesn’t happen at every single program

I guess I am just too old fashioned because I believe a promise is a promise and not fulfilling one makes one a liar
What’s the difference between that and cutting a player? Not sure there is a program out there that doesn’t cut a player. Those are all “scholarship promises as well”

Reactions: Thanos
What’s the difference between that and cutting a player? Not sure there is a program out there that doesn’t cut a player. Those are all “scholarship promises as well”

I’m not a huge fan of cutting players either but know it has to happen but getting a kid to come to school because he is promised $ and not giving it to him is worse after the family budgets and financially plans for a second year with scholarship dollars. At least the kid that has his money taken away and cut didn’t blow full tuition and fees and knows his scholarship is year to year.

In other words one player knows it’s a year to year basis and another is told he’s getting $ for the first time in year two and doesn’t. One is clearly being lied to.

Reactions: CunningLinguist
I’m not a huge fan of cutting players either but know it has to happen but getting a kid to come to school because he is promised $ and not giving it to him is worse after the family budgets and financially plans for a second year with scholarship dollars. At least the kid that has his money taken away and cut didn’t blow full tuition and fees and knows his scholarship is year to year.

In other words one player knows it’s a year to year basis and another is told he’s getting $ for the first time in year two and doesn’t. One is clearly being lied to.
Just because someone believes or states a promise was made does not mean it ever happened.

Reactions: Volsbaseballfan1
Doesn’t happen at every single program

I guess I am just too old fashioned because I believe a promise is a promise and not fulfilling one makes one a liar
To clarify I said successful program. It happens often and the kids know going in it’s a risk to take a shot at D1 and more common a power 5 school. Worth the risk if it works and you can transfer if it doesn’t.

To clarify I said successful program. It happens often and the kids know going in it’s a risk to take a shot at D1 and more common a power 5 school. Worth the risk if it works and you can transfer if it doesn’t.

Here is what this thread has brought to light for me and I really don’t strongly disagree with folks here but it’s still a shame. This thread is basically saying that since the ncaa is wrong about scholarships coaches can be dishonest and that’s ok.

I’d argue Vandy never does this BUT their scholarship situation doesn’t require it. The responses here say 11.7, that’s the way college baseball works, and you just have to do it and I do agree with that but does that make it right? Imo no it doesn’t and it’s always wrong to lie to recruits about $. It’s never right to make promises about finances and not keep them especially once a kid foots his own bill at your school.

Here is what this thread has brought to light for me and I really don’t strongly disagree with folks here but it’s still a shame. This thread is basically saying that since the ncaa is wrong about scholarships coaches can be dishonest and that’s ok.

I’d argue Vandy never does this BUT their scholarship situation doesn’t require it. The responses here say 11.7, that’s the way college baseball works, and you just have to do it and I do agree with that but does that make it right? Imo no it doesn’t and it’s always wrong to lie to recruits about $. It’s never right to make promises about finances and not keep them especially once a kid foots his own bill at your school.
Bruin this goes on in every sport. Here’s the problem it’s a business. The fans want a winner, the administration wants a winner and coaches want to stay employed. Contract extensions and happy fans selling out stadiums don’t come with losing. If the team is a loser but the coach never cuts anyone he doesn’t get extensions and have happy fans. Oh well the program sucks but hey he graduates all his players and never cuts anyone so we are going to give him a extension and we are still going to go to every game and spend money. It unfortunately doesn’t work that way. This goes on in every single sport. Kids are transferring out of power 5s to lower level schools in every sport. You know why? Because the coach had a conversation with him and basically told the player you aren’t welcomed anymore. That is part of the reason why the portal is so abnormally High. Players are run off.

Reactions: Thanos
Bruin this goes on in every sport. Here’s the problem it’s a business. The fans want a winner, the administration wants a winner and coaches want to stay employed. Contract extensions and happy fans selling out stadiums don’t come with losing. If the team is a loser but the coach never cuts anyone he doesn’t get extensions and have happy fans. Oh well the program sucks but hey he graduates all his players and never cuts anyone so we are going to give him a extension and we are still going to go to every game and spend money. It unfortunately doesn’t work that way. This goes on in every single sport. Kids are transferring out of power 5s to lower level schools in every sport. You know why? Because the coach had a conversation with him and basically told the player you aren’t welcomed anymore. That is part of the reason why the portal is so abnormally High. Players are run off.

Yep it happens everywhere to a degree but like I have said a number of times here it’s the degree that it’s happening and will continue to happen under this staff that is keeping me from enjoying the mild success we have had so far.

Wreckless disregard for numbers and the people that players are is no excuse in the name of “it’s just business” when it’s part of the plan.

There is a distinct difference between the nature of the beast where occasionally players get shown the door and when the plan all along is recruit as many players as possible knowing full well the casualty numbers are going to be high.

VN Store

Back