Transfer portal question

ETNCvol

ETNCvol
I’m a little ignorant about specifics on the transfer portal. If someone puts their name in the TP, does that mean they are technically no longer on their team? ie, if they later change their mind, do they automatically still get back on the team or does the coach make that decision (depending on why the player wanted to leave in the first place, an attitude adjustment is needed,etc.)

Seems to me , TP is potentially harmful to the player, and onlyr upside to the team. If potentially nobody is interested in the player in the TP, then there’s the risk of the loss of a free college education.

I’d be curious to know overall the risk for all those nationwide who enter TP, how many end up with nothing.

I’m a little ignorant about specifics on the transfer portal. If someone puts their name in the TP, does that mean they are technically no longer on their team? ie, if they later change their mind, do they automatically still get back on the team or does the coach make that decision (depending on why the player wanted to leave in the first place, an attitude adjustment is needed,etc.)

Seems to me , TP is potentially harmful to the player, and onlyr upside to the team. If potentially nobody is interested in the player in the TP, then there’s the risk of the loss of a free college education.

I’d be curious to know overall the risk for all those nationwide who enter TP, how many end up with nothing.

I track this. I would guess that over 90 percent of the players in the portal in 2023 played with another team.

Reasons for not signing somewhere were:

players trying to keep playing after injuries. Injuries where they were medically disqualified and no one wanted risk.

Graduated players trying for one last season before going into workplace but not good enough to stay on roster they were leaving or for pro future.

Players that had been dismissed from teams trying to hook up with another team.

Lower level players on fcs teams not good enough to play anywhere.

Walkons from lot of teams.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel

When a player enters the portal, the school they currently attend is under no obligation to continue their scholarship. I'm sure an NIL contract would be written so that it is negated as well.

I track this. I would guess that over 90 percent of the players in the portal in 2023 played with another team.

Reasons for not signing somewhere were:

players trying to keep playing after injuries. Injuries where they were medically disqualified and no one wanted risk.

Graduated players trying for one last season before going into workplace but not good enough to stay on roster they were leaving or for pro future.

Players that had been dismissed from teams trying to hook up with another team.

Lower level players on fcs teams not good enough to play anywhere.

Walkons from lot of teams.

By played with another team, does that imply they landed a scholarship elsewhere or just landed somewhere? And how often is that school a more prestigious school? There is a difference.

Most are reacting to limited playing time, the realization that someone on the roster is going to beat them out of the position in the coming year or realization the school just wasn't a good fit.

I suspect also the recent success of some players, like Hooker, Hurts, etc. who transferred fuels this. But that seems to be the exception not the norm.

By played with another team, does that imply they landed a scholarship elsewhere or just landed somewhere? And how often is that school a more prestigious school? There is a difference.

Most are reacting to limited playing time, the realization that someone on the roster is going to beat them out of the position in the coming year or realization the school just wasn't a good fit.

I suspect also the recent success of some players, like Hooker, Hurts, etc. who transferred fuels this. But that seems to be the exception not the norm.

Oh I think most are on scholarship and definitely most did not end up at a better or equal school. I would suggest that players hitting the portal are not happy where the are for a thousand different reasons. They may very well bring the unhappiness with them.

A lot of players portal this year are doing so for second and some a third time. They find out the new place no better than what they left.

Reactions: volfan102455
Entering the portal is like declaring free agency -- if you want to maximize NIL money declare free agency every year and see what you can get

I don’t know, but to me NIL only fuels the fire to enter TP. I think they ( the NCAA and colleges together) should rethink all this. Put a cap of say 50k/yr and just pay a salary to the players. Then less incentive to enter TP and possibly loss of scholarship and potential free college education.

In my opinion there’s too much emphasis on pre-college hype/ratings and players coming in thinking they should start right right away. Rarely would a player coming into college start as a freshman.

They feel entitled without the work and training needed to reach that level of skill.

NIL has become a monster that will destroy the spirit of college football. Sure the players deserve some financial benefits, put a cap on the amount per year per player, otherwise it will only be the bigger more $$$ programs that will always dominate and lots of kids entering TP and potential loss of future scholarships

I don’t know, but to me NIL only fuels the fire to enter TP. I think they ( the NCAA and colleges together) should rethink all this. Put a cap of say 50k/yr and just pay a salary to the players. Then less incentive to enter TP and possibly loss of scholarship and potential free college education.

In my opinion there’s too much emphasis on pre-college hype/ratings and players coming in thinking they should start right right away. Rarely would a player coming into college start as a freshman.

They feel entitled without the work and training needed to reach that level of skill.

NIL has become a monster that will destroy the spirit of college football. Sure the players deserve some financial benefits, put a cap on the amount per year per player, otherwise it will only be the bigger more $$$ programs that will always dominate and lots of kids entering TP and potential loss of future scholarships
So a SALARY CAP? Bet the NCAA is looking forward to collective bargaining, and with the BILLIONS in rights fees, $50 k per ain’t gonna hunt.

So a SALARY CAP? Bet the NCAA is looking forward to collective bargaining, and with the BILLIONS in rights fees, $50 k per ain’t gonna hunt.
Not sure what you mean, but NCAA should not be the regulating body when so much money is involved. Perhaps US Congress should have some say. 50 K per year is a lot of money for somebody in college. I’m just saying all of them that come in, come in with stars in their eyes. So many of them come from broken homes and poverty so it’s hard for them to see the big picture of a free college education that hopefully can enlighten them and make them better citizens. They can still pursue their dreams of making it to the NFL, but the reality is so few do. For those that do, they usually only last one to two years. If you have a good education, at least you have something beyond to be a productive provider for your family, as well as a productive citizen.

Not sure what you mean, but NCAA should not be the regulating body when so much money is involved. Perhaps US Congress should have some say. 50 K per year is a lot of money for somebody in college. I’m just saying all of them that come in, come in with stars in their eyes. So many of them come from broken homes and poverty so it’s hard for them to see the big picture of a free college education that hopefully can enlighten them and make them better citizens. They can still pursue their dreams of making it to the NFL, but the reality is so few do. For those that do, they usually only last one to two years. If you have a good education, at least you have something beyond to be a productive provider for your family, as well as a productive citizen.
As has been explained here a lot, if the players become employees of the university, they'll immediately unionize and collective bargaining will occur like the NFL and NBA for minimum salaries, benefits, etc. 50k will not be the salary when SEC schools are making about 55 million each from TV money.

As for Congress, have you known them to get involved in anything and actually help?

Reactions: butchna
As has been explained here a lot, if the players become employees of the university, they'll immediately unionize and collective bargaining will occur like the NFL and NBA for minimum salaries, benefits, etc. 50k will not be the salary when SEC schools are making about 55 million each from TV money.

As for Congress, have you known them to get involved in anything and actually help?
Points well taken

Biggest point is TP & NIL together is probably a bad combination for all

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Points well taken

Biggest point is TP & NIL together is probably a bad combination for all
No doubt about it. It's not a good situation but the courts are in it now and the NCAA is useless.

I'm hopeful it drags along without major court losses for the NCAA as long as possible.

The "players are employees" or "players can unionize" decisions will hurt many schools, athletes, and sports at the college level. I hope small schools can "spin off" from the NCAA, big money, big media rights, etc and survive.

The big winners, as usual, will be attorneys.

Well, federal law does not allow for limiting NIL. NCAA does not want employees. Seems we have reached an impasse.

VN Store

Back