Louisiana Tech 10 9
MTSU 17 7
North Texas 21 9
Rice 15 7
Texas-San Antonio 7 9
UAB 11 2
UTEP 9 1
Western Kenticky 13 9

The service academies are at a severe disadvantage in the portal game. Completely unable to accept transfers in (cadets/midshipmen have to start at the start, can't come to the academy as a sophomore, junior or senior).

So all the academies can do with the portal is lose freshmen and sophomores (juniors and seniors are locked into service commitments).

The service academies are at a severe disadvantage in the portal game. Completely unable to accept transfers in (cadets/midshipmen have to start at the start, can't come to the academy as a sophomore, junior or senior).

So all the academies can do with the portal is lose freshmen and sophomores (juniors and seniors are locked into service commitments).
Those athletes at the service academies should be getting the bulk of the NIL money!

At least we're in line w/ others and not leaking talent more than others. My personal opinion is teams like LSU and Auburn in for tough run this year....LSU had alot of churning and unless a QB takes over, we could cause them all sorts of problems.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
At least we're in line w/ others and not leaking talent more than others. My personal opinion is teams like LSU and Auburn in for tough run this year....LSU had alot of churning and unless a QB takes over, we could cause them all sorts of problems.
Or UGA that had only losses and no churn so far.

I did not run the numbers, but my quick look says there are a lot more Outs than Ins. If that is the case, it seems that a fair number of kids left football. Am I understanding that correctly?

yes.

many 5th or 6th year seniors try portal for a last shot at playing.
almost every school has one or more walk-ons in the portal is my guess. many end up no where.
some players get medically disqualified at a school and go into the portal trying to land somewhere. example Gooch at Missouri

big numbers not signing somewhere is not going to make more kids stay put. IMO, numbers likely to continue to increase on number hitting the portal

they have so much talent they can be very selective at taking transfers. Transfers in general are not good investments unless you have a team that lacks a lot of talent. The very elite teams, minimize taking transfers.

Reactions: Bret178
A lot more out than in. May give kids pause to enter the portal unless they already have a deal lined up under the table. The under the table recruiting will be the next issue as teams will be poaching other rosters and kids will be making covert inquiries to other teams before testing the waters. This is probably already happening to some extent.

Here's a look at the difference between Portal Outs - Portal Ins for both P5 teams and for G5 & Independents.
Notre Dame was included with the P5 teams.

For P5 teams:

1654696227376.png

And for G5 and Independents:
1654696366782.png

Seems like the transfer portal is going to become less popular
Yeah the fear isn't quite bearing up to the realities.

What it seems to be doing though is allowing programs to cull non-performing players regardless of how they fill the scholarship afterwards. The measure of a program's portal use will be in how many guys they get off their roster and replace with guys who make contributions. So some might panic at UT losing 21 and gaining 7... but how many of those 21 were expected to start or make a contribution greater than whoever replaced them? Only 2 so far have been picked up by P5 programs (Coby/Evan). The rest either have not found a new home or have moved down in competition.

Charts like this help visualize what happened... but I'm not sure you can derive much else from it.

Reactions: nesbuddha66
Those athletes at the service academies should be getting the bulk of the NIL money!
Why? So they can give it to the enlisted who really do the work?

A degree from a service academy plus the experience of playing college football should be plenty for them.

Reactions: kcvols1

A degree from a service academy plus the experience of playing college football should be plenty for them.
Have you ever been in the military or been an officer in the military?

Reactions: LittleVol

And a degree from anywhere and the experience of playing college athletics should the be the case as well

As a West Point grad, I'm with you, brother.

Our nation's enlisted troops (army, navy, air force, marines, coast guard), they all seriously rock. Both the younger lads and lasses, and the NCOs who lead them.

Every officer I know worth his or her salt realizes what a privilege it is to command them.

So you're not wrong.

Having said that, one of my roommates and good friends as a cadet was an Army football player. We all thought our schedules were demanding, getting up before dawn to prepare our rooms for inspection, then breakfast formation, classes all day, mandatory lunch, mandatory dinner, mandatory "fun" (extracurricular activities) between 3:30 and dinner, then study hours from 7 to 11, mandatory lights out, and start it all again early the next morning. Including classes on Saturdays.

But we had nothing on the football players. Hardest-working cadets and midshipmen of all. Somehow they added to that schedule an hour or two of lifting each morning, and three hours of team practices each afternoon. My buddy would sneak studying in after taps each night just because he had no other place to fit it in.

So give the fellas wearing the academy colors on Saturdays a little nod of appreciation, will ya?

Go Vols!

Last edited:
There is a lot on the table to study about the likes of Georgia and Alabama. They always recruit extremely well and not only do they recruit that well they get the absolute most out of what they do recruit. One thing else that also helps them out is the fact that both coaches have had the time and the classes to stock pile talent so that helps out a lot. There is just so many different advantage that they have because of they development that they have had over the years. One day very soon I truly believe that for us on the offense side of the ball we will become like that.

VN Store

Back