Transfer Portal 22-23

Wells has a year and a covid year left, right? Jada Walker also 2 left?

I'm so glad we have Cora and love how honest and knowledgable she is. But figuring out we need more speed and shooting on the perimeter did not exactly take investigative journalism.

I'm so glad we have Cora and love how honest and knowledgable she is. But figuring out we need more speed and shooting on the perimeter did not exactly take investigative journalism.
Yes she was a junior this season two more to play.

Jada Walker was a sophomore this year I can't remember when that covid year was given don't know if she qualifies.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Star transfer Destinee Wells visiting Tennessee today

200w.gif

Based on what?
Bigger guards killed walker and Powell this year, of mocking them by saying they are too small and that was the case. I’ve watched the tape and I think for us to be great we don’t need another undersized guard along with Powell.

ISU losing players to the portal quickly since their season ended.....

Iowa State basketball player Denae Fritz enters the transfer portal
She is from Maryville ,Tennessee per the article.Have not seen her play .does anyone have any inside info on her worth as a player ? How is her quickness and outside shooting prowess ? Being from Maryville ( if that is correct ) seems she just might be a prime candidate for LV's if she is good enough to start at Iowa State.

Reactions: Rooster1
Bigger guards killed walker and Powell this year, of mocking them by saying they are too small and that was the case. I’ve watched the tape and I think for us to be great we don’t need another undersized guard along with Powell.
Georgia Amoore is 5'6, and I don't think any guard hurt Tennessee more than she did. Alexis Morris is like 5'7, Kierra Fletcher 5'9.

I don't think anything is wrong with a small-ish PG, but I'd rather have one like Amoore than a 6'0 player that can't shoot, handle or facilitate as effectively. Those IMO are the most important skills that the PG needs to have.

I don’t think we need another 5’6 Pg, our Pg should be 5’10 and u. I think Donarski would be a better fit.

Since you already have a commitment from Donarski ….. Oh wait …. Will she even visit?

There’s an old saying: “A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush !” Just saying

Last edited:
She is from Maryville ,Tennessee per the article.Have not seen her play .does anyone have any inside info on her worth as a player ? How is her quickness and outside shooting prowess ? Being from Maryville ( if that is correct ) seems she just might be a prime candidate for LV's if she is good enough to start at Iowa State.

Not ranked in top 100 out of high school ! But improved her status to a starter at Iowa. The best thing about her is she will be a redshirt Sophomore… Jmo

Georgia Amoore is 5'6, and I don't think any guard hurt Tennessee more than she did. Alexis Morris is like 5'7, Kierra Fletcher 5'9.

I don't think anything is wrong with a small-ish PG, but I'd rather have one like Amoore than a 6'0 player that can't shoot, handle or facilitate as effectively. Those IMO are the most important skills that the PG needs to have.

Amoore scored 24 against Ohio State and they knew she had 29 against us ???? 🤷‍♂️

An undersized guard that doesn't penetrate the defense well isn't a big help. But an undersized guard that can penetrate, and also shoot a high % on 3's, is absolutely a benefit.

An undersized guard that doesn't penetrate the defense well isn't a big help. But an undersized guard that can penetrate, and also shoot a high % on 3's, is absolutely a benefit.

Yep, you have to have a high 3% if you’re going to be a small guard. That way players have to come out and guard you. Then you can blow by.

That is why Amoore is so dangerous. You have to respect her and can’t give her any space from 3 so then she can penetrate and dish or score.

Powell really needs to work on her trigger and confidence from 3. She finally started knocking them down late in the season but was hardly being guarded out there.

Smaller guards also have to work on that change of pace. Powell and Walker both wanted to straight line drive and shoot a layup. That is usually going to get blocked. Once they get by their defender they need to pull a little hesi and make the big pick them up. Then you can get your shoulders by and score with the foul, or dish to the open big after their defender helps. They made it too easy for them to be defended.

Amoore is 5'6 and she killed us (and many others too). It is just not size but the overall skill set. And in the past, when the LVs had bigger guards, like Shekinna Stricklen, people complained that we needed smaller "waterbug" guards who had low centers of gravity and quicker first steps than is typical of bigger guards. So, the grass is always greener.

Yep, you have to have a high 3% if you’re going to be a small guard. That way players have to come out and guard you. Then you can blow by.

That is why Amoore is so dangerous. You have to respect her and can’t give her any space from 3 so then she can penetrate and dish or score.

Powell really needs to work on her trigger and confidence from 3. She finally started knocking them down late in the season but was hardly being guarded out there.

Smaller guards also have to work on that change of pace. Powell and Walker both wanted to straight line drive and shoot a layup. That is usually going to get blocked. Once they get by their defender they need to pull a little hesi and make the big pick them up. Then you can get your shoulders by and score with the foul, or dish to the open big after their defender helps. They made it too easy for them to be defended.

Powell and Walker did have decent success getting to the rim. But, it seemed like if they had success with an open lane, they would then try to drive into traffic, where the bigs awaited.

Powell and Walker did have decent success getting to the rim. But, it seemed like if they had success with an open lane, they would then try to drive into traffic, where the bigs awaited.
I wonder if having TK under the basket screening and ready for a pass would make a difference when they drive to the basket? Thoughts anyone?

Elite 8 PG's

Louisville - C. Carr, M Robinson, HVL - all under 5'8 (run point by committee)
Iowa - Clark 6'0

MD - Elisa Pinzan 5'8
SC - Z Cooke and K Fletcher - 5'9

VT - G Amoore - 5'6
OSU - No real point guard (which is what hurt them against VT imo) but Sheldon/McMahon are their distributors usually

LSU - A Morris/K Poole - 5'6
Miami - Cavinder Twins, and L Dwyer - 5'6

Size does not matter if it fits your offense, and they can play defense.

I wonder if having TK under the basket screening and ready for a pass would make a difference when they drive to the basket? Thoughts anyone?
First thing that came to mind was padded extensions for her practicing around the rim with Jill. Order in sets of three. Soft, medium and firm. Soft for the summer. Medium starting toward the end of summer into the start of fall. Then use the firm the last couple of weeks and during the non conference schedule.

Reactions: glv98

I would like a Pg that does it all like Donarski, so u want a backcourt with 2 5’6 guards?

VN Store

Back