Tracking Saban's Replacement Thread

“head coach in waiting” was trendy for a few years in the 00s but never seemed to work out very well. Either the one waiting got tired of waiting or it got ugly as the older coach was forced out.

ADs thought better of it.

Ryan Day is the last one I think you are going to see or awhile, and even that was more of a forced exit since Urban had that scandal of covering up DV. Ryan Day is probably HC somewhere else right now if Urban wasn't forced out.

Maybe Clemson one day when Dabo leaves has a successor. Even then I have my doubts. It's just so hard to keep coordinators nowadays.

For the life of me I can’t understand why anyone would be scared of Kiffin going to Bama
It’s a baffling thing, the Kiffin infatuation. There are honest to God so many Vol fans who think he is the best coach in the country. The only thing I can figure is that they had the best 9 months of their lives while he just so happened to be the coach here, and everything went south after he left. Some kind of Pavlovian dog response to hearing his name just makes them feel good. I hope that’s the reason, at least.

No way I'm leaving Texas if I am Sark. Especially if Quinn is coming back, then Texas has a better returning roster than Bama. Milroe does not fit Sark's style of QB at all.

Last edited:
I would say that Saban talked to the administration months ago and they've been researching for his replacement for a while.
they probably already know who they want.

Reactions: BristolVol
I still think it's Dabo regardless of how much the buyout will cost. Now that Tennessee is trending up Clemson recruiting is taking a hit. Just my opinion.

It’s a baffling thing, the Kiffin infatuation. There are honest to God so many Vol fans who think he is the best coach in the country. The only thing I can figure is that they had the best 9 months of their lives while he just so happened to be the coach here, and everything went south after he left. Some kind of Pavlovian dog response to hearing his name just makes them feel good. I hope that’s the reason, at least.
It truly is mind boggling, it's not like he's won anything here, or anywhere really. He's had a couple of good years being a coach, that's it, literally, and neither of them was while he was here.

I heard they were looking for someone young and fairly new as a head coach, and they were looking at Beamer.

Not too much interested in participating in this one because it eventually happens to every single school. We (UT) are not exempt from this and have gone through some painful years. They can return at any time a HC decides he has had enough.

I too, believe Bama had someone in the bag when Saban made his announcement. I doubt they would just line up guys for interviews for this job. They can't be that stupid because their ego is too big for someone to turn them down. Texas, Oregon, Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma and Georgia have just as much to offer as Bama. The college landscape has changed--12 team playoff-- and I'm sure that had something to do with the retirement.

Reactions: HammondB3Vol
The man bought a lot of benefit of the doubt with those multiple championships and elite level winning throughout two decades…along with red Dodge Chargers, homes and no show jobs for 5 star’s families and ground up unicorn powder for his athletes.
So, what are ya sayin'??????

C'mon, man.

Mario Cristobal got a DIRECT QUESTION "Would you take the Miami job if offered?" on December 4, 2021. He said, "Offered? I've not talked to anyone so let's not start a narrative....." He signed with Miami on December 6, 2021.

Believing what coaches say about loyalty or how they behave until they jump to a different school or whatever is ridiculous.

Supposedly Saban was conducting interviews for his staff a few hours before he announced he was leaving.

Coaches lie. Often. Loyalty hasn't existed for coaches from schools nor from coaches to schools since the money became ridiculous.

If Lanning is leaving Oregon, he'll almost surely insist he's not leaving, never dreamed of moving, and couldn't be dragged away....... while his wife packs up the house to move.

Exactly. Why on earth would a sane coach not insist he wasn't going anywhere? What recruit is committing to play for a guy who answers that question with "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it"?

Regarding loyalty, it's funny how quickly the players have adapted to the same lack of loyalty as the coaches have all these years. Can't say as I blame them, but it really makes you feel good about the future of the sport, you know?

As far as candidates, it's clear that Smart and Sarkisian are in perfect spots on the same level as Bama, and aren't going anywhere. Lanning and Kiffin are the most attractive candidates, and two who I believe could handle the pressure of the gig and keep it at that high level.

Beyond that, it's a complete dice roll. If they have to go beyond those two guys, it's anyone's guess how it works out, but mine would be a few years of falling back to the pack until the right guy was found. This won't be popular here, but I hope it's Kiffin, as the juice factor of the TSIO would only increase, if that's possible.

Reactions: NurseVol
The first thing to say is that no one knows what will happen, but I have a hard time understanding why either Sark or Lanning would leave top jobs. Both are in outstanding jobs. I know Bama is a destination job, but Texas and Oregon can give them everything they need to win. Bama would definitely be a step up for Kiffin, but the question is whether he wants to risk his reputation on following the GOAT.

Another plus for Lanning staying at Oregon is that it won't be nearly as difficult to get to the new playoff playing in the Big 10 as it would in the SEC. Here, the schedule is a meat grinder while in the Big 10 there are really only 5-6 teams that could be good. The negative there now would be the ridiculous travel.

Dan Lanning seems to make the most sense but you never know with these coaching searches. Kiffin is probably in the mix as well but I just don't think Kiffin will be successful at Alabama.

No way I'm leaving Texas if I am Sark. Especially if Quinn is coming back, then Texas has a better returning roster than Bama. Milroe does not fit Sark's style of QB at all.

True. If you have the same resources at your disposal as Bama or any other blue blood, a ton of incoming talent and your QB room set up for the next 3-4 years, you would need your head examined if you left that situation.

Regarding Smart, he's already at his destination job and has made Georgia the equal of what Saban built at Bama, so he would have nowhere to go but down. To even suggest him as a candidate is absurd.

Reactions: I4Vols

VN Store

Back