Tracing your ancestry

Anyone know how to check into old Supreme Court cases? My 3rd great-grandfather worked for the railroad in Roane County and was run over. I found this while looking in some family stuff.

Bill had worked for the railroad for several years doing various jobs of working in leather and ironworks. One night in 1905 as he was walking home from work he was going through the tunnels between Harriman and Oakdale a train came along apparently he didn't hear the whistle blowing and there was no place for him to go once he saw it. He was killed instantly according to doctors reports. When it got late g-grandma Nancy got her oil lantern, telling her oldest children to take care of the others then went out to search. After a long walk she came upon the train with several men standing around talking & trying to keep her away. She fought her way through and held his body until they came to move him. Needless to say that would be devastating. She sued the railroad & fought they for several years. She eventually took it to the Supreme Court but she finally won the case.
He left a widow with eight children; Eddie, Bill, Harrison, Walter, Lawrence, Rosa, Mae & Minnie.

How true it is I have no clue. I don't know if they would mean the TN Supreme Court or the U.S. Supreme Court I looked in to some old cases, but couldn't really nail down anything
I’m gonna guess state only because the law that federalized worker’s comp for railroad employees passed in 1908.

Reactions: C1500
I got an ancestor dna kit for Christmas. I sent it in and registered/set up my account on the app last week. Really looking forward to getting the results

It's really neat. I have met 8 people through it who is close family I never met. It's a tad pricey, but if you plan on doing a deep dive I would get the big plan. That way you can see documents and some old newspapers.

Reactions: ArdentVol
When Daddy was living (could not have done it dead,) he tracked our ancestry. He spent days in Nashville with the microfiche reader. And beyond. Turned out that despite my German heritage, ole Nicholas fought and killed many during the Revolutionary War. Daddy said: You are eligible for DAR. I was 20. I said: Who cares?

Reactions: tbh
Just gonna say be careful with this DNA ancestry stuff. My sister starting sharing some results after a family dinner. What she was saying directly contradicts a well researched and easily verifiable family history that one of our kinsmen prepared awhile back. Now I have questions, and I doubt I am alone.

Just gonna say be careful with this DNA ancestry stuff. My sister starting sharing some results after a family dinner. What she was saying directly contradicts a well researched and easily verifiable family history that one of our kinsmen prepared awhile back. Now I have questions, and I doubt I am alone.
Plus these companies are selling off peoples’ DNA info. I wouldn’t touch this stuff.

Reactions: EasternVol
When Daddy was living (could not have done it dead,) he tracked our ancestry. He spent days in Nashville with the microfiche reader. And beyond. Turned out that despite my German heritage, ole Nicholas fought and killed many during the Revolutionary War. Daddy said: You are eligible for DAR. I was 20. I said: Who cares?
maternal grandmother was so proud of DAR membership
my mom never had desire to join
same for dad's side of family

VN Store

Back