Total SEC Wins by Team - Time Lapse

Very cool. I am guessing this is total wins against SEC teams, not official SEC wins, because it starts before there was an SEC. Still very cool though.

Imagine where we would be if not for this decade of d-baggery

I second that opinion. Even in the midst of arguably the worst decade in the history of Volunteer football, we’re still in the top 10 in total wins, and I believe we’re still in the top 3-5 in bowl appearances. I saw a graphic somewhere recently that stated TN (through 2018) had the most wins in their home stadium of any FBS team. Sorry, don’t remember who was in 2nd place or how far behind us they were.

Reactions: Halph66
Yes, that was very cool. Would like to know the total wins for just i conference play. Or total in conference win/loss percentage.

Funny watching Vandy drop from the top to almost the bottom. But poor MSU still below Vandy.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
Kinda surprised florida is so far down the list.
It's actually pretty easy why they are way down on the list. They weren't very good until the 80's with the exception of a few years. Actually they weren't that good in the 80's overall the best team they had in that decade was in 1985 and that team was on major probation for all kind of illegal stuff. Florida wasn't very relevant in the sec until the 90's. GBO!!!!!!!

Love these time lapse graphs.

A few observations:

-- Vandy was the winningest program among current SEC members from the 1890s until after many folks here were already alive -- some time in the early 1960s. Let that sink in: Vandy, lowly Vandy, was the winningest program of all current SEC teams for something like 70 years. More than half the lifetime of college football in the southeastern US.

-- Would love to see this chart done again adding and taking away programs as they joined and left the SEC. Like powerhouse (back in the day) Sewanee, Georgia Tech, and Tulane. And keep in mind: the SEC didn't itself exist until 1932, though many SEC founders were together in the larger Southern Conference with a host of current ACC teams for more than a decade prior to that (1921-1932 or so).

-- You can clearly see the effect of the Neyland years, as we (and Bama) climbed the chart to catch Vandy. No wonder the General wanted to beat Vandy worse than any other team in the conference!

-- You can also see the Fulmer years, as we race to catch up with Bama, and briefly surpass them, before the Decade of Gloom began.

-- Florida was, for decades, the cellar-dweller of the SEC. And didn't even climb out of the Bottom 3 until the late 1980s / early 1990s. All their success is a recent thing, for anyone over the age of 40. To this day, they're only a middle-of-the-pack school, if you take the long view.

-- For those who believe Vandy and Kentucky are the cellar of the SEC, nope. They're only the cellar of the East. Mississippi State never really gets out of the Bottom 3 (okay, very briefly, at one point, they get up to 4th-from-last). Ole Miss doesn't do much better for the majority of the timeline. That team we beat last weekend, they're the true cellar-dwellers.

Thanks for this rjd, it is illuminating!

Last edited:
Love these time lapse graphs.

A few observations:

-- Vandy was the winningest program among current SEC members from the 1890s until after many folks here were already alive -- some time in the early 1960s. Let that sink in: Vandy, lowly Vandy, was the winningest program of all current SEC teams for something like 70 years. More than half the lifetime of college football in the southeastern US.

-- Would love to see this chart done again adding and taking away programs as they joined and left the SEC. Like powerhouse (back in the day) Sewanee, Georgia Tech, and Tulane. And keep in mind: the SEC didn't itself exist until 1932, though many SEC founders were together in the larger Southern Conference with a host of current ACC teams for more than a decade prior to that (1921-1932 or so).

-- You can clearly see the effect of the Neyland years, as we (and Bama) climbed the chart to catch Vandy. No wonder the General wanted to beat Vandy worse than any other team in the conference!

-- You can also see the Fulmer years, as we race to catch up with Bama, and briefly surpass them, before the Decade of Gloom began.

-- Florida was, for decades, the cellar-dweller of the SEC. And didn't even climb out of the Bottom 3 until the late 1980s / early 1990s. All their success is a recent thing, for anyone over the age of 40. To this day, they're only a middle-of-the-pack school, if you take the long view.

-- For those who believe Vandy and Kentucky are the cellar of the SEC, nope. They're only the cellar of the East. Mississippi State never really gets out of the Bottom 3 (okay, very briefly, at one point, they get up to 4th-from-last). Ole Miss doesn't do much better for the majority of the timeline. That team we beat last weekend, they're the true cellar-dwellers.

Thanks for this rjd, it is illuminating!

That anomaly can be explained by reference to two stats: the McGugin years and post-McGugin years. During Dan McGugin’s tenure (1904-1934), Vandy was 201-57-19 for a winning percentage of 0.75993 (I-A Winning Percentage 1904-1934), which ranked 6th nationally for that period.

Post-McGugin (1935-present), their record has been 338-537-24 for a winning percentage of 0.38932 (I-A Winning Percentage 1935-2018), which ranks 107th nationally (or 4th worst).

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Kinda surprised florida is so far down the list.

A few factors:

1. Florida was God awful until 1950 and didn’t start playing football until after everyone else.

2. No one lived in the state of Florida.

One of the reasons I keep saying this isn’t cyclical is that when you look at the population figures, enrollment size, endowment size, etc., Florida’s going to be a factor.

All of that didn’t exist in 1937.

VN Store

Back