Top 50 ranking is over due!!

I40flyer

keeping it real
The NCAA has so many bowl games, few people, even professionals can name them, the majority are "participation" awards-40 bowls 80 teams. During this expansion of bowl games, there has been no attention given to the Top Ranked Teams!! The idea that only the top 25 teams should be ranked, it out of touch with reality, the list should include at least the top 50, as this would only leave off 30 teams that were so good they were going to a bowl!!! This change would also make coaches jobs easier. Even after crap years, they could brag how much it means to be a "Top Ranked" team, and how that is reflected by their bowl appearance etc.. I'm not sure that just 50 would do it, I might be for ranking the TOP 80 powerhouse teams!!! What ever happened to the Old Days? Remember when crap teams, crap years were treated as such, without all the fan boys?????:pepper::whistling::popcorn::shaking2:

Reactions: 1 person
College football:. The only sport where people get pissed about having more games to watch.

Reactions: 12 people
College football:. The only sport where people get pissed about having more games to watch.
I've said that countless times. If you don't want to watch a bowl game then don't. Why does it bother you if you're not even going to watch?
I love college football and watch every game I can.

I've said that countless times. If you don't want to watch a bowl game then don't. Why does it bother you if you're not even going to watch?
I love college football and watch every game I can.

VN proves that people just love to ***** about something.

Reactions: 7 people
And, yet, the mere mention of a true play off system, makes grown men cry! The wimper about the "extra games" and how much it would cost$$ some teams (those not actually winning on the field) etc.

And, yet, the mere mention of a true play off system, makes grown men cry! The wimper about the "extra games" and how much it would cost$$ some teams (those not actually winning on the field) etc.

The extra games argument is laughable. College football players miss less class time than any other sport.

What it comes down to is college Presidents love big bowl payouts and TV money and they haven't figured out how to fit a playoff system into all of that yet.

Just what we need. More rankings to nurture the mentality that we should hand out more participation awards

ole-miss-peach-bowl.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Seriously, what's with all the whining? Nobody is saying a Birmingham Bowl berth makes your program special. Do people complain about the NIT and CBI to this degree?

Seriously, what's with all the whining? Nobody is saying a Birmingham Bowl berth makes your program special. Do people complain about the NIT and CBI to this degree?

It's mainly people over 50 that can remember when it was Sugar, Orange, Rose, Fiesta, Cotton, Gator and just a few others and making a bowl game was truly prestigious.

Haha. You're dead on right. I don't get it. I'll watch as much as I possibly can...more is better. It's like the guys who complain about how long the games are and to implement new rules because of it....I don't get it.

I don't even complain about that. You know it must be bad to be that kind of complainer.

I would watch almost any team in a bowl game

It's mainly people over 50 that can remember when it was Sugar, Orange, Rose, Fiesta, Cotton, Gator and just a few others and making a bowl game was truly prestigious.

maybe over 65

It wasn't really until the early '80s that the steady climb to 40 bowls really started. Before then, there were only about 12-15 (give or take) bowls in any given year. So ~25-30 teams played. Which matched the Top 25 ranking systems pretty well.

So if you're over 40, and you paid attention to college football as a kid, you probably remember the days when getting to a bowl was a big deal.

Last edited:
With 40 bowls it makes logical sense that there would be a "Top 80" list. Yes, I am one that remembers when getting to a bowl game, was special, your team earned the invitation, there weren't any "Participation award bowls", in fact, I remember when Tennessee played in some of those bowls-and yes, we deserved to be there. Top 80 teams, and yet a top 25 ranking???? No one seems to want to comment about that, perhaps it makes sense, or they are math/logic challenged.

I agree. The people who complain about too many bowls are thinking old school, when it used to be an elite event. Now they are just sort of like special-venue OOC marquee games, almost the way the Battle in Bristol will be, except bowls are post-season. If we recognize that only elite bowls signify elite status, then we can celebrate the fact that lesser teams get to have a a bit of a post-season too, and that doesn't detract at all from the teams in the Sugar, Rose, Orange, etc., or the NC game for that matter.

I still think the playoffs should be at least the top 8 or 10 teams.

That's easy enough to work out and those games would generate lots more watchers and advertising income.

Having 5-7 teams in bowl games seems silly.

These huge companies that sponsor a bowl game could pay double what they pay and it would still be cheap for all the advertising they get in return.

It's also considered as advertising so it's a tax write off.

Basketball can do a much bigger playoff so it would be simple enough for the football playoffs to do a 8 or 10 team playoff system.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

VN Store

Back