Top 5 loss in Tennessee history?

We were set up perfect for the CFP in year 2 with CJH after 2 decades of irrelevance. I’m 48 and in my lifetime as an adult it’s def the worst.
We may never have this opportunity again, been over 20 years since our last this one hurts worse than any loss I can remember… this South Carolina team is horrible makes it much worse

Sadly this game is probably the biggest disappointment for me. Fan for 30+years.

yeah 10-2 is a huge, amazing success if we win out but we literally laid a miserable egg tonight. We had such an easy path into the playoffs.

I really hope there isn’t something more going on under the surface.

I really just think these young men are learning to deal with all the hype associated with being At the next level and getting so much attention. Every team is gonna bring it when your top 5. Every opposing fan is talking trash. It was all in our players heads. in hookers head with the QB trash talk prior to game.

The players will learn to tune it out and focus on what they have to do to win and stay at the top. This is likely just the natural process of transitioning from a losing team (nobody cares about) to sustained winning/success (where everyone has an opinion about you).
The next step is learning to take care of business when everyone is talking about you.

Where do we rank it?

Any Vandy loss
Wyoming
Memphis State
North Texas State
USCjr 2016
USCjr 2022 when you're a TWENTY THREE POINT FAVORITE AGAINST A TEAM THAT SCORED ZERO TOUCHDOWNS A WEEK AGO AND THEN ALLOWED THEM TO SCORE 63 #*$^#>#>#^# POINTS

Don't forget the Foster fumble out of the end zone game

Reactions: UTFanHades
This ranks up there vs Memphis state in 96
I swear that punt returnees knee was down
Kevin or Keith Cobb was 2 twin brothers on that team and the knee wasn’t down.. I was there also.. to be a horrible loss it was kinda a joy to see a fanbase so happy to win against big brother.

Kevin or Keith Cobb was 2 twin brothers on that team and the knee wasn’t down.. I was there also.. to be a horrible loss it was kinda a joy to see a fanbase so happy to win against big brother.
Let explain that statement everyone brought it to Tenn in the 90’s so I always know we gonna score 40 and the other team has no shot. Had that week end to week out mentality that Tenn by fiddy. Tenn had the talent then and played defense.!

This ranks up there vs Memphis state in 96
I swear that punt returnees knee was down
His forearm was down. He should have been called down. We also bounced back in 97 and 98. I remember going 0-6 in 88 and 11-1 in 89. We have had some big wins this year, tonight was a bad loss but it doesn’t take away the year. We got to finish up right next week. Go kick Vandy’s rear! GBO! Get win number 10!

Reactions: DC_Vol
We were set up perfect for the CFP in year 2 with CJH after 2 decades of irrelevance. I’m 48 and in my lifetime as an adult it’s def the worst.
USC and TCU aren’t going to lose. I think we would’ve been left out regardless, tbh.

His forearm was down. He should have been called down. We also bounced back in 97 and 98. I remember going 0-6 in 88 and 11-1 in 89. We have had some big wins this year, tonight was a bad loss but it doesn’t take away the year. We got to finish up right next week. Go kick Vandy’s rear! GBO! Get win number 10!
My point is irrelevant yeh we should have beat Memphis state
But we got beat straight up tonight, no excuses

IMO...for what was at stake for me it ranks up there with the 2001 SECCG....We were playing for the right to go to the NC game and tonight for the right to get in the playoffs and get to a NC game...

There have been several disappointing loses and at 67 I've seen several.

Reactions: Clad in Big Orange
Certainly one of the worst losses in recent history. Still think the 2001 LSU loss and way before that, the 1968 Ole Miss loss when we were undefeated and ranked 3rd were more devastating.

Kind of depends on how Heupel handles this in terms of coaching decisions. My opinion is we need to upgrade both talent and coaching on the defensive side now because we just aren’t going to be competitive with upper echelon SEC with the current level.

It’s the worst. Anything said otherwise is incorrect. We’ve lost games with a lot on the line, we’ve been blown out, we’ve lost to bad teams, but we’ve never been blown out by this bad of a team with this much on the line.

It’s absolutely the most impactful loss we’ve ever sustained.

VN Store

Back