Too Many Teams, not enough players and coaches

KYSkipper

Just my opinion.

There are 2 coaches in this country who can get whatever players they want. Saban and Sweeney. The rest of the teams are trying to assemble a team and a coaching staff from the left overs. The SEC this year has what? 4 Coaching vacancies because nobody can build a team to compete against Saban. Who do you hire? If we get rid of Pruett what's the chances that his replacement can or will do any better? Yeah, I'm tired of being the loosing team and sucking wind, but, to be frankly honest, the rest of the schools, not just SEC, keep trying the same thing and Saban and Sweeney continue to win and the rest have decent times and times that plain suck like us.

UT has wasted a ton of money on coaches and buyouts and none of it has helped the program one little bit. How much is this time going to cost? Are we going to be any better or more of the same?

Reactions: nasvol
Just my opinion.

There are 2 coaches in this country who can get whatever players they want. Saban and Sweeney. The rest of the teams are trying to assemble a team and a coaching staff from the left overs. The SEC this year has what? 4 Coaching vacancies because nobody can build a team to compete against Saban. Who do you hire? If we get rid of Pruett what's the chances that his replacement can or will do any better? Yeah, I'm tired of being the loosing team and sucking wind, but, to be frankly honest, the rest of the schools, not just SEC, keep trying the same thing and Saban and Sweeney continue to win and the rest have decent times and times that plain suck like us.

UT has wasted a ton of money on coaches and buyouts and none of it has helped the program one little bit. How much is this time going to cost? Are we going to be any better or more of the same?
You left out Ryan Day

Just my opinion.

Dude, your'e asking questions that we won't know UNLESS WE TRY.

The chance of Pruitt improving enough to compete is minimal.

I agree, reality is we are not going to beat Bama or probably even compete in that game for as long as Saban is coach. However, I think we should be winning many more games and be competitive in all other games.
Besides Bama and a fluke year (because of QB play) at LSU the rest of conference has had no consistency over the past 10 years.
I also think at some point universities are going to take a stand against these insane contract buyouts. A coach with no HC experience should not have more than one year...IMO.

Reactions: Wireless1
This is all Tennessee’s fault, Clemson is dominating by recruiting the regions that Tennessee used to cherry pick. It’s not that we’re cheap either, we’ve burned more money on coaches than most and gotten probably less out of those coaches than any other team in the country.

I know there’s been plenty of turn over at the coach, AD, president, chancellor positions over the years as well. The one thing that has not changed is we haven’t put intelligent highly sought after people in positions of power and let them do their jobs.

We need to have a top tier AD making decisions without significant influence from alumni, former players, coaches, boosters, etc. All of those people should have opinions but not influence over hiring. Does anyone think Fulmer would be in the top ten names that any major program would call to fill their AD position other than Tennessee?

Dude, your'e asking questions that we won't know UNLESS WE TRY.

The chance of Pruitt improving enough to compete is minimal.
This program can’t afford to keep Pruitt. It’s not only fan attendance in the short term, recruiting classes degrade in quality to the point where it will be years before Tennessee fields a competitive team that most fans will want to see. I know in the past people have still packed the stadium but at some point the golden goose is dead and it’s harder to get back from that.

I agree, reality is we are not going to beat Bama or probably even compete in that game for as long as Saban is coach. However, I think we should be winning many more games and be competitive in all other games.
Besides Bama and a fluke year (because of QB play) at LSU the rest of conference has had no consistency over the past 10 years.
I also think at some point universities are going to take a stand against these insane contract buyouts. A coach with no HC experience should not have more than one year...IMO.

The bolded is a pretty good summation of my total frustration with UT football. It is futile at this point and it sucks I'm ready to give up on something I used to enjoy so much, even when we were down. The light at the end of the tunnel is all but gone at this point.

Just my opinion.

Alabama isn't the standard, they are the exception. We aren't trying to keep up with Saban. We are trying to beat the teams we should beat on a regular basis: Kentucky, SC, Mizzou, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, etc. I don't understand the mental gymnastics some of you take to defend Pruitt. He isn't in trouble because he can't beat Alabama. He is trouble because other much more winnable games have been disasters. There are two coaches on the market right now who have proven that they can beat those type of teams and can at least occasionally beat a very talented rival. Pruitt hasn't shown anything other than a win over an over ranked Auburn team and Kentucky.

AL has more 5* future NFL players on its team right now than TN will have in the next 5 yrs. TN is so far behind AL in talent there is no catching up right now. Saban gets the #1 recruiting class every year. You can't gain any ground on that. I don't think a TN HC should be judged by AL. FL-GA yeah, we can compete with them if we have some good coaches.

Reactions: BigOrangeNC
It's just difficult to accept reality. We have continued to delude ourselves over the last 15 years that Tennessee is an elite program. Success breeds success. Clemson did not have a history of success before Dabo. Like UT, they had an isolated NC with Danny Ford but he eventually got in trouble and was gone. They treaded water with the Bowden family tree but when Dabo took over it was a perfect fit. He was emotional, bonded with the players and surrounded himself with good coaches that gave stability to the program. When he first took over FSU had not fallen off the radar and he benefited by being in the ACC. He then recruited lights out and built on the success year after year. Tennessee and Clemson share a lot of history, each program having had success and then faded. UT could have followed the plan that Clemson did but the leaders were incompetent. Hell, Trevor Lawrence grew up a UT/Peyton fan and could have easily signed with UT if we had been winning. Imagine what a legacy he could have left at UT had things been different.

Reactions: WxVol
Definitely not enough coaches. 5, only 5 active coaches have won a NC. 2 of them probably won’t win another (Brown & EdO). No reason in hell the money be this high for mediocrity

Left off Miles
Yep. Add another that won’t smell another NC

Facts are there are far more schools out there capable of winning a national championship than there are coaches capable of winning one. Why schools are throwing insane money at coaches who cannot deliver just because Alabama has a guy worth 10 million is beyond me.

Last edited:
Reactions: MocVol
IDK, Kirby has proved to be able to recruit with those guys.

Kirby can. Lincoln Riley & Ryan Day both will probably win one. Maybe Christobal at Oregon. Kiffin will implode somewhere before he does. It’s not a long list that’s for sure.

Half the SEC schools can win a NC. FSU, Miami, ND & Clemson could. Penn St, OSU, Mich in Big 10, OU& Texas in Big 12, USC, Oregon & maybe Washington could in pac 12

Reactions: igotworms
Alabama isn't the standard, they are the exception. We aren't trying to keep up with Saban. We are trying to beat the teams we should beat on a regular basis: Kentucky, SC, Mizzou, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, etc. I don't understand the mental gymnastics some of you take to defend Pruitt. He isn't in trouble because he can't beat Alabama. He is trouble because other much more winnable games have been disasters. There are two coaches on the market right now who have proven that they can beat those type of teams and can at least occasionally beat a very talented rival. Pruitt hasn't shown anything other than a win over an over ranked Auburn team and Kentucky.

Can you point me to a few posts that are defending Pruitt? There is a big difference between defending Pruitt and saying there is no coach on the board right now that is better enough to buy out the current staff and extend a contract to a new coach and his staff. Just better is not good enough to go through the drill. We have to expand the list and that may well take more money than we have on hand and can raise right now. Call that influence if you wish, but money is money and you have to have enough to achieve your goals. Fannies in the seats and the reduced buyouts next year may well be the best plan available right now.

Just my opinion.

3-7 is the worst in my lifetime......so yea things get worse.......and yea it can CERTAINLY get better.

If 1/3rd of “all” your games ends in a blowout loss.........something........anything needs to change.

Just how many SEC teams went 1-7 the last 8 games this year?

Just how many SEC teams have been blown out in 1/3rd of their games over the past 3 seasons?

Tennessee isn’t in the same boat at most the other SEC teams.

If something is broken.....you fix it, or buy another one. “If” you want it fixed........or live with it broken.

I get your fine with Tennessee being broken......many of us aren’t........and if it takes 10 coaches and 30 years we STILL “want” it fixed.

Tennessee doesn’t have to be Bama or Clemson.......but dang it would be nice to score more than 18, it would be nice to be competitive, it would be nice not to have 8 losing seasons over 13 seasons.

Reactions: VaBornVol
Just my opinion.

Bama could have made the same argument at almost any point between the Bear and Saban. I believe the coaches between them averaged 4 years in tenure. They weren't patient. They were MUCH less accepting of mediocrity than UT has been. Other programs rose to dominance during that period... a source of frustration for Bama fans. They just kept looking for the "guy".

The most important leadership roles are above the HC level. It could be a great AD. It could be a really smart power broker among the boosters and donors.

SOMEONE needs to learn when it is the "right time" to cut a coach loose. Jones should have been gone before year 4. In every season he lost games through coaching incompetence and poor development (product of a terrible philosophy of play) that should have been wins. Imagine if that had happened and the roster UT had to sell to a top tier coach included Dobbs, Hurd, Kamara, etc. "But, but... Jones deserved the chance to see what he could do with that roster", right? NO. Coaches don't "deserve" chances that they have not earned. He was paid and lost too much in the first 3 years. I wise decision to replace him could have been the turning point for the program.

Reactions: igotworms
Kirby can. Lincoln Riley & Ryan Day both will probably win one. Maybe Christobal at Oregon. Kiffin will implode somewhere before he does. It’s not a long list that’s for sure.

Half the SEC schools can win a NC. FSU, Miami, ND & Clemson could. Penn St, OSU, Mich in Big 10, OU& Texas in Big 12, USC, Oregon & maybe Washington could in pac 12
No way....its Dabo and Saban for probably 10 more years......you can sprinkle in an LSU (QB playing insane) type team maybe once or twice in the next ten years.

No way....its Dabo and Saban for probably 10 more years......you can sprinkle in an LSU (QB playing insane) type team maybe once or twice in the next ten years.

I was speaking of those schools if they have a good coach. Some schools could have Saban and still not be able to win a NC. I’m not saying those schools in their current situation could win a NC. I think you could put a lot of coaches at Alabama and they couldn’t win a NC. 3 Mikes would agree with me

Can you point me to a few posts that are defending Pruitt? There is a big difference between defending Pruitt and saying there is no coach on the board right now that is better enough to buy out the current staff and extend a contract to a new coach and his staff. Just better is not good enough to go through the drill. We have to expand the list and that may well take more money than we have on hand and can raise right now. Call that influence if you wish, but money is money and you have to have enough to achieve your goals. Fannies in the seats and the reduced buyouts next year may well be the best plan available right now.

Umm I would take better as would most fans, no one is claiming NC’s as the measuring stick. We aren’t better off as a program under Pruitt than we were under Jones unless you just compare it to his last season

VN Store

Back