Too early to look at the Pitt game?

I think we have a good shot at Pitt but I don’t understand people who think this will be a cake walk. I would venture to guess Pitt will end up the favorite. Phil Steele has them at preseason 11 (Vols preseason 27).

Reactions: LittleVol
I think we have a good shot at Pitt but I don’t understand people who think this will be a cake walk. I would venture to guess Pitt will end up the favorite. Phil Steele has them at preseason 11 (Vols preseason 27).
Partly due to last year. If Milton hadn't missed a half dozen deep throws early, Pitt would have been so deep in the hole that it would have completely changed the course of the game. Missed opportunities kept them in the game. Then... it wasn't Pitt. It was Kenny Pickett basically putting the team on his back. Pickett is gone. Their best WR is gone.

Steele is pretty much like all the rest who look across the tree tops of college football and make predictions at this point of the season. He made his name when we all looked forward to the College Football previews on supermarket news stands... those don't even exist anymore... and he's about as relevant.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I think this will be a test - road game against what should be a quality opponent.

If we lose . . . Or struggle to win . . . It’s not a good sign of things to come for the season.

Our defense we will keep them in the game (probably).

I think Steele does his rankings based on schedule combined w/ talent. Pitt definitely has the benefit of playing in the ACC Coastal.

I think Steele does his rankings based on schedule combined w/ talent. Pitt definitely has the benefit of playing in the ACC Coastal.
Vegas will likely have them favored too. I would guess Pitt -3. Again I’m not saying we won’t or can’t win this.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Vegas will likely have them favored too. I would guess Pitt -3. Again I’m not saying we won’t or can’t win this.
Fanduel has us at -4 right now . Surprised by that. I think we win, but the O line play has to be better. I think we could have the chance to see us do something we didn’t really have the chance to do last year, and that’s see our 4 minute offense take the field and get first downs to close out a game.

Fanduel has us at -4 right now . Surprised by that. I think we win, but the O line play has to be better. I think we could have the chance to see us do something we didn’t really have the chance to do last year, and that’s see our 4 minute offense take the field and get first downs to close out a game.
Oh wow. I didn’t realize there were any lines actually out. Shows what I know.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
We have the superior offense. They have lost much more than we have. There are zero reasons we should lose this game. ZERO. Even with Addison and Pickett last year they barely beat us.

Their rushing attack wasn't great last season. But it didn't need to be. Because of Pickett and all those pass catchers. Good defense and an offense that could move the ball.

They beat us AT home.

My guess last year was Vols 45- Pitt 21.
...and then we saw them play. The better team won. Not sure if our offense is superior.

Now where playing at Pitt.
We have the talent to win. Just not sure if it's ready yet.

We need to circle this game

The majority of this board blew off Pitt last year and just assumed a win. There was much weeping and gnashing of teeth when we lost, but as the season ultimately proved, Pitt had a pretty decent ball club. They are likely going to be pretty good this year too. If we go up there and get a W it will be a good win. We absolutely can beat them, we could lose also.

I believe that this game, and some others, will be much closer than most people expect.

I can give detailed specific reasons but I don't think many on here really enjoy reading my mini-novels, LOL1

I'll simply say that I expect LOTS of fake injuries by their D players and that 1 simple tactic will erase LOTS of our advantages that we use so well on our O side of the ball.

I still think we'll get the WIN but I see several nailbiters coming this season.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: LittleVol
Dear Vols

I’d suggest taking it one game at a time

Sincerely

Georgia State

Heupel would have beaten GA State by 50.

And Pitt is the defending ACC champion.
It's not a valid comparison at all haha
Not to mention most importantly they beat us just last year.

VN Store

Back