Tony Elliott (Clemson OC)

I'm not sure what "stage" y'all think Tennessee is at that a "proven" coach is going to come here, but this ain't it. That's part of the problem, an unrealistic fan base. Tony Elliot would be a homerun, if given four years to build this program back up. Tennessee isn't one coach away, any more than they aren't one player away. The program is where it is today. What Tennessee used to be is irrelevant.

Tony Elliot could be brought on as OC. He could be the choice of the new coach. Maybe they are going to pay the new coach AND his OC top dollar.
Just like Steele was brought on, NOT as the coach, Elliot could be coming, NOT as the HC.

This Administration will get it right. We will be shocked and pleased!
I would go for Elliott as OC and coach in waiting

Tony Elliot could be brought on as OC. He could be the choice of the new coach. Maybe they are going to pay the new coach AND his OC top dollar.
Just like Steele was brought on, NOT as the coach, Elliot could be coming, NOT as the HC.

This Administration will get it right. We will be shocked and pleased!
I would go for Elliott as OC and coach in waiting

There have been companies continue to fail by just throwing money at the problem and hiring the wrong people, regardless of experience. Look at AMD, the previous two CEOs couldn't get them back in the market as Intel continued to dominate, now Lisu Su is gaining market share back by the day. She had the right vision and its paid off.

Now, I'm not saying that Elliot would be the right person for the job, but sometimes you just don't know who will get you back in the fight, and just because you have been a HC before doesn't guarantee success at another location.
I wanted Elliot before Pruitt

Won't we all be relieved when White makes his head coaching pick and we're finally free of VN thread titles showing only the name of whoever the poster wants the next coach to be?
Then we have to hire or re-hire assistant coaches. Just enjoy the ride. Volnation feeds on this excitement that some call drama.

Ok let’s take a deeper look.

Kirby Smart- took over a loaded program from long time HC Mark Richt who had a 145-51 record.

Mark Richt- took over a UGA program from Jim Donnan a man with a 104-40 HC record

Ryan Day- took over for Urban Meyer. Enough said.

Lincoln Riley- took over for Bob Stoops. Enough said.

Dabo- took over for Bowden who had a 72-45 record over a 10 year span at Clemson.

Frost- took over for O Leary who amassed a 81-68 record over 10 years at UCF

Heupel- took over for Frost

Fulmer- took over for Majors. Enough said.

Fitzgerald- took over from Walker whom had been coaching for 16 years

Gundy- took over for Simmons who had been there 6 years

Do you not see the trend? The coaches that have had success as first time HCs followed mostly guys that had long tenure and success. While you are correct in saying they can work out, the evidence suggests, especially in our case, that first time HVs don’t work out.

Elliot would be a huge mistake imo.
This exactly!!! They had taken over stable programs, now if I really think Elliot could be the guy to get the natty, bring him in as OC and coach in waiting JMO

I'm not sure what "stage" y'all think Tennessee is at that a "proven" coach is going to come here, but this ain't it. That's part of the problem, an unrealistic fan base. Tony Elliot would be a homerun, if given four years to build this program back up. Tennessee isn't one coach away, any more than they aren't one player away. The program is where it is today. What Tennessee used to be is irrelevant.
Could be but there’s no more reason to think he’d be any more successful than Pruitt. Pruitt was arguably better qualified because he’d been a coordinator much longer and had been part of three P5 staffs, which gave him more contacts to draw on for building a staff. Elliott is a Clemson lifer who has only been an OC in his own right for one year. Tee is probably more ready than Elliott. That said, Elliott is a hot name and he will get big time offers later this year if we don’t get him. I would not call Elliott a bad hire, but a lot of people would be in wait and see mode if he’s the man.

They will likely go the offensive minded coach, and Tony Elliot would be a heckuva hire. Making Clemson weaker by getting their OC and RB coach would be great. He also gives us immediate recruiting juice and credibility with his playoff experience and national championship prowess. That doesn't mean that he's going to be hired or would be the first called, but I think it would be a pretty good hire, and would also give us the only minority HC in the SEC.
So he’s JP on the offensive side of the ball!
Looks great coaching Trevor Lawrence and a bunch of 5 stars.
No HC experience, so a total experiment

Reactions: Steve_Smith89
That's what he did when he hired Heupel to UCF. 28-8 in his time there.
Ucf was a great team to inherit at the time... Plus there's no bama, uf, uga, a&m, or Auburn's on their schedule... This is an apples to oranges scenario

Tony Elliott may end up being a great head coach, and I could see a lot of top programs potentially hiring him for future openings. However, I just don’t think Tennessee is in a position right now to gamble on a coordinator working out. With everything going on in our program at the present time, I believe we really need someone with head coaching experience.

Tony Elliott may end up being a great head coach, and I could see a lot of top programs potentially hiring him for future openings. However, I just don’t think Tennessee is in a position right now to gamble on a coordinator working out. With everything going on in our program at the present time, I believe we really need someone with head coaching experience.
Been saying that all along, look for Herman/Campbell/Frost

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Elliot declined to be interviewed for the Titans open OC position 2 days ago. If he turned down the prestige and resume boost of an NFL OC slot, I don't think he would come to TN. And personally I'd pick a HC over a coordinator for our spot.

Reactions: Border Vol
Elliot declined to be interviewed for the Titans open OC position 2 days ago. If he turned down the prestige and resume boost of an NFL OC slot, I don't think he would come to TN. And personally I'd pick a HC over a coordinator for our spot.
With the money UT is throwing around it only makes sense to hire an established head coach.

giphy (47).gif

Reactions: HalfullVol
Just remember Elliott is running a form of the Chad Morris offense. That offense got demolished at Arkansas. And this past season his offenses at Clemson looked lost against better teams so I think we should pass on him

Just remember Elliott is running a form of the Chad Morris offense. That offense got demolished at Arkansas. And this past season his offenses at Clemson looked lost against better teams so I think we should pass on him
A form? You’re joking right? You know how many coaches run a form of an offense. Bro C’mon..... how many forms of the spread are there today? Coaching is a copycatting things that you like to make yourself better. Is this what talked you into him sucking?

Just some food for thought....

How many NFL teams have sought after Elliot to be their OC in the past 2 years?

Now, same question for Pruitt, how many NFL teams were knocking down his door?

I think we know who the pros feel better about, but yet somehow we wouldn't want that same person as our HC?

I guarantee you that most of you would take any NFL OC as our HC right about now. Eric Bieniemy? Brian Daboll? Greg Roman? Matt Canada? Should I go on?

Maybe he’s just trying to get a raise at Clemson?
I hope

we need someone proven as a head coach even if it’s in the smaller schools like a chadwell

VN Store

Back