Tony B Show: Do the Vols feel top 5?

THIS team we saw last night is nowhere NEAR a top 5 caliber team. Until they can go a complete game without hitting a multiple minute scoring drought, it'll be status quo come March. This team simply isn't shooting as well as needed right now. WIDE OPEN bricks. One after another. Thank goodness for ZZ's good shooting night.
Can you provide the supporting data for this compared to other teams please, thanks?!

Can you provide the supporting data for this compared to other teams please, thanks?!
IDC what other teams do. Teams that will be around at the end of the tourney don't go through scoring droughts like we do. If you don't want to take my word for it... fine. A 4 min scoring drought, against a GOOD team, will equal getting blown out or giving a team you have on the ropes an opportunity for a huge comeback. That's just basketball. Are you saying we don't have unusually long scoring droughts? If so, I don't know what team you're watching.

Fans have seen the inconsistency in the Tennessee offensive and defensive production for several seasons, that does not occur with regularity in top 10 teams as the season progresses, such that it is hard to get wound up on the Tennessee ranking, particularly looking at Kentucky actually beating Carolina, while Tennessee gave up 61 in the first half and was out of the game despite a spirited second half, Ole Miss beat NC State by 20, Tennessee nearly fumbled that game away in the closing minutes, even tonight against a buy team, Tennessee went into a points drought in the first half, which will eventually cost them winnable SEC games as the season progresses.

Part of the concern is the lack of consistent inside scoring and a defense first approach, rather than a balanced approach to the game, allowing players to play through mistakes, particularly on defense, where the trip to the bench happens with blown defensive assignments and bone head turnovers, quick hooks that don't show regularly in the top 10 program as the season progresses.
Inconsistency is just part of college basketball, or really basketball at any level. This isn’t football where a well choreographed dance of 11 players is required for any amount of success on any play.

I hear this inconsistent thing a lot from people who only watch Tennessee games. If you watch anyone, even the other teams in the Top 5, you’ll see turnovers, defensive breakdowns and minutes long scoring droughts, even when playing a team with a ranking in the 100s. It just happens….since the intro of the shot clock and 3pt line, the best team has lost fairly often in basketball. The champion in this same time period (last 6 seasons) has averaged 5 losses. The best record was Baylor with 2 losses, both outside the top 10. In football an upset loss means you are most likely eliminated from post season contention, in basketball it’s just a normal weeknight game on the road.

Let’s even look at the 2 games you mentioned…..UNC….the Vols dominated them on their home court for 20 minutes, unfortunately they played so bad to start the game it wasn’t enough.

NC State…..game was played away from home at 10pm……weird things happen in those games. Ole Miss had them at home. It makes a difference.

Ole Miss is a good team. Chris Beard is a great coach. We’ll probably be favored by around 10…but, anything can happen. There will be minutes long scoring droughts by both teams….they both play that level of defense. Ultimately the depth of Tennessee will be too much, and midway through the second you’ll see the lead pushed to 4 possessions. It’ll be over from there. But, it’s basketball….anything can happen.

THIS team we saw last night is nowhere NEAR a top 5 caliber team. Until they can go a complete game without hitting a multiple minute scoring drought, it'll be status quo come March. This team simply isn't shooting as well as needed right now. WIDE OPEN bricks. One after another. Thank goodness for ZZ's good shooting night.
Most pollsters and broadcasters/media that really know and understand the game strongly disagree. The analytics, in general, also disagree.

IDC what other teams do. Teams that will be around at the end of the tourney don't go through scoring droughts like we do. If you don't want to take my word for it... fine. A 4 min scoring drought, against a GOOD team, will equal getting blown out or giving a team you have on the ropes an opportunity for a huge comeback. That's just basketball. Are you saying we don't have unusually long scoring droughts? If so, I don't know what team you're watching.
Show me a single team that has not had a 4min scoring drought in one of there last 2 games. While it’s possible you find something, it’s going to take a lot of digging. 4 min droughts are 100% normal even with good teams playing bad ones. They’re even more common in teams whose pace is in the 60s.

Again, can you provide supporting date?! Thanks!

Teams are inconsistent generally because their offense/shooting is inconsistent, either because players are just off, missing shots, or the opponent
is strong defensively, or a combination of both. That is especially true with 3-point shooting, which is a big part of games. This is why the tourney is unpredictable--one poor shooting game and it's adios. It's also why teams who can get baskets from their bigs when they need it have an advantage, as they have scoring options when the outside shooters are struggling.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

I’ll take 55% from 2, 36% from 3, and 88% from the FT line every time out.

4 minute droughts are overcome when your defense is consistently played at a high level.

4 minutes is deceptive - you need to include the # of possessions.

I'm bored so I went back and looked at the National Championship last year and Uconn was up 36-20 with 3:18 left in the 1st half... didn't score again until 18:59 in the 2nd half. 4 min and 19 second drought. SDSU cut the lead to 10.

9:50 up 56-41 UConn was up 15 points then went on a 2 min and 35 seconds drought and SDSU cut the lead down to 6 points.

The point of this post is; scoring droughts in basketball are like Thanos... they're inevitable.

Purdue, Houston, and UConn all feel like top 5 teams. Maybe Kansas too. After that, there are probably 8 teams including us who are right around the same level. The season is still pretty young. We'll know more in a few weeks.

Basilio and his toadies have been Barnes haters since the day he stepped on campus. It’s mostly because Barnes doesn’t go on his show like Tyndall did.
I know it’s the cool thing here to hate on Basilio, and I don’t care if people like him or not, but my issue is with just being dishonest. This just isn’t true at all. jBasilio has said for weeks this is a final 4 caliber team and that people who hate on Barnes are idiots. He talked about him being here to coast to retirement the first couple of seasons but all he constantly shuts down Barnes critics who call in. He talks about his winning percentage and how the tournament is about chance/luck of the draw. If you don’t listen, you couldn’t possibly know. Heupel doesn’t go on his show and he doesn’t criticize him. Know what you’re talking about.

Also, hey, it’s me, Tony. Thought I’d get ahead of those posts. It’s totally me. This is Tony.

Last edited:
Lol. There aren't 5 teams in the country that meet your criteria.

Which show or shows specifically do you prefer?
There just isn’t any real reason for Knoxville to have 3 or 4 sports talk stations. Fanrun Radio’s owner just sold it so obviously he thinks it’s peaked already. By the time Basilio retires I think it will go back to just the Sports Animal and nothing else. I don’t even think Atlanta has much sports radio as Knoxville and they have 4 pro teams plus UGA and GT, and 6x the metro population. I just don’t see the current landscape being sustainable in such a small market.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Which show or shows specifically do you prefer?
Probably those two dudes on 990 who repeat the same talking points while one constantly mentioned he smokes cigars and covered Iowa for 6 years. They play them at a place my car gets worked on and it’s tough to hear .

Show me a single team that has not had a 4min scoring drought in one of there last 2 games. While it’s possible you find something, it’s going to take a lot of digging. 4 min droughts are 100% normal even with good teams playing bad ones. They’re even more common in teams whose pace is in the 60s.
But "he doesn't care" what other teams are doing. lol
You can't have a discussion with someone that isn't willing to look at the whole forest.

You realize that 4-minute scoring droughts are oftentimes offset by offensive outbursts, right? Does it really matter to you that we don't maintain consistent point:minute ratios? We scored 87 points in 40 minutes. Is it really concerning if we go 4 minutes without scoring if we score 20 points in the next 6 minutes?

VN Store

Back