Tonight's Game vs Creighton: What say you Vol Nation??

What do you think tonight's outcome will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let's forget what the naysayers and point prognosticators in Vegas predict for tonight's Sweet 16 matchup between our beloved Volunteers vs the Creighton Blue Jays. What is YOUR prognostication?

Personally, I think this game comes down to stamina. Creighton has 6 players that play a lot of each game. Our bench is deeper, so if we rotate in fresh bodies, we can really give them fits from beyond the 3 point line, which is their bread and butter. Should be able to pull away late, as the Creighton Creatures will just be worn out.

Your point about stamina is interesting, as the lack thereof has cost us just about every time lo these many years. I’ve watched carefully this year as Barnes has not been afraid of playing more than 7-8 per game. But, when push comes to shove, I can’t help but think he will stick with his trusty seven rather than play “desperate” and have a couple of non-starters in the game for the last two or three minutes. I mean, he just played Z the entire game.

To his credit, he has carefully kept the core 7 relatively rested throughout the season while he gave decent minutes to a few guys. But I just don’t see him changing his coaching character tonight, no matter how desperate we might be to win this game. He’ll play his usual 7-8 and they will fight like heroes until the last play and make a close game of it.

But, given our storied, post-season history of choking against smaller schools nobody can find on a map, my betting mind and money is on Creighton to win this game. Surely hope to heaven I am wrong but that’s my gut feel this afternoon.

Reactions: Volador
Option #1 - I think the Vols offense wakes back up tonight. I think the defense will do a good job of limiting their open shots behind the arc, and If your bigs play well against Kalkbrenner the Vols win.

Option #2 - If none of that happens, my hope is that DK goes wild in the second half, like he is prone to do, and hits a game winner at the buzzer.

I believe the first option will happen, but I’d rather watch option 2. DK is fun to watch when he gets in the zone!

We could certainly lose, but on paper, this is the type of team we have handled this year. I expect a big game from Knecht, better shooting, and for our defense to frustrate them.

Your point about stamina is interesting, as the lack thereof has cost us just about every time lo these many years. I’ve watched carefully this year as Barnes has not been afraid of playing more than 7-8 per game. But, when push comes to shove, I can’t help but think he will stick with his trusty seven rather than play “desperate” and have a couple of non-starters in the game for the last two or three minutes. I mean, he just played Z the entire game.

To his credit, he has carefully kept the core 7 relatively rested throughout the season while he gave decent minutes to a few guys. But I just don’t see him changing his coaching character tonight, no matter how desperate we might be to win this game. He’ll play his usual 7-8 and they will fight like heroes until the last play and make a close game of it.

But, given our storied, post-season history of choking against smaller schools nobody can find on a map, my betting mind and money is on Creighton to win this game. Surely hope to heaven I am wrong but that’s my gut feel this afternoon.
Creighton is a 3 seed and has had success.

Creighton wins and it won't really be that close. UT is in a funk offensively and I'd bet the farm there's a tight whistle that gets some of our key players in early foul trouble. Still consider this to be a solid season considering the roster.
Please come on after TN wins tonight and post this.............
"I'm obviously a clueless idiot who always views things from the worst possible angle. Please never listen to anything I say in the future."

Please come on after TN wins tonight and post this.............
"I'm obviously a clueless idiot who always views things from the worst possible angle. Please never listen to anything I say in the future."
He routinely practices reverse psychology. It took reading his posts a few times to pick up on it. IMO, he is a great forum regular

@CAVPUT

Last edited:
If I'm Barns, I go with being very aggressive in the paint on both ends. They're gonna get their 3s. But, our bench is deeper, and if we can get their big 3 in foul trouble - we got a shot.

Hoping Awaka goes medieval on their 7'1" big man. He's crucial tonight.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Creighton wins and it won't really be that close. UT is in a funk offensively and I'd bet the farm there's a tight whistle that gets some of our key players in early foul trouble. Still consider this to be a solid season considering the roster.
I'm leaning towards Creighton edging it out in a close game because I believe that the match-up will give them problems, but I won't count Tennessee out yet. The game has yet to happen, and this tournament has had a couple of surprises like Alabama and Clemson beating teams that they were supposed to lose to. Anything can happen.

Unless,this is reverse physchology as mentioned then forget my comment lol 😆

Kalkbrenner has been the type of big guy that has given us trouble this year....

If Aidoo and Awaka can neutralize his size advantage, we win....

I think this team is capable of making the final four but we have not been playing our best basketball these last couple weeks. Hopefully we find it again tonight.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
For us to win

1. Aidoo/Awaka can't shrink when playing a physical big. When they do that, we struggle

2. JJJ or Vescovi has to give something on the offensive end. They will get looks tonight but can they do anything with them

I think this will be a blowout one way or the other. A 10+ point win. Hope we are on the good side of it.

VN Store

Back