Tonight's Game Summed Up Season

madbamahater

Really hard to find words to describe this team. Over achieved and won games they shouldn't have, because let's face it, they weren't really elite talent.

Then lost to teams they really had no business losing to.

I've never seen a team play up to competition and down to competition. The one thing they did constantly all year was play up and down to level of their opponents.....

Really hard to find words to describe this team. Over achieved and won games they shouldn't have, because let's face it, they weren't really elite talent.

I've never seen a team play up to competition and down to competition. The one thing they did constantly all year was play up and down to level of their opponents.....

Play down to the competition? FAU is on a 10 game winning streak and had a 20 game winning streak earlier this season. They are a good team. Win Saturday and they are probably a great team.

I have watched so many teams do this over the years, not just Tennessee but many other teams with not so great talent but who play to their competition. I think we really missed ZZ tonight, he inspires a team to do better, it takes that kind of floor leader to win big games.

Play down to the competition? FAU is on a 10 game winning streak and had a 20 game winning streak earlier this season. They are a good team. Win Saturday and they are probably a great team.

FAU is not a good team. They are okay. Kansas St will run them out of the gym. If the Vols wouldn't have stunk it up last night, they probably would've played up for and beaten Kansas St.

Again, up and down up and down.

Reactions: FlVols and VOLED
I have watched so many teams do this over the years, not just Tennessee but many other teams with not so great talent but who play to their competition. I think we really missed ZZ tonight, he inspires a team to do better, it takes that kind of floor leader to win big games.
FAU was wilting in the first half. A couple of opportunistic 3 pointers from ZZ might have finished them.

Last edited:
FAU has won 34 games.
If we're honest with ourselves it was obvious early on Tenn was not going to win the game. The shots were just not falling, we've seen that same scenario more than a few times this season.
It only took FAU making a few shots in the second to know they could pull it off.
I'll continue to hold out hope I'll see a FF in my lifetime...that window is slowly closing.

And that's the truly frustrating part. You've got a senior laden team and a sophomore is your leader/heart/soul. Speaks volumes as to what happened last night.

Reactions: Native Orange
FAU is not a good team. They are okay. Kansas St will run them out of the gym. If the Vols wouldn't have stunk it up last night, they probably would've played up for and beaten Kansas St.

FAU has now won 34 games. Neither the eye test nor the numbers on paper agree with your assessment of them.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
The sky is not falling. Can’t win every game. Grateful for the team to stay in the Top 10 if not Top 5 majority of the year. Some players will move on, new players will come in, and hopefully they can produce something special in the future. As fans…that’s all we can do. This new NIL world in addition to the one and done makes college basketball a circus every year…think that’s leading to the chaos at the top of polls. Heck half the 1 seeds had 7 losses.

FAU has won 34 games.
If we're honest with ourselves it was obvious early on Tenn was not going to win the game. The shots were just not falling, we've seen that same scenario more than a few times this season.
It only took FAU making a few shots in the second to know they could pull it off.
I'll continue to hold out hope I'll see a FF in my lifetime...that window is slowly closing.
Folks saw "FAU" and "9 seed" but ignored the 33...now 34 wins. Duke was young. FAU is a veteran bunch. Exactly the type of team that's been our kryptonite. Kudos to the FAU program. Kansas St might blow their doors off, but FAU has had a helluva run this season.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
The Lofton Day game and the FAU game are two games you have to win. But we scored 56/55 points in them. Defense was stellar as usual. The Lofton Day game is when I realized the team was missing something. No reason to lose to a KY team playing their worst at that time of the season with the Lofton energy in the air. And it led me to expect yesterdays near duplicate performance.

That said, I’m going to do my best to remember the big wins over Kansas, Texas, Bama and Arkansas and Duke. But it will be hard not to think about the other two.

Last edited:
I got alot of hate for criticizing Vescovi....but the fact is he was very poor at clutch...end of game time. Mizzou was example...and last night another. He bricked two massive 3's that could have changed game. Someone pointed out he's 3rd best Vol all time w 3's. Well...when u shoot that many that's gonna happen. His 3pt % wasn't even in top 50 in ncaa this year and he was at his worst w game on the line....when it really matters. Free throws included. I'm just saying.. raise the bar and don't fall in love w marginal players just cuz they're nice guys. It won't get us anywhere. Vescovi is not a "bad" player....but we need more.

The sky is not falling. Can’t win every game. Grateful for the team to stay in the Top 10 if not Top 5 majority of the year. Some players will move on, new players will come in, and hopefully they can produce something special in the future. As fans…that’s all we can do. This new NIL world in addition to the one and done makes college basketball a circus every year…think that’s leading to the chaos at the top of polls. Heck half the 1 seeds had 7 losses.

I think the issue is history too. In over a 100 years of Basketball, Tennessee has 0 Final Fours and 1 Elite 8. Compare that to Butler, a small private school in Indiana with an enrollment of less than 5k or Loyola in Chicago with a National Title and recent Final Four.

No reason an SEC program with one of the biggest arenas and tons of resources shouldn't have more success in March, especially with George Masons, VCUs, or other tiny schools having it.

Great season with so much injury adversity. But, man when the #1 & 2 seeds are cleared for you ... you cannot choke it away yet again!!!

I don’t think you can call it a choke. A choke is when you play uncharacteristically bad in a big moment.

This was exactly what this team was this season. We’ve seen this same performance many times. Complete Jekyl & Hyde.

The losses to Colorado and Vandy were omens.

Really disappointing to see them shrink from the opportunity. It was right there in front of them. But it wasn’t due to lack of effort. We just lacked scoring talent all season and it was made worse when Zig went down. It crashed hard last night.

Quit looking at FAU on the jersey. They are a very good team.

Real world facts and data simply do not support this opinion

They were a 9 seed and the smallest team in the Sweet 16 if not the entire tournament. We only lost because we were terrible.

How does ON score 27 against Duke and then, against a small team that should have given us lots of scoring opportunities, he's a complete no show--doesn't score his first basket until just over 5 minutes left in the game? Absurd--except that he's done this all year: 1 strong game followed by 9 in which he's a minor factor.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I think the issue is history too. In over a 100 years of Basketball, Tennessee has 0 Final Fours and 1 Elite 8. Compare that to Butler, a small private school in Indiana with an enrollment of less than 5k or Loyola in Chicago with a National Title and recent Final Four.

No reason an SEC program with one of the biggest arenas and tons of resources shouldn't have more success in March, especially with George Masons, VCUs, or other tiny schools having it.
Truth!

They were a 9 seed and the smallest team in the Sweet 16 if not the entire tournament. We only lost because we were terrible.

How does ON score 27 against Duke and then, against a small team that should have given us lots of scoring opportunities, he's a complete no show--doesn't score his first basket until just over 5 minutes left in the game? Absurd--except that he's done this all year: 1 strong game followed by 9 in which he's a minor factor.
It's ON. Rhetorical? Same can be said about JJJ btw.

VN Store

Back