Tommy Bowden fired...(merged)

Interim coach Swinney fired the OC.

Larry Williams
Swinney cans Spence

Posted 02:07 p.m., October 13, 2008
Just got it confirmed that interim head coach Dabo Swinney has fired offensive coordinator Rob Spence.
Athletic director Terry Don Phillips gave Swinney the option to retain Spence or let him go. Spence, who was in his fourth season with the Tigers, left the McFadden Building about a half-hour ago.
I'm guessing Swinney will promote a graduate assistant to fill the open spot on the staff, but I'm really not sure right now.
LW

They've made Dabo Swinney the interim head coach. He's a former receiver and asst. coach for the pink elephants in tuscaloosa.

Harper, who was benched after the Tigers' loss to Wake Forest and replaced by highly regarded sophomore Willy Korn, said Bowden needed to be let go.

"They just told us. It's what he deserved," he said. "Dabo Swinney is a fine man and will do an excellent job."

Later Monday, Harper expanded on his comments, explaining that Bowden "tried to motivate us but guys were off the bandwagon. There were things I disagreed with and that my teammates disagreed with. I didn't appreciate it when he would say some off-the-wall things about me to the media. I guess one thing I can say is he gave me an opportunity to come to Clemson and play."

ESPN - Bowden ousted at Clemson; coach 'deserved' to be fired, QB says - College Football

Wrong. Hamilton could fire Fulmer now. As of right now, Fulmer has NOT gone 8-4 this year, so that is not a violation of the contract. There is no clause stating that he can't be fired mid-season for his gross incompetence.
Since you're the lawyer define "gross incompetence" and show me the reference in the contract where it's defined.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason Whitlock is filling in for Rome today. He just said that Clemson or Syracuse will most likely be the job Kiffen will take.

I bet spence is like I wish I was at Tennessee now at least I would still have a job....on the other hand I bet CTT and CPF are not liking what Clemson just did their chairs are on fire right now

"He’s thankful for the experience he got there at Clemson,” Bobby Bowden said. “He has no hard feelings towards them. This is just the nature of this game right now. He’s disappointed but he’s got his priorities in order in his life so he’ll move on and won’t lose a minute of sleep over it. At least I don’t have to worry about him beating me again.”

What a typical "me first" Bobby Bowden. This was part of the story that appeared on the MSNBC site. That last sentence really shows Bowden's stellar compassion. Way to turn your son's firing into it somehow being about you. :shakehead:

Oh that this would get us one step closer to a change at UT! We're one Saturday closer and will be even closer after we play this coming Saturday. I just hope that the guys at Clemson don't steal a "good hire" from UT by pulling the trigger first.

"At least I don’t have to worry about him beating me again." :shakehead:

I am not a BB fan at all, but I think this was a weak attempt at humor.

Don't you wish our administration had the fortitude to stop the runaway train wreck we have in Knoxville?

Clemson finally made a stand and said mediocrity will not be accepted. Sounds like a AD with a pair.

Fat bobby bowden says little tommy will not lose a minute of sleep over his firing? Sure, he collects $4 million from clemson for total failure---I'd sleep good too.

Fat bobby bowden says little tommy will not lose a minute of sleep over his firing? Sure, he collects $4 million from clemson for total failure---I'd sleep good too.

Tommy actually agreed to take a $2.5 million buyout.

He was given an ultimatum after the Wake Forest loss - he was told that if he didn't beat Georgia Tech this week, he'd be fired. Tommy preempted that ultimatum this morning in a meeting with the Clemson AD. They offered to let Bowden finish the season and collect 3.5 million or leave immediately and take 2.5 million.

Bowden took the 2.5 and called it a day.

He could have stayed a few more games and collected another million, and turned it down? He must have some serious coin banked if he walks from $1,000,000!

He could have stayed a few more games and collected another million, and turned it down? He must have some serious coin banked if he walks from $1,000,000!
or avoiding the additional embarrassment might help him find another gig sooner.

I am trying to think of some programs that would be a good fit for Tommy, and that may have an opening, and nothing is really coming to mind. I have heard several people mention that Tubberville would be a good next hfc for Clemson.

I am trying to think of some programs that would be a good fit for Tommy, and that may have an opening, and nothing is really coming to mind. I have heard several people mention that Tubberville would be a good next hfc for Clemson.
I don't mean over the next year or 2. I'm talking about a few years hence.

VN Store

Back