Tom Allen is a name no one mentions

He’s a Freeze protege, doing big things at Indiana. Tennessee is a bigger job. He has experience in the SEC and recruiting the South.

I’m not saying Pruitt will be fired, but if he is, that’s a name to consider.
1. Defensive guy, this is an offensive based league now
2. I think he's too soft to coach here and in this conference

Reactions: IndianapolisVol
Yes. Recruiting classes. Don't. Mean. ****. How many top 10 classes has Clemson pulled during the Dabo years? Gary Patterson at TCU puts together a top 10 overall team every 2-3 years or so and I don't think he's ever had even a top 25 class in the 15+ years he's been there. And TCU churns out multiple NFL draftees on yearly basis too. How about Iowa State under Matt Campbell? Boise State? Hell even KY won 10 games in 2018 with classes ranked outside the top 30 and they've put more drafted players than we have recently.

It's all about how you develop your talent and your in-game coaching ability. Consistent highly ranked classes for sure make it easier. But obviously there are tons of examples of these sorts of teams vastly underperforming. TX, USC, Michigan, Texas A&M, Florida St have all underperformed with elite recruiting classes. Hell even Auburn has failed to consistently put forth championship caliber teams despite elite talent.
Clemson has had a top 25 recruiting class every year Dabo has been there, Dabo has had 7 top 10 classes and the 2021 class will be his 4th in a row. I agree that Gary Patterson has been a stellar coach at TCU, but Phillip Fulmer has sent more guys to the NFL than he has since he took over in 2000. And Fulmer hasn’t coached in 12 years. Also, 3 out of Patterson’s last 5 recruiting classes were ranked in the top 25, so you’re very wrong there. And do you really want to discuss Matt Campbell? The Matt Campbell with a .564 career winning percentage? THAT Matt Campbell? Keep bringing your feelings to the party and I’ll keep bringing statistical facts. NEXT!

Last edited:
1. Yes, he's a defense first guy and in my opinion is why he's not a good fit here.
2. Soft ???... might want to check out some game film and read a few articles. Guy is as tough as they come.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
1. Yes, he's a defense first guy and in my opinion is why he's not a good fit here.
2. Soft ???... might want to check out some game film and read a few articles. Guy is as tough as they come.
He's too soft to coach at Tennessee, Pruitt is actually that perfect fit in the sense he doesn't give 2 sh!ts what people think. The issue with Pruitt is though he's not smart enough to be a head coach

Reactions: IndianaVol
Um thats a hard pass on me. Sure Indiana may be doing good this year but he is barely over .500 so are we going to go another round with a unproven consistant winnner like we did with Butch. I'm not saying he is another Butch but he hasn't proved enough for me.

1. Winning (multiple seasons) at a historically non-football school. When was the last time Indiana was this good? He is not a flash in the pan
2. All CFB is moving offensive. He is still holding his own in a top 3 P5 conference
3. He would not be a re-tread from a fired coach. Malzhan? Does less with more every year at Auburn. Herman? If you can't win at Texas??? Freeze? Beat Saban twice. But that is about it.

And if we had a defense, and the right QB, what would our record be now?

All I am saying is he is solid, and if he lets his coordinators do their job and is not a micromanager, he would win BIG here (if you can win at Indiana....).

Reactions: NighthawkVol
1. Winning (multiple seasons) at a historically non-football school. When was the last time Indiana was this good? He is not a flash in the pan
2. All CFB is moving offensive. He is still holding his own in a top 3 P5 conference
3. He would not be a re-tread from a fired coach. Malzhan? Does less with more every year at Auburn. Herman? If you can't win at Texas??? Freeze? Beat Saban twice. But that is about it.

All I am saying is he is solid, and if he lets his coordinators do their job and is not a micromanager, he would win BIG here (if you can win at Indiana....).

Yep. And while he may have a defensive background, Indiana’s offense is very good. Ask Ohio State. Assuming that a head coach will struggle with offense simply because his background is on the defensive side is wrongheaded. Especially given the evidence to the contrary that Allen has provided at IU. Nick Saban has had the best offense in America for many years. A good football coach is a good football coach.

Allen wouldn’t be my first choice, but I’d support the hire if it were him.

Reactions: willinhf
He is also an Indiana native, loves the state, the school, and his players. He isn't coming here. He'll retire from IU as a legend.

I agree. We have more resources but right now he’s a huge fish in a small pond. He will continue to build IU into a respectable program. Plus, other than Ohio State and Wisconsin he gets a pretty easy schedule each year. No reason to give that up and come into the meat grinder that is the SEC.

I remember how we reacted when we hired a coach from Cincinnati that had been beaten by the coach we just fired.

Pruitt beat Tom Allen in the bowl game.

He's an excellent choice, but are we really prepared to repeat that cycle?

He is also an Indiana native, loves the state, the school, and his players. He isn't coming here. He'll retire from IU as a legend.

I seem to remember a guy named Majors who had orange colored blood. Didn't make much of a difference for him did it??

I remember how we reacted when we hired a coach from Cincinnati that had been beaten by the coach we just fired.

Pruitt beat Tom Allen in the bowl game.

He's an excellent choice, but are we really prepared to repeat that cycle?
Big difference is that Allen built IU and is a proven P5 coach.

Butch followed Kelly's footsteps in a smaller conference and had zero HC experience at a P5 program or experience building a program from the depths of where IU (and UT) was/is.

Sounds like Mark Stoops is the guy!

This is not a smart take. If you're actually from there you should know how hard it is to win at Indiana. Let alone play like they are. They've been ranked in the top 10 more weeks this season that any time in over 50 years. They just went on the road and beat Wisconsin with their back up quarterback because Penix was out. They hadn't won in Madison in 20 years. They broke a 25 game losing streak to Michigan this year. They got their second win vs Penn State since Penn State joined the Big 10 26 years ago. He beat all those teams with inferior talent. Which is how its always going to be at the Indianas of college football.

I really have no idea how our fans think that winning big at historical black holes isn't impressive. Before you start with "RAH RAH SEC!" stuff. The SEC is 7-6 vs the Big Ten the last 3 seasons.
Yes I do live up here and here’s what I’ll say: He beat a Michigan team that’s 2-4 this season. He beat a Penn State team that’s 2-5. And just like Michigan and Penn State, the Wisconsin team he just beat on the road this past week only has 2 wins. Despite being his 3 biggest victories, those 3 teams are a combined 6-11 this year and Indiana’s average margin of victory over those 3 teams is only 8 points. In fact, only 1 team on Indiana’s schedule this season has a winning record and that’s Ohio State. Their opponents are a combined 18-26. Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion but you or anyone else on here is more than welcome to keep replying to my posts and going back and forth. My opinion might not be the same as the majority, but if you’ll notice, I’ve based all of my arguments solely on statistical facts rather than subjective opinions or emotions. I hope that you and anyone else reading this can respect that. But like I said, keep em coming, door’s always open. Go vols.

Yes I do live up here and here’s what I’ll say: He beat a Michigan team that’s 2-4 this season. He beat a Penn State team that’s 2-5. And just like Michigan and Penn State, the Wisconsin team he just beat on the road this past week only has 2 wins. Despite being his 3 biggest victories, those 3 teams are a combined 6-11 this year and Indiana’s average margin of victory over those 3 teams is only 8 points. In fact, only 1 team on Indiana’s schedule this season has a winning record and that’s Ohio State. Their opponents are a combined 18-26. Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion but you or anyone else on here is more than welcome to keep replying to my posts and going back and forth. My opinion might not be the same as the majority, but if you’ll notice, I’ve based all of my arguments solely on statistical facts rather than subjective opinions or emotions. I hope that you and anyone else reading this can respect that. But like I said, keep em coming, door’s always open. Go vols.
This x 100000000

He would be at the top of my Big Board of Coaches but realistically he won't come here with his ties to the midwest. IF he leaves IU he'd only leave for Michigan, Penn State, or Ohio St IMO. He's a heck of a coach though.

My list is still pretty consistent:

1. Matt Campbell
2. Luke Fickell
3. Jamey Chadwell
4. Hugh Freeze
5. Jimmy Lake

I can promise you Tom Allen isn't leaving IU for Tennessee, or probably anywhere. He's literally a god in Bloomington right now. He went to IU and went to HS in New Castle.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
Big difference is that Allen built IU and is a proven P5 coach.

Butch followed Kelly's footsteps in a smaller conference and had zero HC experience at a P5 program or experience building a program from the depths of where IU (and UT) was/is.

Could not agree with this more.

I think we could do much worse than Malzahn, and have also, but it's really more his relative success against Saban that is attractive than anything else. Malzahn is 3-5 against Saban, but also only 2-7 against UGA and 0-1 vs. UF.
All of those records are better than anyone else has done here in 2 decades. I'll take it.

Reactions: UTwild82
Clemson has had a top 25 recruiting class every year Dabo has been there, Dabo has had 7 top 10 classes and the 2021 class will be his 4th in a row. I agree that Gary Patterson has been a stellar coach at TCU, but Phillip Fulmer has sent more guys to the NFL than he has since he took over in 2000. And Fulmer hasn’t coached in 12 years. Also, 3 out of Patterson’s last 5 recruiting classes were ranked in the top 25, so you’re very wrong there. And do you really want to discuss Matt Campbell? The Matt Campbell with a .564 career winning percentage? THAT Matt Campbell? Keep bringing your feelings to the party and I’ll keep bringing statistical facts. NEXT!

Clemson has not had 7 top 10 recruiting classes under Dabo. They've had 5, with 3 of them being in the last 3 years. This means the vast majority of Dabo's success at Clemson has come without him recruiting elite classes. Proof that you don't have to bring in elite recruiting classes to be a highly successful program. NEXT!!!!!

The part about Patterson and Fulmer is irrelevant. Patterson took over a mid-major program. He didn't have a single recruiting class ranked inside the top 50 before 2009 (and was still successful, btw). TN was an upper echelon team for most of Fulmer's 2000s tenure, and despite his shortcomings, he was pretty amazing as identifying and developing talent. And considering TCU consistently has been ranked outside the top 25 in recruiting, I'd say what he has done is pretty damn impressive. He's consistently sent more players to the NFL than TN has since 2009 despite the talent level being considerably different over this span. Again, proof that you don't have to be an elite recruiter to have a highly successful program. NEEXT!!!!!

And yes Iowa State and Matt Campbell. The same team that has beaten nearly TWICE as many top 25 opponents as TN since Campbell took over. And he's done it with extremely mediocre talent rankings in the 46-55 range. He took a program that was a combined 8-27 the 3 years before he arrived, and turned them into one of the better teams in the country. They are currently 8-1, sitting atop the Big 12. And since his 1st season, his record is 31-17. That's a .646 winning percentage. NEEEEXT!!!!

I've already mentioned Mullen. NEXXXXTTT

Chris Petersen at Washington is another great example. 3 straight 10 win seasons and not a single top 15 class. Not a single top 20 class before 2018.

NEXXXXXXTTTTT!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Clemson has not had 7 top 10 recruiting classes under Dabo. They've had 5, with 3 of them being in the last 3 years. This means the vast majority of Dabo's success at Clemson has come without him recruiting elite classes. Proof that you don't have to bring in elite recruiting classes to be a highly successful program. NEXT!!!!!

The part about Patterson and Fulmer is irrelevant. Patterson took over a mid-major program. He didn't have a single recruiting class ranked inside the top 50 before 2009 (and was still successful, btw). TN was an upper echelon team for most of Fulmer's 2000s tenure, and despite his shortcomings, he was pretty amazing as identifying and developing talent. And considering TCU consistently has been ranked outside the top 25 in recruiting, I'd say what he has done is pretty damn impressive. He's consistently sent more players to the NFL than TN has since 2009 despite the talent level being considerably different over this span. Again, proof that you don't have to be an elite recruiter to have a highly successful program. NEEXT!!!!!

And yes Iowa State and Matt Campbell. The same team that has beaten nearly TWICE as many top 25 opponents as TN since Campbell took over. And he's done it with extremely mediocre talent rankings in the 46-55 range. He took a program that was a combined 8-27 the 3 years before he arrived, and turned them into one of the better teams in the country. They are currently 8-1, sitting atop the Big 12. And since his 1st season, his record is 31-17. That's a .646 winning percentage. NEEEEXT!!!!

I've already mentioned Mullen. NEXXXXTTT

Chris Petersen at Washington is another great example. 3 straight 10 win seasons and not a single top 15 class. Not a single top 20 class before 2018.

NEXXXXXXTTTTT!!!!!!!
Sir, calm down. You seem unstable. If you think Tom Allen, who’s 2020 schedule only has 1 football winning team on it (the team they lost to), is our football program’s long-awaited answer then you’re free to think that. This is America, after all. You’re totally free to think that the guy who’s opponents are a combined 18-26 is the guy who’ll turn this program around. You don’t have to keep repeating yourself, I get it. The guy who’s team has outscored a weak group of opposing teams by less than 11 points per game is the guy you want leading our program. You’ve already confirmed multiple times that recruiting “doesn’t mean ****” so I’m sure you’ll be more than thrilled if he gets hired and brings in a few 50th ranked recruiting classes. Good day.

Reactions: IndianaVol

VN Store

Back