Today's OC List According To "Some Media".....

Jim Chaney. Maybe he agreed with Smart (so as to not burn bridges) to wait to leave until after ESD? And we perhaps agreed to wait until after ESD because we think it is worth it to secure the man we want and we seem to be recruiting ok with out an OC?

Well it has been a long time since we hired anybody that actually had a lot of experience in the job they were being hired to do. That means OC, Head Coach, DC. So I am still believing it will be an up and comer. One up and comer just left Helton figure we have three of four more of this type guy lined up. Guess we'll know late December.

You aren't trying very hard to think of other reasons.

An equally obvious reason is that the person Pruitt wishes to hire is still coaching and wishes to finish the season. If that is the case, no announcement keeps the media out of that coach's face while he's trying to finish up at his other school.

That one didn't slip past me, homey. I mentioned "good idea." I personally don't see that as a smart move but then again, coach Pruitt is a different kind of fella.

On a side note, if that were the case, how long could this go on? After bowl season? Seems excessive.

Jim Chaney. Maybe he agreed with Smart (so as to not burn bridges) to wait to leave until after ESD? And we perhaps agreed to wait until after ESD because we think it is worth it to secure the man we want and we seem to be recruiting ok with out an OC?
Why would Chaney leave UGA for us?

Reactions: Orange_Vol1321
OC change isn't going to generate that much media. Pruitt was announced as our head coach on what....Dec 7th last year? Media sure didn't seem to interfere that much with him remaining at Bama for several more weeks.

Not buying the secretive new hire doesn't want it to get out junk.

And, I am not buying the argument that CJP doesn't want the recruits to know it's Will Friend. How does using deception to get a commitment help with the fact that a player is expected to be there 4-5 years and be committed to the program? The old bait and switch doesn't exactly jive with the way the players on the team have described CJP.

5 Reason why we have not announced as yet.

5. Jeremy Pruitt wants to focus on the early signing period first.
4. Power players keep blocking Jeremy Pruitt from his top choice.
3. No quality candidates want to join the Tennessee football staff.
2. Some of the candidates are in the midst of another season and under contract.
1. Vols have their guy but are still negotiating a contract.

......and not really sure about any of these!

Reactions: FïreBall
5 Reason why we have not announced as yet.

5. Jeremy Pruitt wants to focus on the early signing period first.
4. Power players keep blocking Jeremy Pruitt from his top choice.
3. No quality candidates want to join the Tennessee football staff.
2. Some of the candidates are in the midst of another season and under contract.
1. Vols have their guy but are still negotiating a contract.

......and not really sure about any of these!
6. Pruitt will announce when he's ready to announce.

And, I am not buying the argument that CJP doesn't want the recruits to know it's Will Friend. How does using deception to get a commitment help with the fact that a player is expected to be there 4-5 years and be committed to the program? The old bait and switch doesn't exactly jive with the way the players on the team have described CJP.
Which is why I think nobody has actually accepted the job and most info being put out is damage control to cover that.

Reactions: rocytop2624
Why would Chaney leave UGA for us?
1. Smart gave their hotshot recruiter "Co/OC" title to keep him on staff after last season.
2. Smart stripped Chaney of the QB coaching duties and gave them to this hot shot recruiter to keep him.
3. Chaney still calls plays but isn't happy about being a "co-OC and not happy about not coaching the QB's.
4 Money. He makes over $300k less than Helton did.
5. His contract ends in January, and they still haven't worked out a new deal.

Its Jim Chaney.

Which is why I think nobody has actually accepted the job and most info being put out is damage control to cover that.
Wrong. They wouldn't put out a definite that no announcement will come until after ESD if they didn't have their guy because they would want to announce if they found him in the interim.

It is clear that the hire has been made and there is an agreement to wait to announce until after ESD out of respect to where that OC is coming from. We are going along with it because we want that OC.

Some also float the theory that they want to keep Shelton Felton (the recruiter that replaced Helton as its last allowed recruiter) on the road until ESD.
I had to Google to make sure this wasn't a joke. Dr Seuss couldn't have come up with anything better. Shelton Felton replaced Helton

Don't really get this hire. Only been an oc for not even a full season. Do we know if he even has his own offense to run? And seems like an nfl lifer too.

Guy's doing something right if he's having any degree of success with Cleveland's offense lol. I do think he'll end up a permanent OC somewhere after this season. Though I do also agree I don't know that I see him leaving the NFL. He's been in the league for over 10 years now.

My thoughts:
1. 95% done has nothing to do with an announcement. It could have been 100% done last week. Has nothing to do with when it is announced.
2. Having an OC in place and announcing it before ESD is not nearly as important as having a head coach in place before ESD. Not saying that it might help but we seem to be holding our own with the ones we have committed.

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol
Again, how dependable are the "sources" giving this information?
Doug Matthews made it clear that the staff was talking to No One and there were NO leaks. And he "he's not known to lie, he and Fulmer are tight". So, there's that.

1. Smart gave their hotshot recruiter "Co/OC" title to keep him on staff after last season.
2. Smart stripped Chaney of the QB coaching duties and gave them to this hot shot recruiter to keep him.
3. Chaney still calls plays but isn't happy about being a "co-OC and not happy about not coaching the QB's.
4 Money. He makes over $300k less than Helton did.
5. His contract ends in January, and they still haven't worked out a new deal.

Its Jim Chaney.
I been thinking this for awhile

...if that were the case, how long could this go on? After bowl season? Seems excessive.

Possibly. The reality is that the existing coaching staff isn't doing anything football related right now anyway. They are in full blown recruiting mode, so the new OC is only valuable to the extent he could help with recruiting. If he happened to not be a standing NCAA coach, he couldn't help at all until he tested and was cleared by the NCAA. Even if he is a college coach, he would really only be of significant help with the guys he already had relationships with. Having that guy in the office right now just isn't a whole lot of help to the program. Certainly it shouldn't be a higher priority than recruiting.

I suppose I understand why the fan base is so desperate to know, but the reality of it is, it just doesn't matter all that much who they hire. That is, it doesn't matter all that much right now. After the name is announced, the most of VolNation will take a few days to settle to one side of the fence or the other with a few straddling the rail. Everyone will have an opinion about the stupidity or brilliance of the choice. The Negas and Pumpers will have a brand new set of arguments to formulate and defend. But, in reality, the results on the field are all that really matter. We could hire a "google" coach that is successful or hire a household name that fails. Of course, the opposite may also occur. No matter who it is, we just have to wait and see.

Possibly. The reality is that the existing coaching staff isn't doing anything football related right now anyway. They are in full blown recruiting mode, so the new OC is only valuable to the extent he could help with recruiting. If he happened to not be a standing NCAA coach, he couldn't help at all until he tested and was cleared by the NCAA. Even if he is a college coach, he would really only be of significant help with the guys he already had relationships with. Having that guy in the office right now just isn't a whole lot of help to the program. Certainly it shouldn't be a higher priority than recruiting.

I suppose I understand why the fan base is so desperate to know, but the reality of it is, it just doesn't matter all that much who they hire. That is, it doesn't matter all that much right now. After the name is announced, the most of VolNation will take a few days to settle to one side of the fence or the other with a few straddling the rail. Everyone will have an opinion about the stupidity or brilliance of the choice. The Negas and Pumpers will have a brand new set of arguments to formulate and defend. But, in reality, the results on the field are all that really matter. We could hire a "google" coach that is successful or hire a household name that fails. Of course, the opposite may also occur. No matter who it is, we just have to wait and see.

This is probably the best explanation that I've heard. It seems logical and there is a benefit to holding out.

Reactions: BibleHillVol
The only reason I can think that this is a good idea is if we are about to make a "let down" hire. Maybe we can keep some of the early signees before we drop a no namer on them.
Probably, but i'm sure recruits know this. Therefore, we're screwed either way. Isn't it great

VN Store

Back