Today in college football, 10-24-2020

Shades

Shady member

For the TLDR crowd:
Despite our beloved team's condition, college football remains the most exciting and intriguing sport in existence today.

For everyone else:
Maybe more info on "proven" head coaches in another future thread.

Our Vols still look like an undeveloped, badly-coached team. Could go on for quite a bit here, but you all know the deal.

Kentucky can't figure out who they are, with a 20-10 loss to Missouri today.

LSU is currently destroying South Carolina. On cue, a Muschamp team is looking again like... a Muschamp team.

Auburn continues as the luckiest team in CFB.

The Lane Train and Air Raid Leach, although showing a few signs of excitement, are having trouble with launch.

Indiana balls against Penn State with a gutsy OT win, with Vols former QB de-commit Penix.

Nebraska hangs with Ohio State for a while, but ends up getting manhandled in the end. "Proven" coach Scott Frost is currently on an unimpressive trajectory, as Nebraska is still not resurrected.

VA Tech still sucks, with a loss to Wake Forest. So much for Fuente's graduation into the big leagues.

Fla St continues to flounder in a loss to 1-4 Louisville. So much for Norvell's graduation into the big leagues.

Despite the loss to Fla St last week, Mack Brown has done a respectable job at North Carolina, including a strong win over NC State today.

Notre Dame continues to destroy weak teams. In predictable fashion, they will get destroyed by Clemson later this year, or in the playoffs, if they are ever allowed there again.

Les Miles (0-5) continues to collect a free paycheck from Kansas.

Kansas State rolls over Kansas. Former FCS championship coach for ND State Chris Klieman is doing well there so far, much better than Miles at Kansas.

Chip Kelly hasn't coached a game yet this year, but will this "proven" coach flounder for the third year?

Likewise "proven" coach Willie Taggart, who stopped in for one year at Oregon and bombed at Fla St, is 1-1 at Florida Atlantic.

Along those lines, former "proven" coach Charlie Strong is an analyst under Saban's former head coach rehabilitation program.

Oklahoma State remains unbeaten with a narrow win over Iowa St. Will likely fold down the stretch in usual fashion with "proven" head coach Mike Gundy.

Michigan is handling Minnesota, but after 5 years, "proven" head coach Jim Harbaugh continues to wet the bed in big games.

Rutgers gets their first Big10 conference win in 52 years.

Hugh Freeze has Liberty on fire, as an independent FBS team.

Miami is currently barely edging UVA. After beating up on sub-par teams and then getting destroyed by Clemson, Miami is not "back".

Clemson, Ohio State and Alabama continue dominance. They are the only three teams that have all of the following:
1) Good/great coaching
2) Good/great QB
3) Great recruiting, with avg player recruiting score of ~ 91-93 or higher.

UGA: has the recruiting but has questionable coaching quality and a non-elite QB.
Texas: has recruiting, but is missing the other two, even though we all know Tom Herman was a "proven" head coach.
LSU: had all three last year with top-heavy upperclassmen talent. While it still has the recruiting, the lack of Joe Burrow and DC Aranda, and lack of quick development of backfilled talent in other areas is showing.
Notre Dame: Decent recruiting, but can't ever quite put it all together.

And then there's the rest of us with avg player recruiting scores of ~89 or less that put us at a big disadvantage to the big three, as it would take stellar coaching and a baller QB for these teams to have a chance of competing with the big three. Oklahoma came close recently with Mayfield, Murray, and Hurts at QB.

Things that make me feel better (morbid, I know):
Penn State lost to an unranked team.
Texas still sucks despite really good recruiting.
Fla St is a hot mess.
Georgia is going to get curb-stomped again later this year by at least one of: Bama, Clemson or Ohio State.
Texas AM is likely still going to be a perennial 8-4/9-3 team even with a $75 million coach.
Nebraska shares our woes, to some extent.

Last edited:
Has Texas recruiting been that good? Pretty sure they aren’t on the bama, uga, clemson, osu level

No mention of our conference brothers to the south? The Florida Gators?

Did they get sucked into rona/quarantine oblivion?

College football sucks the last few years. The same ol teams every year. It's really hurt the sport.

No mention of our conference brothers to the south? The Florida Gators?

Did they get sucked into rona/quarantine oblivion?

Rona non-action effects, plus an extreme personal dislike that somehow prevents my fingers from typing that name on the screen.

College football sucks the last few years. The same ol teams every year. It's really hurt the sport.

Indiana beating Penn State and LSU crushing a Muschamp team keeps me coming back for more.

For the TLDR crowd:
Despite our beloved team's condition, college football remains the most exciting and intriguing sport in existence today.

For everyone else:
Maybe more info on "proven" head coaches in another future thread.

Our Vols still look like an undeveloped, badly-coached team. Could go on for quite a bit here, but you all know the deal.

Kentucky can't figure out who they are, with a 20-10 loss to Missouri today.

LSU is currently destroying South Carolina. On cue, a Muschamp team is looking again like... a Muschamp team.

Auburn continues as the luckiest team in CFB.

The Lane Train and Air Raid Leach, although showing a few signs of excitement, are having trouble with launch.

Indiana balls against Penn State with a gutsy OT win, with Vols former QB de-commit Penix.

Nebraska hangs with Ohio State for a while, but ends up getting manhandled in the end. "Proven" coach Scott Frost is currently on an unimpressive trajectory, as Nebraska is still not resurrected.

VA Tech still sucks, with a loss to Wake Forest. So much for Fuente's graduation into the big leagues.

Fla St continues to flounder in a loss to 1-4 Louisville. So much for Norvell's graduation into the big leagues.

Despite the loss to Fla St last week, Mack Brown has done a respectable job at North Carolina, including a strong win over NC State today.

Notre Dame continues to destroy weak teams. In predictable fashion, they will get destroyed by Clemson later this year, or in the playoffs, if they are ever allowed there again.

Les Miles (0-5) continues to collect a free paycheck from Kansas.

Kansas State rolls over Kansas. Former FCS championship coach for ND State Chris Klieman is doing well there so far, much better than Miles at Kansas.

Chip Kelly hasn't coached a game yet this year, but will this "proven" coach flounder for the third year?

Likewise "proven" coach Willie Taggart, who stopped in for one year at Oregon and bombed at Fla St, is 1-1 at Florida Atlantic.

Along those lines, former "proven" coach Charlie Strong is an analyst under Saban's former head coach rehabilitation program.

Oklahoma State remains unbeaten with a narrow win over Iowa St. Will likely fold down the stretch in usual fashion with "proven" head coach Mike Gundy.

Michigan is handling Minnesota, but after 5 years, "proven" head coach Jim Harbaugh continues to wet the bed in big games.

Rutgers gets their first Big10 conference win in 52 years.

Hugh Freeze has Liberty on fire, as an independent FBS team.

Miami is currently barely edging UVA. After beating up on sub-par teams and then getting destroyed by Clemson, Miami is not "back".

Clemson, Ohio State and Alabama continue dominance. They are the only three teams that have all of the following:
1) Good/great coaching
2) Good/great QB
3) Great recruiting, with avg player recruiting score of ~ 91-93 or higher.

UGA: has the recruiting but has questionable coaching quality and a non-elite QB.
Texas: has recruiting, but is missing the other two, even though we all know Tom Herman was a "proven" head coach.
LSU: had all three last year with top-heavy upperclassmen talent. While it still has the recruiting, the lack of Joe Burrow and DC Aranda, and lack of quick development of backfilled talent in other areas is showing.
Notre Dame: Decent recruiting, but can't ever quite put it all together.

And then there's the rest of us with avg player recruiting scores of ~89 or less that put us at a big disadvantage to the big three, as it would take stellar coaching and a baller QB for these teams to have a chance of competing with the big three. Oklahoma came close recently with Mayfield, Murray, and Hurts at QB.

Things that make me feel better (morbid, I know):
Penn State lost to an unranked team.
Texas still sucks despite really good recruiting.
Fla St is a hot mess.
Georgia is going to get curb-stomped again later this year by at least one of: Bama, Clemson or Ohio State.
Texas AM is likely still going to be a perennial 8-4/9-3 team even with a $75 million coach.
Nebraska shares our woes, to some extent.
Regarding Ohio State. Fields was a bada** today. May be the best player in College football by a wide margin.

Reactions: Shades
Indiana beating Penn State and LSU crushing a Muschamp team keeps me coming back for more.

I mean Bama Clemson and Ohio State. That trio have dominated forever now with no end in site. And yes I'm aware LSU won it all last year with a once and life time type of team but other than that it's been all those 3 programs since 2009. Only 3 times has another team won a Natty. 3. That's horrible.

I saw quite a few proven winner coaches on there that are struggling and have struggled. Why though? I thought that proven winners win despite everything. When you hire a proven winner, your program is transformed.

I mean Bama Clemson and Ohio State. That trio have dominated forever now with no end in site. And yes I'm aware LSU won it all last year with a once and life time type of team but other than that it's been all those 3 programs since 2009. Only 3 times has another team won a Natty. 3. That's horrible.

What do all 3 of those teams have in common? Recruiting on the utmost elite levels. Thats why the people who say, oh stars dont matter, look dumb.

What’s more horrible to me is that the outrageous coaching salaries and guaranteed buyouts could be causing performance apathy among many coaches nowadays.

I saw quite a few proven winner coaches on there that are struggling and have struggled. Why though? I thought that proven winners win despite everything. When you hire a proven winner, your program is transformed.

Neither Ohio St., Clemson or Alabama has gone through what Tennessee has endured since CPF's firing.

Alabama may be up for considerations due to the records of the previous coaches between Stallings and Saban, but their administration went out and found their guy, made the commitment to get him by any means necessary and that investment paid for itself, multiple times over.

Yeah, understood what you meant, but it is the other action and drama outside the big three that keeps me locked in every weekend.

What’s more horrible to me is that the outrageous coaching salaries and guaranteed buyouts could be causing performance apathy among many coaches nowadays.

True. Where's the actual incentive? There may be additional bonuses for certain accomplishments, but at the end of the day, even if you fail, you're rewarded MILLIONS.

Yeah, forgot to mention that that is another thing that makes me happy: Kirby fumbled the ball on Fields.
Yes, turned out wrong for him. Georgia with Fields would be at Alabama/Clemson level. However when Fields was a freshman and Fromm a sophomore I thought Fromm was better so I may have made the same mistake if I was a HC. At least from where I see it on TV. Lol.

True. Where's the actual incentive? There may be additional bonuses for certain accomplishments, but at the end of the day, even if you fail, you're rewarded MILLIONS.
That is why we may have problems with Pruitt. He as financial security whether he fails or not.

VN Store

Back