Today I learned...

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
In this thread, post something that you learned today.

I’ll start with a technology tip. I consider myself an experienced iOS user, but today I learned that you can close all open tabs in safari by clicking on the open tabs icon, then long pressing on “Done” and selecting “close all tabs.”

6EEC823C-A2E4-4BDA-909B-A51392659753.png

I’ll start with a technology tip. I consider myself an experienced iOS user, but today I learned that you can close all open tabs in safari by clicking on the open tabs icon, then long pressing on “Done” and selecting “close all tabs.”

View attachment 268154

Cool tip. I think i knew that at one time but since there are generally a couple tabs I always plan to go back to I never really used it and forgot about it.

Today I learned that tonic water contains Quinine, which is used to treat Malaria.

View attachment 268160
I knew this from being in India recently.

Also, with anti-malarials being rumored to kill coronavirus, I have upped my gin and tonic consumption. Best consumed with a slice of cucumber, not lime.

I knew this from being in India recently.

Also, with anti-malarials being rumored to kill coronavirus, I have upped my gin and tonic consumption. Best consumed with a slice of cucumber, not lime.
Yeah I ran across it reading something about coronavirus. There’s probably not enough quinine in store brands of tonic these days to do much, but it can’t hurt. May be my new drink of choice in the short term.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I learned that trying to sell your home during a global pandemic is extremely difficult.

I also learned that virtual tours have made realtors even less deserving of their 6% commission. They've cut their work in half but commission stays the same. I might just go to real estate school

Today I learned that tonic water contains Quinine, which is used to treat Malaria.

View attachment 268160
Quinine glows under blacklight. John Taffer, on Bar Rescue, redid a strip club and insisted that many of the drinks have Tonic so that they glow and add to the ambiance as the reopened bar was called Power Strip (great name lol) and was all neon lights and stuff.

We homeschool our kids and the curriculum we use for reading/writing always has interesting things about word origins and reasons english uses the same letter combinations for different sounds.

So this week we looked at the word ‘Love’ and why the O makes the /uh/ sound.

This dates back to a time before the letter U was a thing. V was used interchangeably for the /v/ and /uh/ sounds. Then the U started to come into use and some rules were established about where in words they should appear. One such rule was created because in manuscript the V and U still looked so similar that it was hard to read when they were close together. So the scribes decided that in the case of /uh/ before /v/ would be represented by O instead of U. To make it more clear a silent E was added after the V.

So there ya go.

View attachment 268154
I learned today that that was what I was accidentally doing to make this annoying message pop up. 1585167898433.gif

I think I heard that the gin and tonic was created to tame the taste of tonic water. Brits added gin to make their malaria treatment more tolerable.
Honestly it is only a minor improvement.

But I'll keep having them.

I learned that trying to sell your home during a global pandemic is extremely difficult.

I also learned that virtual tours have made realtors even less deserving of their 6% commission. They've cut their work in half but commission stays the same. I might just go to real estate school

virtual tours, Multiple Listing Service available to all on line with mapping to each location....but they come and unlock the door for you and accompany you to the title co....for 6 or 7 %....what a country....but for some reason people think they have to use them...go figure

Reactions: OG.V83
virtual tours, Multiple Listing Service available to all on line with mapping to each location....but they come and unlock the door for you and accompany you to the title co....for 6 or 7 %....what a country....but for some reason people think they have to use them...go figure

I tried selling my house by owner once. It was a pain in the arse. I think most buyers are hesitant to negotiate directly with the owner. Not all... but most.

Took the house off the market. Year later used an agent and let him handle all the BS. We did negotiate a better commission with him since he was also our buyers agent and the house we bought was one of his listings. So he made plenty of money.

View attachment 268154
Thanks @Freak. Long time iOS user here and always learning new things.

BTW, how can I change my screen name?

VN Store

Back