Today I learned...

Today I learned that quiet quitting is a real term and that anyone is subject to participate at one point or another.

In this thread, post something that you learned today.

I’ll start with a technology tip. I consider myself an experienced iOS user, but today I learned that you can close all open tabs in safari by clicking on the open tabs icon, then long pressing on “Done” and selecting “close all tabs.”

View attachment 268154
You can do the same by long touching the open tabs icon. That saves you a step.

Reactions: Freak
TIL that Ethiopia had a very bloody civil war from 2020 to 2022, that lead to at least 600,000 deaths. making it by far the bloodiest conflict of the 21st century. Typically referred to by the region of Tigray. Their neighbor Eritrea got involved as well.

it was unfortunately missed by most of the world, even Africa, for several reasons. 1. Covid took a lot of headlines. 2. Covid shut down travel/word of mouth/interest in foreign affairs. 3. US/Russian involvement in Syria and Ukraine. 4. The government placing a complete lock down on the area, cutting off all power, so even with modern tech word wasn't getting out. 5. Early on the Ethiopian government lied about it. saying it was just military exercises, then an internal border conflict, and so forth. consistently downplaying it on the global front.

There has been some suggestions that it was a proxy war between Egypt and Ethiopia for overall control of the Nile, with Ethiopia recently completely a major hydroelectric dam which could theoretically cut off a good chunk of the water going into Egypt.

Today, I learned that the package tracking info on the USPS Web site can be inaccurate. A postal service rep was as baffled as I was at the entries. The internal USPS system showed none of the tracking info. It only showed that the package was scanned into the USPS system at the wrong Post Office and was being forwarded to the handling center for routing to my Post Office.

didn't really learn this today, but just an embarrassingly short time ago:

you can hit the "start" button on most microwaves to add 30s to the time. I remember older microwaves came with a separate button for this, but never realized it was just incorporated into the start button now.

definitely felt like I should have known that earlier.

didn't really learn this today, but just an embarrassingly short time ago:

you can hit the "start" button on most microwaves to add 30s to the time. I remember older microwaves came with a separate button for this, but never realized it was just incorporated into the start button now.

definitely felt like I should have known that earlier.
Ms Danl thanks you very much! We just got a new micro she was upset that it did NOT have a +30 second button. She's much happier now.

I learned(and was surprised I never knew this) that the town I grew up in and am in the process of moving back to (Canton,NC) has what's considered the largest Labor Day parade in the south(its huge for such a small town) Learned that from a doctor today here where I live in Tennessee.

I learned(and was surprised I never knew this) that the town I grew up in and am in the process of moving back to (Canton,NC) has what's considered the largest Labor Day parade in the south(its huge for such a small town) Learned that from a doctor today here where I live in Tennessee.
I hate when they make small talk during the rectal exam.

Not today, but last year I (thankfully) learned that digital rectal exams are no longer routinely recommended. PSA test only now.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
Again not today, but not that long ago I learned that we only knew dinosaurs were killed by an Asteroid in the 90s. It wasn't accepted by the scientific community until 1995, and was really only proposed that it was an asteroid in Mexico in the 80s.

crazy that some key piece of knowledge about the history of our world was discovered in my lifetime.

Reactions: VolFaninFla

VN Store

Back