"To timeout or not to timeout"

one of the most notable examples of not calling a timeout was with John Wooden in the 1974 Notre Dame game that snapped their 99 game winning streak heard the story as told by bill walton as you know wooden always was playing not vs the competition but vs themselves and their corresponding potential late in the game UCLA led by 12 70-58 dwight clay hit the baseline jumper to win game 71-70 13-0 run to end the game Walton, who always idolized Wooden, questioned why his coach never called one TO in the last few minutes of the game probably would have helped

CRB's gut now has heartburn. Another 10 pt Florida run in the second half that pretty much sealed the game for them, and no time out. Lost to a mediocre team,.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I’m old school here I think, I say call a time out whenever the other team scores 8 in a row……you have to save one if possible…yes, but you ou have to stop those runs…

Watching the men's game, they are playing miserably, can't hit a shot, making t.o.s, can't guard the 3 and Florida on a 15-0 run. And . . . CRB does not call time out. His hall of fame gut must have told him it wouldn't help. Waits for the media t.o.

It is very early in the game though. Second half he may have called one. But clearly, he tries hard not to.
They made my case

They made my case
It's antecedial, proves nothing.

Except that inexplicably, no matter how good and highly rated, CRB's teams have games where they have no offense at all.

Also, that another Vol fanbase is really, really upset.

And that CRB just HATES the MTO.

His gut and mine do not match. He apparently and verbally has said he likes for his team to play through adversity and figure it out for themselves. I respect his thoughts.
I just absolutely disagree, respectfully of course. I am not the coach he is ... not even close.

His gut and mine do not match. He apparently and verbally has said he likes for his team to play through adversity and figure it out for themselves. I respect his thoughts.
I just absolutely disagree, respectfully of course. I am not the coach he is ... not even close.

as do I
The timeout to interrupt a run is many times proven over the years,,,the play through adversity is still in its infancy

One reason I don't love the MTO is because of the first thing that happens. One team slinks back to bench to irate coach, the other's chest bumping the lowest manager. Clock is stopped, but the momentum? Not a good start. Also, the team doing well is getting a water break. So they celebrate, then rejuvinate. Maybe tweak. Doesn't sound run stopping to me.

That means the guy on the other side who called the time out better have some good adjustments for his team or nothing is going to change for the better. A time out wouldn't have helped Rick last night, unless they granted him an in game shoot around,

OTOH, I do understand, regroup, gather your thoughts, catch your breath, etc. I guess coaches just have to weigh all the varibles.

Last edited:
I hope Kellie spent time thoroughly explaining her timeout philosophy to her players so that when they get in those situations it doesn't ever cross their minds that their coach must be crazy to not realize they need a time out.

I say this because it is likely still considered by the vast majority of coaches at every level of basketball any of them have played on to be the automatic response to a sudden damaging surge by an opponent. Our players have all likely never experienced playing under a coach who does not call time out in those situations, and I would imagine it is kinda jarring to them mentally.

I keep thinking how jarring it is to ME and I'm not even on the court playing, so it has got to cross their minds at some point that something ... seems ... off about this right now.

Just call the damn time out. lol She should ask them their opinions on it and see what they say. I'd be interested to know what they said.

I hope Kellie spent time thoroughly explaining her timeout philosophy to her players so that when they get in those situations it doesn't ever cross their minds that their coach must be crazy to not realize they need a time out.

I say this because it is likely still considered by the vast majority of coaches at every level of basketball any of them have played on to be the automatic response to a sudden damaging surge by an opponent. Our players have all likely never experienced playing under a coach who does not call time out in those situations, and I would imagine it is kinda jarring to them mentally.

I keep thinking how jarring it is to ME and I'm not even on the court playing, so it has got to cross their minds at some point that something ... seems ... off about this right now.

Just call the damn time out. lol She should ask them their opinions on it and see what they say. I'd be interested to know what they said.
I know what their body english says,,,"here we go again"

Oh, and before someone says Kellie is the coach who is getting paid to be in charge so her players’ opinions are irrelevant, they may not remember it but Pat Summitt was known to ask for her players’ opinions occasionally.

Yes, of course the buck stops with the head coach, but sometimes the players out on the court have good insights worth hearing out. And I think a coach who hears her players out can earn a lot of trust that way. If their input and ideas don’t ultimately sway the staff in any way, then at least they still get to feel like they are part of the thinking machine.

VN Store

Back