To those of you not at the game

Not justifying throwing anything onto field or players, but something that I have not seen mentioned is the replay on the jumbotron for Warren's catch on 4th down. What was showed numerous times appeared to be Warren stretching the ball over the line. I hear replays on TV were less convincing, but the fans experienced something different at the game. Given this on top of the "questionable"reversal of the defensive TD in the 1st qtr, and not measuring on a couple key ole miss consecutive 3rd and 4th down conversions, not to mention apparent flopping by players, fans felt getting "jobbed" by officials.
It also being a night game also contributed with inebriated fans. I was very glad my 10 year old daughter didn't have to be around it.
When I saw it live, I thought he extended the ball over the line too. It was after watching replays that I saw where the ball actually was, in his left arm, down by his waist..

Reactions: orangebloodforlife
Ok, but that’s not what his post said. The replay they showed on the Jumbotron made it appear that he had it.

I understand that. What I’m saying and providing are shots that Warren didn’t indeed extend the ball but it his other arm. Not trying to be confrontational

He didn't make the first down marker. It's that simple. Our fan base is crying about that but not concerned about why it was 4th and 27?
4th and 24
I haven't yet seen the play, but Pat Ryan and Bob Kessling were convinced it was a first down and were shocked by the result of the review. Perhaps the replay they saw was the same as what you saw on the jumbotron.
Brent Hubbs said the same thing; maybe they all need to see the eye Doc. It was clearly short, since he did not stretch the ball out.

A whole lot of people who are commenting on this thread completely missed the OP's point. So television clearly showed he was short of the line to gain? Cool (I haven't seen a replay that convinced me, but that's beside the point). But INSIDE THE STADIUM, which is where all the knuckleheads who were responsible for what was to follow were located, there wasn't a single replay on the Jumbotron that indicated he was short of the first down. The Ole Miss fans sitting in front of me had already resigned themselves to the fact that the spot was going to be overturned. No one in the stadium had the advantage of seeing the broadcast replay angles. It doesn't matter how many times you say "he was clearly short." That's not what they saw.

And, so, emotions that had been broiling ever since the sack-fumble touchdown was taken off the board finally bubbled over. Frustrated fans who had watched a night full of incompetent officiating lost their minds because they saw what appeared to be a first down.

Their behavior was inexcusable. It was a black eye to the university and to the football program, and it gives the ignorant national writers like Pat Forde and Pete Thamel yet another opportunity to drag Tennessee fans through the mud. I'd be fine with banning anyone caught throwing objects from Neyland Stadium for at least 5 years.

But you can condemn the reckless and stupid actions of fans, while at the same time acknowledging that it would've never happened if SEC officiating wasn't inept to the point of corruptness and the SEC shows no interest in fixing it. Those are not mutually exclusive takes.

Well 2 holding penalties with a o line consisting of a walk on at tackle, converted guard at center, another veteran kid forced into action who should have been 9th or 10th on depth chart starting season. Play calling was not always awesome but we are not deep in key areas and it shows up.

Also I keep seeing "the ball was at his waist and in his left hand", ... great thanks for clearing that up from the couch or bar. The replay I saw was not as clear and appeared like his right hand went over the line to gain. I also know where the ball is is paramount. I know it's hard to Imagine but honestly the majority of fans there experienced he may have made it. That's all go vols

Reactions: 67Vol
For the record OP, I’m not trying to debate or argue you. I posted them shots as I thought you said you haven’t seen them yet.

I agree with this. The angle being shown on the jumbo tron definitely made it look like a clear first down.
This. And the refs did not cause any of the lobbing of bottles on the field. The decision to throw stuff on the field was made solely by sentient human beings who should know better and have control of their own behavior.

4th and 24

Brent Hubbs said the same thing; maybe they all need to see the eye Doc. It was clearly short, since he did not stretch the ball out.
Or maybe, like the OP said, the angles being shown in the stadium made it look like an easy and clear first down. It wasn’t even debatable based on the angle being shown on jumbotron

Reactions: orangebloodforlife
He reached across the line with his right hand, but the ball was in his left hand. It's a little known fact that no one has ever made a first down in history without the ball...

My thing is when he caught the ball and started running up field he was on his feet and nobody even tackled him so why did he even dive and lunge forward. My point is you never put refs in position to make questionable calls, make the plays on your own and leave no doubt. If you watch the replay you will see what I’m saying, stay on your feet and bulldoze
Exactly. He was headed down on his own. He is the one responsible for not getting the first down. Looked like he isn't a fan of contact either. Tell you what....that Corral is a baller. He made plays. When they needed a big 3rd down conversion, that guy made the play. We have very, very few of those go to types on this team.

Reactions: tennesseepride84
Exactly. He was headed down on his own. He is the one responsible for not getting the first down. Looked like he isn't a fan of contact either. Tell you what....that Corral is a baller. He made plays. When they needed a big 3rd down conversion, that guy made the play. We have very, very few of those go to types on this team.
My point exactly… I know he’s gone now, but Juan Jennings would’ve got that 1st and that’s what’s missing one this team right now

Kiffin was universally mocked by the talking heads when he was in Knoxville. Now, a few still take shots at him when he acts like the child he is, but far more seem to have changed their tune. What’s the difference? I guess being an assistant for Nick Saban washes all one’s sins away. He gets every excuse in the book made for him now.

Our fans throwing garbage was unacceptable. But I don’t think the Ole Miss fake injury antics nor the blown TD reversal would have gotten much attention even if the mini-riot hadn’t happened. There was never going to be any accountability on any level for that stuff.

Accountability for our fans doing what they did? You can bet your butt that will happen, however.

Not justifying throwing anything onto field or players, but something that I have not seen mentioned is the replay on the jumbotron for Warren's catch on 4th down. What was showed numerous times appeared to be Warren stretching the ball over the line. I hear replays on TV were less convincing, but the fans experienced something different at the game. Given this on top of the "questionable"reversal of the defensive TD in the 1st qtr, and not measuring on a couple key ole miss consecutive 3rd and 4th down conversions, not to mention apparent flopping by players, fans felt getting "jobbed" by officials.
It also being a night game also contributed with inebriated fans. I was very glad my 10 year old daughter didn't have to be around it.
Ive texted a couple of my buddies this exact point. I got home and watched the replay Sunday and saw the ball in Warrens belly, we didnt see that view on the Jumbo Tron, it really did look like he stretched the ball over the 40 on views shown inside the stadium.

VN Store

Back