To Protect and to Serve II

This i don't agree with, officer safety should not give them the right to trample on your rights. It's an abuse of power.

Agreed. Not my place to preach. I've made my share of mistakes, but they were honest ones. In 19 years of wearing the badge, I'm a lot older, a lot slower, and hopefully a lot wiser than I was at times. It hurts my heart everytime I read about an LEO who abused, or misused, their authority. They tarnish all of our badges when they tarnish theirs. I take my oath to the public same as I took my oath to God, and to my wife. All are inviolable. I'm not claiming the moral high ground here, but my word is my bond.

That being said, I am reminded of the words of the Chief Deputy at my SO back in 2000. He's gone now, but I still remember some of the lessons he taught me. Among them was this: "You have the power of life or death over everyone you encounter. All you have to do is be able to explain it to a jury of your peers."

Powerful words. In today's world. we (LEO's) have become the enemy to a small, but often vocal and sometimes violent element of society. They don't wear signs to identify them as such, so they always get the first move. And when it comes to a gunfight, the first move is usually the decisive one. It is what it is. I'm more concerned about Sovereign Citizens than I am Al Qaeda.

And with that being said, I have a .40 caliber sidearm, two reloads, a Taser, an ASP, and pepper spray on my duty rig. I have an AR-15 close at hand. I have a Glock .45 as my backup. Because I am a former SRT member, I have enough ammo to fight a small war in my "go-bag", plus hard armor and other neat gadgets in the back of my Tahoe. You get the first move, but if you miss, I would suggest that you have your affairs in order before you confront me with malice aforethought.

In short, "officer safety" is never really a factor with me, nor is it a reason...as if one exists...for me to "trample on your rights". 99% of the people I encounter...be it a traffic stop, service call, 911 call, or whatever....are completely compliant. Those who are not are still given every benefit of the doubt, even if it ends in a custodial arrest. I have nothing to prove. Serve and Protect. That's my mantra, and a central element in the oath I took.

I'm not running for Governor, or Best Guy on VN. I am who I am. I've made my mistakes, and I'm certain that more lie ahead of me. But I make an effort on every shift I work to make a difference, and not count my tickets or arrests. I try to go home at the end of every shift knowing I have honored my oath. In truth, it doesn't always work out that way, but I always try.

There are many others out there just like me, but you never read about them because they don't make the news. Having had my ass beat a couple of times while trying to make an arrest, I can assure you that my ego never gets in the way of me trying to do the right thing anymore. Push come to shove, I'll take the fight, but if you want a fair shake from a cop, I'm probably a good choice.

Don't let the bad apples turn you against the good fruit.

Go Vols.

You're a good man and I have read Nurse post about cops enough to know she feels the same way that I do : some cops are crap. But that is a small % of them and some are great guys and we would all be better off for knowing them. In my personal experience, the older an officer the cooler and better they are. I think young and stupid wears out its welcome on the force pretty quickly, so by about 30yo or so the overwhelming majority are just good guys trying to do what's right. I have been shown mercy and help when I didnt deserve it by an LEO, and been greatly mistreated and maligned, but I believe the vast majority are good guys and I have raised my children to respect them.

Thanks for what you do
If most people would stop and think about the sorry SOBs most cops have to deal with everyday, they would have more respect for those who have to clean up some serious garbage off the streets. In particular, anything related to the mistreatment of children. I have posted on here for everyone to look in their local sherrifs database for the child molesters. Be amazed at how many live within a couple mile radius of your house. Buy it cheap and stack it deep. Guys like you take guys like that out of society..Good job

Same deputy...
Yes and he and the other idiot is this latest one are accused of cavity searching a guy on the side of the road for weed. I don’t understand how people like this are passing the psych exams. If Joe Q Citizen held minors against their will and sexually assaulted them they’d be under the jail.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Yes and he and the other idiot is this latest one are accused of cavity searching a guy on the side of the road for weed. I don’t understand how people like this are passing the psych exams. If Joe Q Citizen held minors against their will and sexually assaulted them they’d be under the jail.
This is allowed to go on because we allow this fake ass war on reefer/drugs to continue. May was well throw in war on terror, also. This gives these cops the ability to circumvent your rights and dignity in order to get some grass off the streets.

I had a run in with the Interstate rest area police today in Chattanooga as I was driving through. Apparently I wasn't allowed to let my dog get within a thousand feet of any building on the property before I was given a verbal warning and when I ignored that I was chased down and threatened by a Gomer/Goober type wearing an "official" looking "police" uniform. He was on a power trip as he was given the authoritie to enforce the rest area rules. He's the type that graduates to the little side of the road hick town speed traps.

The "hero" would have been better off just killing the guy instead of subduing him. That way, there would have been no need for him to have to hold him down on the neck.

Oh, and since when is going above and beyond state of an immediate threat a bad thing? Cops over do it all the time where they have numbers and a person on the ground and they still are allowed to kick and punch the guy or let the K-9 unit chew the hell out of the guy.

Cops have one set of rules. Civilians have another.

I think I’d have gone to jail here too.... I’d have said enough to get the cop pissed off for sure. That school administrator acted like a gutless poon.... cop did too.... but the admin should have stepped up and said knock that sh** off right now.

VN Store

Back