To all the Milton haters or even those concerned

JP, I get what you're saying and I understand and maybe I'm missing something but CJH isn't the end all be all of quarterback guru's. I hate to say this but it seems you are sold on the kid and I'm not. I hope I'm wrong for the sake of the season but as mentioned I've played against some very good quarterbacks in college and when I watch a game I think as a DB and Milton just doesn't have it. Let me ask you this JP. If he was all world and the best thing since sliced bread why did he transfer? Because he wasn't going to play same for Hooker at VT, so we take a kid CJH recruited at UCF and give him the starting nod at UT? I don't think there ever was a QB competition for the job. Just like there was only one coach White wanted to coach at UT.

I enjoy your posts and your one of the best posters on this board but we differ on this issue. Competent and good QB's don't transfer unless they aren't played and there was a reason he wasn't played. We saw on Thursday night and will see so again Saturday at noon and I hope I'm wrong but my faith level of this kid leading us here on out is nill as of now. No disrespect because I value your opinion but we differ here. As coach Fulmer said watch the tape..... the proof is in the pudding sir. I don't hate the Kid at all just think he's not our best option.
List starts with Joe Burrow.

Not hating…..I have my eyes open!
Don’t compare statistics.
No touch.
Accuracy issues down the field.
Slow to make decisions and hangs on to the ball to long.
Same issues he had a Michigan.
….and this was against BG.
D coordinators from the SEC will load the box to stop the run and defend the screen plays and see if this QB can beat them down the field.

Yep! That's the same game plan DC's had for JG, just sayin'...

He’s started five games. And two of those were after the thumb injury, which might have had an impact.

I personally think it’s difficult for a quarterback to be successful in a new system without a spring AND fall practice under their belt. JMO.

He left Michigan for a reason. He wasn't the best option for the program so what makes him the best option here? CJH didn't even watch the spring game if he did he knew who should be running the Offense but when Milton transferred here he had his QB. He recruited the kid, he'd look silly not playing him. Call me cynical but at this point I'm not sold on Milton and CJH. I hope I'm proven wrong but not so sure as of now.

after only one game. Here’s some statistics for you to consider:

Tee Martin’s first start versus Syracuse in 1998

9/26 for 143 yards

Peyton Manning’s first start versus Washington State

7-14 for 79 yards.

At 1:29:05 in the video below, you can see Manning overthrow a deep pass, which is the same sin you are already giving up on Joe Milton III over.

I say all this not to suggest that Milton is the next Tee Martin or Peyton Manning but instead merely to suggest that the overreaction to a couple of overthrows by some in our fan base is a bit premature.

He's not going to change. That's like saying JG will change.

This doesn't hold up. Everyone is basing this off what BG did a year ago. I have watched as many college football games as I possibly could over the last 4 days. In week 1, BG was a far cry from the worst looking football team that I saw. I don't know how their season will turn out (they are likely a 2-3 win team) , but I would confidently say that they will beat Akron. We have a lot of things to clean up before Saturday, but the same could be said for about 100 FBS teams after week 1. We also ran less than 10 different plays out of our playbook. Week 1 is just that. There will be major overreaction (good and bad) for a ton of teams after this week. The biggest progression is usually from week 1 to week 2 for most teams. We may be the worst fan base for overreaction in the country though. We will have our growing pains. Enjoy the win. Millions of fans can't do that this week. Many of whom's teams were ranked last week.
Stop being so reasonable!

Yep, you make some great points here. BG from last year is not the same as this year. Every team makes some changes. So many are trying to put down our QB and team based on the fact that BG had a miserable season last year. Guess what? Every team gets to start fresh in 2021.

GS showed us how you cannot take any team for granted. So many on this forum are just looking for ways to bash our QB1. Looking over the landscape, colleges with winning traditions lost on Saturday and some got all they could handle.

We won. Execution wasn't flawless, but we came out a winner.

Reactions: bigl3327
after only one game. Here’s some statistics for you to consider:

Tee Martin’s first start versus Syracuse in 1998

9/26 for 143 yards

Peyton Manning’s first start versus Washington State

7-14 for 79 yards.

At 1:29:05 in the video below, you can see Manning overthrow a deep pass, which is the same sin you are already giving up on Joe Milton III over.

I say all this not to suggest that Milton is the next Tee Martin or Peyton Manning but instead merely to suggest that the overreaction to a couple of overthrows by some in our fan base is a bit premature.

Are you assuming that Milton's detractors want the best performing QB to play?

Reactions: Raebo
He left Michigan for a reason. He wasn't the best option for the program so what makes him the best option here? CJH didn't even watch the spring game if he did he knew who should be running the Offense but when Milton transferred here he had his QB. He recruited the kid, he'd look silly not playing him. Call me cynical but at this point I'm not sold on Milton and CJH. I hope I'm proven wrong but not so sure as of now.

But, but, but he can toss the ball 80 yards. I don’t think the Milton experiment will last much longer. A QB has to have more than an 80 yard arm. Being in very close proximity of the target at 80 yards would be nice too but…… so far the Michigan fans have been correct.

But, but, but he can toss the ball 80 yards. I don’t think the Milton experiment will last much longer. A QB has to have more than an 80 yard arm. Being in very close proximity of the target at 80 yards would be nice too but…… so far the Michigan fans have been correct.
Joe Burrow left Ohio St for a reason, Kyler Murray left Texas A&M for a reason, Justin Fields left UGA for a reason, Jalen Hurts left BAMA for a reason, Baker Mayfield left TTU for a reason....... and they all had critics from some part of the fanbases from which they left.

Last edited:
Here's the simple math for the Joe Milton haters:

(a) Josh Heupel probably knows QBs, and how to pick the best of the options available, only like 10,000 times better than you (or me).
(b) Since he does, his pick is undoubtedly our beloved Vols' best chance at success.
(c) That doesn't imply Joe Milton is flawless. It doesn't imply he is Peytonesque. It only says he's our best shot.
(d) He's a college player wearing orange and white. We should support all players who wear orange and white. Even if we feel the need to criticize elements of their game, we still ought to be supporting them as OUR lads.
(e) Because we're all Vols fans. Right? Right? (I know you trolls are being really quiet about that one, shame on you).
(f) So we all want to win, Josh Heupel and all our players included, and Joe Milton gives us the best shot at that, based on the expert judgment of a national-title winning QB and now head coach.
(g) So no matter what happens next, we can only go into it hoping for the best, and supporting our lads.

It is no more complicated than that.

Do you have the right to bitch and moan and whine? Sure. You have the right. You look really stupid and childish doing it, given all the above, but you have the right.

Are you gonna get credit for having "called it" if we lose? No. Everyone is still gonna think you're a miserable sack of goat excrement, just for being negative about our lads.

So the logical approach, the most viable approach, is to support our coaching staff, support our lads (all of them), and hope for the best.

Try that.

Go Vols!
Who knows? One thing is for sure though...

"we're all gonna find out at the same time". ~butchna

They all left cause they were either behind a good college qb or they were beat out by one. Hurts/Tua, Burrow was behind Haskins, Fields was behind Fromm. Which even with a loaded OSU team couldn't win. Some say he should have been UGA's qb.. Fromm did the job and they had a shot. Kinda completely different situations. Milton had no one infront of him. The kid that is the starter is a better passer. Ps he might be 200 lbs and definitely cant throw it as far as Milton. It is what it is. He is a better qb, not athlete.

Joe Burrow left Ohio St for a reason, Kyler Murray left Texas A&M for a reason, Justin Fields left UGA for a reason, Jalen Hurts left BAMA for a reason, Baker Mayfield left TTU for a reason....... and they all had critics from some part of the the fanbases from which they left.

I wouldn’t lump Milton in with that bunch. He has a LONG LONG ways to go to be mentioned in the same breath as those guys. We’ll see. Heupel thinks he’s the guy and I’ll hope that he is until it’s obvious he ain’t but so far…….he’s produced like a guy that can boot the ball 80 yards but can’t get close to the goal post. And his running……built like Tarzan but runs like Jane.

lmao at the notion CJH didn’t watch the spring game…like really?! That’s what you think?!

and who do you think gives the Vols a better chance to win at QB right now on the roster?

CJH is going to be an extremely refreshing change at head coach for the vols. Vols haven’t had a coach that actually thinks and creates since Kiffins one year at Tennessee.

instead, you were probably stoked during the butch Jones years because, “look at all these stars!” In recruiting. Problem is, butch Jones couldn’t coach a pee wee team up. If CJH recruits anywhere near that level, which it’s Tennessee…I think he will in time, then Tennessee will get back in the SEC title game again one day with him at head coach

Manning’s and Martin’s performances were underwhelming as well and were worthy of criticism, which I’m sure was given. I know OP is saying there is hope for Milton, and he may improve, but that doesn’t mean he can’t be criticized. Weak argument, and doesn’t justify a crappie performance or refute the ire from fans.
Martin was playing a Syracuse team on the road that won the Big East. Manning was not even expected to play until Colquitt went down with season ending injury. Apples and oranges.

I really like this board. I think it’s funny how someone thinks they have a really good point, then that point gets blown up by a one sentence post and just flames from there 😂
The only entertaining quality this forum has anymore is seeing the guys that think they have it all figured out get so tore up and their panties all twisted over posts like JP's. Lol, they can't stand it. "This ain't the army mother ****** you can't tell me what to do".

Yes he can and you have several options. I see you chose option #2. Get pissed off, cuss and do what you want while everyone laughs at you thinking op actually thought you'd do what he said.

lmao at the notion CJH didn’t watch the spring game…like really?! That’s what you think?!

and who do you think gives the Vols a better chance to win at QB right now on the roster?

CJH is going to be an extremely refreshing change at head coach for the vols. Vols haven’t had a coach that actually thinks and creates since Kiffins one year at Tennessee.

instead, you were probably stoked during the butch Jones years because, “look at all these stars!” In recruiting. Problem is, butch Jones couldn’t coach a pee wee team up. If CJH recruits anywhere near that level, which it’s Tennessee…I think he will in time, then Tennessee will get back in the SEC title game again one day with him at head coach
Hooker, with his ability to run gives them a better chance.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I don’t think miltons running ability is what he’s lacking. Hooker doesn’t upgrade the running ability from the QB spot that much over Milton
😳 have you watch his film ? 🤣🤣🤣🤣 yes Hooker is much more mobile than Milton. There is no way in hell Milton runs the 4.5 like is listed. Watch Hooker's film, he is much more electric running the ball

I don’t think miltons running ability is what he’s lacking. Hooker doesn’t upgrade the running ability from the QB spot that much over Milton
He isn’t a runner. I’d say Hooker brings quite a bit as a runner over Milton and the stats support it. Hooker has over 1000 yards rushing in college already. He’s the most experienced QB and the most tailored to this offense.

😳 have you watch his film ? 🤣🤣🤣🤣 yes Hooker is much more mobile than Milton. There is no way in hell Milton runs the 4.5 like is listed. Watch Hooker's film, he is much more electric running the ball

go re read my post…I said he upgrades it, but not that much. Miltons ability to run the ball isn’t the issue. So unless hooker is a vastly better deep ball thrower, then he isn’t going to change the ability of this offense much. That’s the point

also, hooker runs a 4.67 forty
milton runs a 4.8 forty

so like I said, hooker doesn’t upgrade the running ability THAT much

He isn’t a runner. I’d say Hooker brings quite a bit as a runner over Milton and the stats support it. Hooker has over 1000 yards rushing in college already. He’s the most experienced QB and the most tailored to this offense.

hooker averages 4.2 yards per carry. Let’s not make him out to be Johnny Manziel or anything

hooker averages 4.2 yards per carry. Let’s not make him out to be Johnny Manziel or anything
Not to be rude, but Do you understand football stats? Considering a QB gets penalized with all sack stats as negative rushing yards, and considering his number of attempts is well over 200, we have a very good sample size. Josh Dobbs, the greatest rushing QB in Ut history averaged 4.9.

VN Store

Back