‘23 TN WR Nathan Spillman (Tennessee)

I won't presume to speak for the staff but in some ways they seem to be a bit more strategic than past staffs. Some of these in state relationships have wide impact. This may be one of them.

But concerning production and recruiting bona fides... It was presumed that Elijah Herring was recruited just to get his brother. But he got some PT and looked good. Comparatively Harrison had a pretty poor offer list and was rated a lower 3*. He worked his way onto the field. Only UT and Arkansas offered Nimrod and Arkansas didn't seem very serious. He reportedly moved ahead of others and looked good for a Fr.

The kind of recruiter that UT needs to pull the program all the way up is going to find talented guys who don't necessarily "shine" as HS players. Maybe the coaches are trying to figure out the diplomacy here... or the cost/benefit analysis. Or maybe they think he's a raw talent with potential to excel past the more polished guys.

The one thing I can say is that this kid looks fast in his highlights. And as you and others have often pointed out, speed isn't something you can teach.

The notion that most folks presumed Elijah Herring was recruited to get his brother is somewhat revisionistic. Herring wasn't the prospect Caleb is, but he was still a very good one. Most of us were pretty excited about him when he signed, based on the way he played in high school. And he was a top 25 recruit in the state, according to 247 (Spillman isn't top 50). He produced in high school, Spillman not so much. Herring's offer list was much more impressive than Spillman's, as well.

If Spillman ends up signing with Tennessee, I trust this staff knows what they're doing (especially with WRs) and has a plan for him, but I don't think the comp to Elijah Herring's situation is accurate. Maybe it truly is a case of seeing raw speed and believing that the things he lacks are things they can teach/develop, as you suggest when you say, "maybe they think he's a raw talent with potential to excel past the more polished guys."

Reactions: volsfan_17
Jauan Jennings didn't catch any.............;)

I was standing on the sidelines during his senior year when Blackman played Oakland and it was about 130 degrees. Jennings played QB and I remember telling folks on the message boards after the game that he would be a Safety or WR at Tennessee and some said I was crazy.

I was standing on the sidelines during his senior year when Blackman played Oakland and it was about 130 degrees. Jennings played QB and I remember telling folks on the message boards after the game that he would be a Safety or WR at Tennessee and some said I was crazy.
wisdom-wisdomous.gif

The notion that most folks presumed Elijah Herring was recruited to get his brother is somewhat revisionistic. Herring wasn't the prospect Caleb is, but he was still a very good one. Most of us were pretty excited about him when he signed, based on the way he played in high school. And he was a top 25 recruit in the state, according to 247 (Spillman isn't top 50). He produced in high school, Spillman not so much. Herring's offer list was much more impressive than Spillman's, as well.

If Spillman ends up signing with Tennessee, I trust this staff knows what they're doing (especially with WRs) and has a plan for him, but I don't think the comp to Elijah Herring's situation is accurate. Maybe it truly is a case of seeing raw speed and believing that the things he lacks are things they can teach/develop, as you suggest when you say, "maybe they think he's a raw talent with potential to excel past the more polished guys."
I'm just remembering my perceptions of the conversations and "noise" around his recruitment.

What sticks in my memory is the assertion that he would have been a G-5 player if not for his brother.

I wasn't really trying to make identical comparisons... just similar types of things.

Spillman does seem to be the odd duck here. But if you get his brother and run a pipeline into that school and other good TN programs then getting a good ST's player might be worth the investment.

This kid will be a special teamer/practice squad guy (which a team always needs) and he’ll bring his blue chip brother with him…I think that’s a pretty fair deal IMO

This might be his staff calculated floor with potential for a much higher ceiling with weight room and speed training. Don't think we are just taking throw-in guys on our 85.

I think I saw that game on Friday Night Rivals and remember thinking that if Blackman had a decent qb they might have won...Then look what happened. LOL

This player reminds me of a WR from Serra HS in CA Marquise Lee. He was outshined by George Farmer 5 star WR USC West bust and 5 star Robert Woods WR Rams/Bills/Titans/USC W. Marquise Lee was skinny and third option but when he was a true freshman wr at USC... he was all world and a super impact player. I think he was one of the better wide receivers I saw at USC in a long time. He got hurt all the time in the NFL right away and not sure where he is at now. But if he has the measurables and athleticism... the ceiling can be really high for guys like this and if Heupel is good with it... I'm good with it!

This player reminds me of a WR from Serra HS in CA Marquise Lee. He was outshined by George Farmer 5 star WR USC West bust and 5 star Robert Woods WR Rams/Bills/Titans/USC W. Marquise Lee was skinny and third option but when he was a true freshman wr at USC... he was all world and a super impact player. I think he was one of the better wide receivers I saw at USC in a long time. He got hurt all the time in the NFL right away and not sure where he is at now. But if he has the measurables and athleticism... the ceiling can be really high for guys like this and if Heupel is good with it... I'm good with it!
Marquise Lee was a high 4* prospect and ranked 59 in the composite. Although he was ranked lower than USC wide receivers, but he appropriately rated by services.

This game was played on a Sunday at Noon. It was really 🔥. Juan was best player in State even though Jacoby Steven's from Oakland was borderline 5 Star. Super Athletic Player. In CHRIST Alone

Reactions: Smokey19rt

VN Store

Back