TN UGA night game on ESPN

so, they hate the SEC but they always show an SEC game every week? i fail to see that logic.

so, they hate the SEC but they always show an SEC game every week? i fail to see that logic.

Your comment does not necessarily make it illogical either. Not that I am supporting the matter, just stating an idea.

I think what's important to note with ESPN and the SEC is that the SEC is a reliable market with little competition for the football dollar (i.e. other forms of entertainment). California, and the northeast however are not.

They are about money, it is a business. I am not claiming they have hatred for the SEC by any means. But you have to understand that people at ABC are not as interested in seeing an SEC team with a NC as they are a Big Ten team for example. When you can run your tv commercials for the "Saturday Night Football" game, it helps if you can say you are showing the defending NC on your channel. Not going to happen, but if the SEC won the NC for ten years in a row for example, this would dampen the amount they could charge for ads on the ABC Saturday Night Game.

It seems to be based on rankings to me. If GA and UT are both ranked in the top 10 or top 5 then of course they are going to be showcased to a larger audience. As of now, I think GA is like 9 and UT is 15.

Oh, thank you for straightening me out, Old Gold and Blue.
IM[humble]O it's not a loathing of the SEC as much as it is a blind devotion to ESPN's darling teams of the year. They love USC; this year they love Ohio State. This will be their 3rd week taking Gameday to an OSU game. When they had the choice of LSU/Auburn or Tenn/Fla they go to USC/Nebraska. Good choice. I'm not objective on the matter, I admit. But through the lense of objectivity would require about anyone to say that USC/Nebraska should have been their 3rd choice, at best, that week.

this thread...jeez.

ESPN doesn't hate the SEC. it's not biased because of perceptions of the South.

it's business. the SEC has TV contracts with CBS and ESPN. CBS gets 1st choice, so they are picking the top 10 match up of LSU/UF. ESPN gets 2nd choice for thier primetime telecast. so they chose the top 15 match up of UGA/TN.

as for Game day, i think it's pretty well known that ABC has contracts with the Big 10, Pac 10, Big 12, ACC and Big Eeast. it is also well known that ABC owns ESPN....so why on earth would you expect a company to knowingly promote a game on another network when you are competing for sponsorships and advertising revenue?

game day no longer goes to the biggest game of the week. It goes to the biggest game of the week that ABC has on TV. and the reason is simple. Promotion.

it's capitalism folks. Nothing more. and it's not completely out of the rhelm of possiblities for Gameday to show up at an SEC site to promote ESPN's primetime night game. That, though, will depend on what ABC will be airing that day.

Games that could be the case:
UGA/UF
AUB/UGA
TN/LSU
AUB/Bama
UF/USC
UF/AUB

Just wondering, if somehow in a season in ended with an Iron Bowl featuring #1 Auburn at #2 Alabama, and CBS took that, do you guys think Gameday would go there, if say the best game of the rest was like a #10 vs #15 game?

Just wondering, if somehow in a season in ended with an Iron Bowl featuring #1 Auburn at #2 Alabama, and CBS took that, do you guys think Gameday would go there, if say the best game of the rest was like a #10 vs #15 game?
1st, CBS would take that. 2nd, i think Game day would be there.

they'd be there for any 1 vs. 2, and if it were Bama Vs. Aub, as storied as that game has been...they couln't ignore it.

So I guess that makes it official that the CBS game will be LSU/Florida that day.

Florida should have a stretch of 5 out 7 CBS/SEC games. :wacko:

Well deserved as well, they're the best games on paper those weeks.

So I guess that makes it official that the CBS game will be LSU/Florida that day.

Florida should have a stretch of 5 out 7 CBS/SEC games. :wacko:

Well deserved as well, they're the best games on paper those weeks.
Just judging the schedule from here on out...here's how i see the TV playing out:
10-14: UF/AUB CBS, 3.30EST, don't know if there will be a primetime SEC game on ESPN...no other real big games. maybe OleMiss/Bama?
10-21: TN/Bama CBS 3.30 EST, maybe UGA/MSU or LSU/Fresno ST on ESPN?
10-28: UF/UGA CBS 3.30 EST, TN/USC ESPN primetime or ESPN2 primetime.
11-4: TN/LSU CBS 3.30 EST, not sure about primetime no other real big games.
11-11: this one is tricky...there are 4 games on here that could all be on national TV...Aub/UGA, USC/UF, TN/ARK, BAma/LSU....this could be a double header on CBS...but not sure what the other game would be...i'm sure AUB/UGA will be on CBS though. TN/ARK likely on ESPN2.
11-18: BAma/AUB 3.30 CBS, TN/Vandy likely on JP/Lincoln...
11-25: TN/KY likely on JP/Lincoln...FSU/UF could be ABC/ESPN, LSU/ARK likely CBS game,GA/GATECH likely ESPN/ESPN2 game, CELMSON/USC ABC/ESPN all on this weekend...

The November 11th schedule does look a bit hectic. The UT/Ark and SC/UF games are borderline LFS material I'd say... along with UA/LSU. I dunno how they'll work that. I'm like you, I think one will be on CBS, LFS, and an ESPN channel. I'd think one would get left out...

i dunno, the spurrier back in Gainesville story will be a draw for a lot of folks...i could see that being on ESPN primetime...

Ala/LSU will be a big game and could be a CBS primetime game...and UT/ARK have a history of playing really close entertaining games...a lot will depend on how each team does the rest of the way obviously...but i would expect all 4 games to be on TV one way or another.

True about the Spurrier angle... it probably won't matter what SC's record is at the time.

VN Store

Back