'25 TN TE Eli Owens (Michigan commit)

? Heupel's best TE year at Tennessee was one with 222 receiving yards so far
I thought Fant was a really bad player up until this year.

The offense didn't get a ton of production from Tight Ends, but it got meaningful production from Tight Ends. They made some of the biggest plays of the year for us. Some of the most important plays of the year came from TEs, like their play in the Florida game and the shovel pass to Fant vs Bama and just how he was used in the red zone in general. He's a big part of why we were so good at turning RedZone trips into TDs.

The offense didn't get a ton of production from Tight Ends, but it got meaningful production from Tight Ends. They made some of the biggest plays of the year for us. Some of the most important plays of the year came from TEs, like their play in the Florida game and the shovel pass to Fant vs Bama and just how he was used in the red zone in general. He's a big part of why we were so good at turning RedZone trips into TDs.
I agree but the original poster was claiming we were Tight End U now. My point was that we still have to get more production to pass Georgia, Iowa, ND, Stanford, etc

I agree but the original poster was claiming we were Tight End U now. My point was that we still have to get more production to pass Georgia, Iowa, ND, Stanford, etc
Yeah I mean the truth is we have struck out on TE for that last 3 or 4 years. That's why we are currently trying to address it in the portal. Ethan Davis is a good prospect, but missed his senior year. Then we have some traction with good recruits, but we have a ways to go until we have even have our TE room in a comfortable spot.

Yeah I mean the truth is we have struck out on TE for that last 3 or 4 years. That's why we are currently trying to address it in the portal. Ethan Davis is a good prospect, but missed his senior year. Then we have some traction with good recruits, but we have a ways to go until we have a healthy TE room.
The TE room will get there. I fully trust this staff's ability to evaluate and develop. Now they will be bringing in some high-end talent at the position. It's not the staff's fault we haven't huge production at the position

Reactions: volfaninpa
I didn't think anyone said that but we can agree TE recruiting is headed in the right direction, and yes I still think our staff knows how to develop talent, at least on the offensive side.

Redzone trips and our success in the run game.

Our TEs do a lot in this offense

Redzone trips and our success in the run game.

Our TEs do a lot in this offense
Which is why I'm excited about the talent we are bringing in at that position. The TE position is very important in this offense especially as we transition away from Hooker, who didn't really use the middle of the field as much as others will

Which is why I'm excited about the talent we are bringing in at that position. The TE position is very important in this offense especially as we transition away from Hooker, who didn't really use the middle of the field as much as others will
When it comes to actual arm talent, Hooker was nowhere close to Milton or Nico. He was very smart and deadly accurate with the deep ball. This year he really excelled at looking off defenders. That's what led to Hyatt being wide open on multiple occasions, not just scheme.

Last edited:
Our TEs do a lot more than catch.
Stuff that OTs can't do.
Not saying we should have a tackle out there. I would much rather some out there who can do all the things we want a TE to do including catching a pass now and then and gaining some yards after the catch. I look at Georgia's TEs and hope we have one coming in who can do some of the things their's do.

Reactions: LittleVol
According to @bignewt and his recruiting distance equation, not landing this kid would be an udder failure.

Although I don’t live in Alcoa it is the closest HS to me and I catch a game or three each year. Will go put an eyeball on him this year. They ruined my back gate parking lot with a middle school expansion project, but will figure it out.

Although I don’t live in Alcoa it is the closest HS to me and I catch a game or three each year. Will go put an eyeball on him this year. They ruined my back gate parking lot with a middle school expansion project, but will figure it out.
I have to play them twice a year and he is HUGE

Reactions: OrangeShade
Had me at ask anything about the vols and I'm the first to answer. His offer list includes ohio state, bama, and mich...

VN Store

Back