'20 TN SDE Derrell Bailey Jr (VT commit)

Was mentioned in the War Room that his recruitment is starting to blow up, and he's competing at The Opening in Nashville this weekend.
No current Vols offer, but he's picked up offers from Arkansas, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Georgia Tech in the past couple weeks.
247 = (.8477) (84)

Reactions: GoVolsDR
Was mentioned in the War Room that his recruitment is starting to blow up, and he's competing at The Opening in Nashville this weekend.
No current Vols offer, but he's picked up offers from Arkansas, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Georgia Tech in the past couple weeks.
247 = (.8477) (84)

let's make sure and use this time to be ultra picky and choosy since we've been having to literally push commits away daily. Were too stacked on defense, we dont need em.

let's make sure and use this time to be ultra picky and choosy since we've been having to literally push commits away daily. Were too stacked on defense, we dont need em.

Or this staff can adopt the tried-and-true Butch Jones strategy and take 15 early commitments from middling 3* players, three-quarters of which will be unceremoniously cut from the class by December.

Reactions: T Dog and butchna
Having seen this young man play several times I would he has a very high ceiling, has the frame to grow into a very dominant player. He has a teammate who is a great athlete at wide receiver, 6’4- 205 lbs, Holden Willis. My opinion, both these kids would be starters on any at HS team at any level in the state!

Yeah, Holden is very good. Good route runner, excellent burst after the catch, and tough to bring down. I’m surprised he’s not getting more interest. He’s a big time talent.

Because they play 1a football. It’s just hard for kids to get noticed even though they might be good players.

Yep, it is difficult. We (Greenback) have a rising 9th grader who is 6’4”-ish 265-270 who should get looked at and another OL who is 6’1”-6’2” 290.

Because they play 1a football. It’s just hard for kids to get noticed even though they might be good players.
I get playing in 1A, you’re correct about notoriety, but these kids are camping against some of the best talent in the country and doing very well. I’m no recruiting expert, but these kids are D1 talent. Willis has the best pass catching hands I’ve seen in a long time + speed to run away from defenders, check out his high-lights, and Bailey is massive, with great speed considering his size.

I get playing in 1A, you’re correct about notoriety, but these kids are camping against some of the best talent in the country and doing very well. I’m no recruiting expert, but these kids are D1 talent. Willis has the best pass catching hands I’ve seen in a long time + speed to run away from defenders, check out his high-lights, and Bailey is massive, with great speed considering his size.
Please don’t take this as me “being a know it all jerk” but just so you can get some insight into how the process works (as far as what they look at first) I have some friends that know some college staffs and generally this is what I have been told. (I did a little free lance research on this just to kill time.. it’s prettt cool to kinda learn the nuts and bolts)

Anyway, to get your foot in the door it’s starts with getting the word out through different avenues and the reason why these big schools get these good guys is because of exposure.

So they check your body. Obviously Height and Weight but it goes a lot deeper than that.

You have the bends
Knee bend, Ankle bend, waist bend, wrist,
All of these are checked to see if you can handle what your body will need to do at the next level
How much mass you are capable of holding
They also have a ratio of speed, burst, twitch
Hips loose or tight (I don’t know exactly what that means but loosely it has to do with rotation and flexibility)

There is a lot that goes into it, so while you may see one thing they are looking at 20 things.

Just thought I would help. Obviously, they get it wrong but they do there work on these guys. (I know you know that.)

Yep, it is difficult. We (Greenback) have a rising 9th grader who is 6’4”-ish 265-270 who should get looked at and another OL who is 6’1”-6’2” 290.

Yeah my son plays 1a ball.He is 15 and is 6’2 275. I was hoping that we would of played you guys in the playoffs last year in the 3rd but gave the game away in the 2nd round.Dont think we could of won but I wanting to get to see Greenback play.

Last edited:
Please don’t take this as me “being a know it all jerk” but just so you can get some insight into how the process works (as far as what they look at first) I have some friends that know some college staffs and generally this is what I have been told. (I did a little free lance research on this just to kill time.. it’s prettt cool to kinda learn the nuts and bolts)

Anyway, to get your foot in the door it’s starts with getting the word out through different avenues and the reason why these big schools get these good guys is because of exposure.

So they check your body. Obviously Height and Weight but it goes a lot deeper than that.

You have the bends
Knee bend, Ankle bend, waist bend, wrist,
All of these are checked to see if you can handle what your body will need to do at the next level
How much mass you are capable of holding
They also have a ratio of speed, burst, twitch
Hips loose or tight (I don’t know exactly what that means but loosely it has to do with rotation and flexibility)

There is a lot that goes into it, so while you may see one thing they are looking at 20 things.

Just thought I would help. Obviously, they get it wrong but they do there work on these guys. (I know you know that.)
Thanks for the insight, just heard Willis is invited to the Nike camp tomorrow in Murfreesboro, is this a big camp?

Thanks for the insight, just heard Willis is invited to the Nike camp tomorrow in Murfreesboro, is this a big camp?
Anything Nike does is big usually... but someone else could help with that side because I don’t know much.

VN Store

Back