'19 TN RB Eric Gray

Gray is faster but I think Small is definitely a better Rb so far, especially considering he toughed it out and played hurt most of last year. This team only had about 45 players

Surprised we held up as well as we did
He may pop off this year
Would be nice to have both, no? Small was hurt most of last season. Gray was a helluva back in a shatty offense. I’d love to see him come home

Would be nice to have both, no? Small was hurt most of last season. Gray was a helluva back in a shatty offense. I’d love to see him come home

Think of this way though. Given the way the portal is now, what if Gray comes and Small and Wright decide to bolt? And what if Whitehead did as well? Not a likely scenario I know, but if that were to happen it would be catastrophic to our RB room.

Now is getting Gray, for 1 year, be worth that possible scenario? I mean if he had the talent of a Derrick Henry, Najee Harris, Nick Chubb or Kenneth Walker then I would be ok with getting him. Because you would know you are gonna get a ton of production for his one year. But there is zero guarantee Gray would see the field much here. And does he really wanna go somewhere for his final season to be a backup?

Think of this way though. Given the way the portal is now, what if Gray comes and Small and Wright decide to bolt? And what if Whitehead did as well? Not a likely scenario I know, but if that were to happen it would be catastrophic to our RB room.

Now is getting Gray, for 1 year, be worth that possible scenario? I mean if he had the talent of a Derrick Henry, Najee Harris, Nick Chubb or Kenneth Walker then I would be ok with getting him. Because you would know you are gonna get a ton of production for his one year. But there is zero guarantee Gray would see the field much here. And does he really wanna go somewhere for his final season to be a backup?

so if i understand you correctly, your theory also works in that you are against taking nico at QB because if you take him, tayven jackson may transfer and if nico does not win the job next year you dont have a QB. in this day and age, you need options. you all are dogging gray like he is garbage. it didnt work out at oklahoma, there could be many reasons for that, i dont know, i am not there. but i was here and if you didnt think he was the most electric player on the field under a jeremy pruitt offense, the one who was most likely to take a cut to the house any time, then you have just removed that period from your memory. you can say what you want, but he was ranked the #2 transfer in 2021 only behind henry t. they dont rank him there if he is as bad as you all are trying to make him out to be.

If he played though he played. A lot of players do. AT played through injury. He was available is the point I'm making regardless if he was playing through an injury.
Dude said “Small was hurt most of last season” whereas you replied that “Small only missed 2 games… not most of the season”….

If we had quality depth, Small would have had more opportunity to heal up and sit a couple more games

so if i understand you correctly, your theory also works in that you are against taking nico at QB because if you take him, tayven jackson may transfer and if nico does not win the job next year you dont have a QB. in this day and age, you need options. you all are dogging gray like he is garbage. it didnt work out at oklahoma, there could be many reasons for that, i dont know, i am not there. but i was here and if you didnt think he was the most electric player on the field under a jeremy pruitt offense, the one who was most likely to take a cut to the house any time, then you have just removed that period from your memory. you can say what you want, but he was ranked the #2 transfer in 2021 only behind henry t. they dont rank him there if he is as bad as you all are trying to make him out to be.

No. Nico is completely different. Gray is here for 1 year. Nico will likely be here for 3. Now if Gray had 3 years to play I might reconsider. That’s why I used the Derrick Henry reference. If Gray were a true game changing player, a true game breaker then he would be worth it. I watched every game Gray played here. So he was electric with a weak backfield. Doesn’t matter where he ranked. What did he do at OU? Henry T balled out. Gray did next to nothing. You can think he is better than Small or Wright all you want, but I disagree. If the staff wants him then I have to accept it. Still doesn’t change the fact that I don’t think he is that good.

look i get small is the guy on the team but him better than gray? lol gtfoh

Is this a serious conversation?

Wow the tinted glasses causes some serious denial with folks

Who had better stats last year against a tougher schedule? Gray or Small? Who had the better OL? OU or TN? Remember Gray played under Lincoln Riley.

Reactions: StoVol
No. Nico is completely different. Gray is here for 1 year. Nico will likely be here for 3. Now if Gray had 3 years to play I might reconsider. That’s why I used the Derrick Henry reference. If Gray were a true game changing player, a true game breaker then he would be worth it. I watched every game Gray played here. So he was electric with a weak backfield. Doesn’t matter where he ranked. What did he do at OU? Henry T balled out. Gray did next to nothing. You can think he is better than Small or Wright all you want, but I disagree. If the staff wants him then I have to accept it. Still doesn’t change the fact that I don’t think he is that good.
He should have at least 2 more years due to COVID year

Why’s he not declaring for the draft instead of hitting the portal?

Dude said “Small was hurt most of last season” whereas you replied that “Small only missed 2 games… not most of the season”….

If we had quality depth, Small would have had more opportunity to heal up and sit a couple more games
Small wasn't going to sit more games because of a dinged up shoulder but sure.

I would prefer him not come back.

1) The most electric player we had on offense 2 years ago, ****by far****, leaves in the portal when the head coach gets fired... (which makes sense, cause they recruited him)
2) We don't have experienced RB depth.... Small is a good back... Wright is not, average at best... everybody past that is freshman or subpar... Gray is NFL quality... nobody we have on roster that I've seen is close to that...
3) What you really mean when you say "I would prefer him not come back".... is "I would prefer Tennessee to be worse next year, because if you leave the program I pay attention to, I don't *like* you anymore, and barring you from ever returning is the only validation of that feeling I have that's acceptable to me"

...its petty

Hes not program changing. I'm in fact correct.i don't care if he left you're acting like he's amazing and he's not. It's a highlight video that doesn't show the multitude of bad plays he had. It's biased evidence to support your agenda.
Well we did have 2 seasons to watch him play before that.... where, maybe I was the only one at home saying "Man, they need to put Eric Gray in WTF are they doing?"

I don't know what "bad plays" you're taking about? He hasn't lost a fumble his entire career in college, was a finalist for Mr Football out of Division II AA TSSAA both his Junior/Senior year, and there's not much you can do if you run into a wall your OL didn't open any holes for... There's not really a back that exists that's "program changing"... Kamara... Derrick Henry... Ladanian Tomlinson... none were really "program changing".... maybe Adrian Peterson?

He has a ton of film, elite change of direction ability, and way above average speed/acceleration... if you can't see that with your eyeballs, you don't need to be evaluating running backs

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
1) The most electric player we had on offense 2 years ago, ****by far****, leaves in the portal when the head coach gets fired... (which makes sense, cause they recruited him)
2) We don't have experienced RB depth.... Small is a good back... Wright is not, average at best... everybody past that is freshman or subpar... Gray is NFL quality... nobody we have on roster that I've seen is close to that...
3) What you really mean when you say "I would prefer him not come back".... is "I would prefer Tennessee to be worse next year, because if you leave the program I pay attention to, I don't *like* you anymore, and barring you from ever returning is the only validation of that feeling I have that's acceptable to me"

...its petty
But you left out....
4) He was involved in the players there was proof they were being paid before NIL and involving the school which led to all that NCAA stuff which may mean the school and/or coaches will not bring him back no matter how petty or enthusiastic our fans are about the situation.
Seriously, has there been anything that makes this even seem possible?

What evidence do we have to indicate that he is possibly considering returning and do we have a spot available? Or is this just another wild speculation thread that has been so common on VN over the years
He was working out with some current players. That’s it. That’s what all the speculation is about.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
Pretty much. 😂

People forgetting he was the first kid sit as soon as allegations started being investigated by compliance. Kid said when he left it wasn’t his decision. There is zero way he’s back in a Vol uniform. But yeah let’s keep saying how great he was and how he’s the second coming of Kamara. I like to keep most of the stupid in one thread so it works.

But you left out....
4) He was involved in the players there was proof they were being paid before NIL and involving the school which led to all that NCAA stuff which may mean the school and/or coaches will not bring him back no matter how petty or enthusiastic our fans are about the situation.
Seriously, has there been anything that makes this even seem possible?
I didn't hear what the actual smoke was...

It jerked me the wrong way seeing people unimaginatively disrespect former alumni for with no backing or actual reasoning at all... as far as the "Kamara comparison" people keep rolling their eyes about... he reminded me of him in 2020... maybe not the crazy balance, but the electricity that hit the turf when he got the ball was similar... they're also both 5'10", 209-215 lbs, very similar builds....I did not mean they were the exact same player... Sony Michel also had a similar style... by this I mean that always moving forward, one-cut run style with elite change of direction and great speed/acceleration... the kind that pretty much always makes the first guy miss or at least come into the tackle crooked... I wasn't comparing their compiled yardage, touchdowns, broken tackle tallies, etc... just a straight eyeball test on three different backs that played in three completely different offenses on three completely different teams... who's to say what Walter Payton would have done on the Colts with Peyton Manning with insert <OL here>? Statistics don't necessarily grade an athlete... Chubb was better than Michel... we saw that in action.... Garner was better than Little Man Stewart... we saw that in action... Jamal Lewis was better than an actual bulldozer.... we saw that in action...

Also, not really his fault CJP was giving him sacks of money? (which, reminder, is legal now).... and that stuff was being done long, long before it was legal by every coach we've had... and every coach Alabama's had.... Georgia.... Florida.... LSU.... Texas A&M.... Ohio State... Michigan.... Oregon... Miami... Florida State... Clemson.... pretty much every college football hotspot around the country... let's not be naive here.... so are we mad that was happening? ....or mad CJP did it out in the open unashamedly, got caught, and this kid was one of the players definitely receiving benefits?

VN Store

Back