‘23 TN RB DeSean Bishop (Tennessee commit)

What's chances on us taking a prospect like this and converting to CB? Didnt Chavis used to do such?

werent Smurf patrol converted Hb's?

Seems like we had a plethora of conversions, seems like we had two or three guys that could never find homes that ended up at DB.
I’m sure we have converted some RB’s to cbs once they get on campus…. But if memory serves correct…. Chief liked to recruit RB’s/safety’s to be linebackers…. Bigger Linebackers to be defensive ends and bigger defensive ends to defensive tackles….They also loved recruiting athletic defensive lineman with the intent of making them offensive lineman…. Chief valued as much speed as possible….. I have no idea if this guys metrics would make the staff believe he could be a cb.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
I’m sure we have converted some RB’s to cbs once they get on campus…. But if memory serves correct…. Chief liked to recruit RB’s/safety’s to be linebackers…. Bigger Linebackers to be defensive ends and bigger defensive ends to defensive tackles….They also loved recruiting athletic defensive lineman with the intent of making them offensive lineman…. Chief valued as much speed as possible….. I have no idea if this guys metrics would make the staff believe he could be a cb.
Marsalous Johnson is a name that occurs.

Marsalous Johnson is a name that occurs.
Johnson was recruited as a DB by everyone and was listed as such on the recruiting websites…. The guy ran a 10.4 100 in high school…. He fit what Chavis recruited for defense…. I don’t think desean shares those attributes with Johnson…. We would have to know what draw and metrics are.

Jakouri Williams back in 2004? RB out of Louisiana
Mostly they were either WRs or QBs that got converted back in Chiefs time.

I'm sure there's someone I'm missing that was a RB.
Derrick Tinsley moved there for a bit, then moved back to offense

Even though he committed to Coastal Carolina a couple weeks back, we aren’t closing the door on Desean Bishop and Tennessee. Tennessee is super thin at tailback which is why two backs in this class and maybe a late add to the roster this fall isn’t out of the question.
-VQ

I hope we keep a solid and civil dialog up. If he were able to sustain or improve his production and show evidence of an even higher physical ceiling this season, he would be a guy that you would hate to let get out of town and generate years of fan dialog like the famous player just down the road from me at Alcoa. He seems to have passed some toughness and durability questions already.

I don't have a clue where his heart is as far as preference schools. Is not getting a hard offer by the local school an insulting game changer? If he were to explode early, is it possible that local fans would support an NIL difference making deal to make him think before signing day? If his team in on the local streaming service again I will watch his games/replays if warranted, at least until it becomes a total impasse.

In today's world is a portal return down the road a real possibility if his recruitment is properly handled? Lot's of additional moving parts in situations involving hometown cusp guys.

Even though he committed to Coastal Carolina a couple weeks back, we aren’t closing the door on Desean Bishop and Tennessee. Tennessee is super thin at tailback which is why two backs in this class and maybe a late add to the roster this fall isn’t out of the question.
-VQ

I hope we keep a solid and civil dialog up. If he were able to sustain or improve his production and show evidence of an even higher physical ceiling this season, he would be a guy that you would hate to let get out of town and generate years of fan dialog like the famous player just down the road from me at Alcoa. He seems to have passed some toughness and durability questions already.

I don't have a clue where his heart is as far as preference schools. Is not getting a hard offer by the local school an insulting game changer? If he were to explode early, is it possible that local fans would support an NIL difference making deal to make him think before signing day? If his team in on the local streaming service again I will watch his games/replays if warranted, at least until it becomes a total impasse.

In today's world is a portal return down the road a real possibility if his recruitment is properly handled? Lot's of additional moving parts in situations involving hometown cusp guys.
I think the big question mark for him (and why he hasn't generated more interest possibly) is that coaches are a bit scared of the tread he's already got on his tires. His high school team runs him ragged. It's a legitimate risk to invest a scholarship in someone whose body has already taken the punishment his has taken before ever setting foot on a college campus. With that said, we need running backs and haven't been able to get much traction with guys on our board this cycle for some reason... so perhaps it's worth the risk to circle back.

Im not sure how we are thin? We have 5 going into fall
J Small
L Whitehead
J Wright
D Sampson
J Thomas
Who knows if the Freshman are ready. I think Wright should be better. A lot of people don't think Whitehead can get it done, but I think he has great potential if he's healthy.

I think the big question mark for him (and why he hasn't generated more interest possibly) is that coaches are a bit scared of the tread he's already got on his tires. His high school team runs him ragged. It's a legitimate risk to invest a scholarship in someone whose body has already taken the punishment his has taken before ever setting foot on a college campus. With that said, we need running backs and haven't been able to get much traction with guys on our board this cycle for some reason... so perhaps it's worth the risk to circle back.

Easy to see a lot of people on this board didn't grow up on a farm or run a trapline.

Reactions: TOUCHDOWN!!TN
Im not sure how we are thin? We have 5 going into fall
J Small
L Whitehead
J Wright
D Sampson
J Thomas
Whitehead should be at Lb. Small had injury issues last year. Wright isn’t spectacular. Then you have two freshmen that are question marks although I really like both.

Reactions: ChiTownVol
Easy to see a lot of people on this board didn't grow up on a farm or run a trapline.
Good grief, not this conversation again. We get it, you were the hero of your farm because you could lift two bales of hay at once. No one cares about your barnyard exploits, and it isn't remotely relative to Bishop and his workload. Just admit you have no idea about the toll of playing RB and the number of carries and its effect on the body relative to the competition, and then head on back to the garden and get me some 'maters.

Whitehead should be at Lb. Small had injury issues last year. Wright isn’t spectacular. Then you have two freshmen that are question marks although I really like both.
I feel like people always forget Wright had 1 year, just 1, as a starter in HS as a junior. In that season he only had 89 carries for 900 yards. His senior season was cancelled. Then his next time playing football is in the SEC last season. Averaging 5 ypc given that situation is pretty damn impressive

Good grief, not this conversation again. We get it, you were the hero of your farm because you could lift two bales of hay at once. No one cares about your barnyard exploits, and it isn't remotely relative to Bishop and his workload. Just admit you have no idea about the toll of playing RB and the number of carries and its effect on the body relative to the competition, and then head on back to the garden and get me some 'maters.

Just curious where did you play running back?

Point is recovery from any activity from digging ditches to playing running back is measured in hours not months.

Of course for sissies like apparently yourself it may take longer to recover from the emotional stress.

…that’s literally the knock on the kid. His team runs him 40+ times a game. It’s easy to see you can’t think critically.

So he's the only player in HS playing 40+ snaps??
These arguments are baseless. I can understand concerns for injury, but a young health player staying tired?? Nope.

Bear Bryant was asked about his backs getting 30 + carries, his reply. It ain't heavy.

Just curious where did you play running back?

Point is recovery from any activity from digging ditches to playing running back is measured in hours not months.

Of course for sissies like apparently yourself it may take longer to recover from the emotional stress.
Your understanding of it seems to be based solely on recovery from being tired. It isn't about being tired. Your body (legs, ankles, knees, practically every joint) only has so many miles in them, just like a car. The concern isn't so much that Bishop is tired at the end of a game. It's that by the end of his high school career, he's going to have been run into the ground before his real career ever gets started.

I can't believe I'm having to explain that simplistic idea to you. And it isn't 40 snaps a game he's seeing. It's 40 carries. 40 times he touches the ball with 11 other people intent on piling on him, diving at his legs, taking shots at his head/neck/shoulders. Injury risk aside, that kind of beating repeated over 40 carries, not to mention the other snaps where he is either running routes or blocking, takes its toll.

And yes, his young body can take it to an extent. But he will pay for it toward the premature ending of his career because he was run ragged as a youth. There is a reason college and pro coaches manage snaps and you see so many shared backfields at that level now.

Your understanding of it seems to be based solely on recovery from being tired. It isn't about being tired. Your body (legs, ankles, knees, practically every joint) only has so many miles in them, just like a car. The concern isn't so much that Bishop is tired at the end of a game. It's that by the end of his high school career, he's going to have been run into the ground before his real career ever gets started.

I can't believe I'm having to explain that simplistic idea to you. And it isn't 40 snaps a game he's seeing. It's 40 carries. 40 times he touches the ball with 11 other people intent on piling on him, diving at his legs, taking shots at his head/neck/shoulders. Injury risk aside, that kind of beating repeated over 40 carries, not to mention the other snaps where he is either running routes or blocking, takes its toll.

And yes, his young body can take it to an extent. But he will pay for it toward the premature ending of his career because he was run ragged as a youth. There is a reason college and pro coaches manage snaps and you see so many shared backfields at that level now.

So, you never mentioned where you played running back, or where you got your medical training, I got mine in the U.S.Navy. a combat corpsman, I understand the human body very well.

So, you never mentioned where you played running back, or where you got your medical training, I got mine in the U.S.Navy. a combat corpsman, I understand the human body very well.
My bad. I didn't realize only running backs and licensed physicians had the right to state the facts on the matter.

I'm also not an Olympic swimmer or a hydrologist, but I can tell you with a great deal of certainty that water is wet.

But you keep beating your chest about your legendary farm workouts, Mr. Seaman. ✌️

VN Store

Back