'22 TN QB Ty Simpson (Alabama commit)

While they shouldn't care to the extent that it drives his decision, they have to at least consider where they live. Go ask Chad Clifton about those folks in Martin, those Vol fans. Better yet, go ask Lou Holtz. Whenever he did an in-home with Chad, some fans took to his car in the driveway. Can't recall what all they did to it, but I do remember they shaving creamed it, and wrote "THIS IS VOL COUNTRY" across his hood or front windshield.

I'm sure they care, and are doing everything they can to be as considerate as they can be...if it's not UT.
Yeah, I don't think he's going to throw the UT hat down or anything. And my gut would be he's going to continue to be recruited by UT until signing day.

This is where I disagree a little bit - Simpson should pick where he wants to go. Obviously things like coaches, national perception, winning, all come into play. However, if someone would have told us four years ago that not only would we be in the midst of a new coaching staff, but also a brand new administration, none of us would've believed it. Furthermore, no one would've ever thought us to be facing NCAA penalty for the inept actions that lead to the leadership change to begin with.

If TS picks Clemson or Bama because he feels that they'll be the way they are forever, then it's short sighted. Bama has experienced coaching turnover in their ranks year over year, and how much longer will Saban actually coach. Dabo has been pretty good at keeping his staff together, but as successful as they've been that's becoming ever more difficult.

Conversely, Tennessee isn't going to be the same as we currently are either. With new leadership in place, TS could be a part of the group of players that actually brings UT back to both SEC and National relevance. The NFL will find its talent regardless of where a kid went to school. I hope this kid ends up in Orange mostly because of the optics around him being an in state 5 star QB, and the impact it would have in helping CJH's first recruiting class.

One additional thing that goes unmentioned, is the NIL changes that are going to take place during this recruiting class' collegiate career. TS is the perfect kid to benefit from local endorsements, advertisements, etc. and have a long list of opportunities to capitalize after his playing career is finished.

YEP.... single wing was what it was and he did what he thought he needed to do. Fear of the unknown, but assumed bad, is what it is too. Really wish he could have deferred his decision till just before ESD. Think it cost us now, and even if he picks up our hat now, fear a change in heart if we really get hammered. That might hurt worse. Hopefully NCAA cards will be played before then and we might get another shot if he picks another spot now, Lots of trends possible.

No, this part: "That is pretty insulting to the kid and his family to propose that having access to some hookers would sway him to come to UT. Not sure if blue font is applicable or not."

Poster was saying Freeze could have gotten TS to commit because of his coaching abilities, not because of his past indiscretions.

Our fanbase is creating an unfair narrative around Ty’s decision.

“He knows the ramifications of not picking TN.”

“He knows it would crush our program if he announced his commitment elsewhere.”

And many, many more hyperbolic statements. Listen, I desperately want Ty to be a Vol, but why is it some 17 year old kid’s responsibility to pick us because he grew up a Vol fan? His ultimate goal is to win championships and get to the NFL, not please our fanbase. I can’t blame him if he thinks it’s more secure to go elsewhere.

And many, many more hyperbolic statements. Listen, I desperately want Ty to be a Vol, but why is it some 17 year old kid’s responsibility to pick us because he grew up a Vol fan? His ultimate goal is to win championships and get to the NFL, not please our fanbase. I can’t blame him if he thinks it’s more secure to go elsewhere.
Is it unfair? Of course. It comes with territory of being a football star in the south. Just the way the world works.

Reactions: SweetasSoda

So, he can't win championships here?

Reactions: SweetasSoda

If he doesn’t pick UT, I will write him a sternly written message on Volnation and bring shame upon his family name.

So, he can't win championships here?

Is this a serious question?

Can he win a championship here? Sure. We are in the SEC.

Will he win a championship here? Almost certainly unlikely as we are yet again in our 5th rebuild in 13 years, sanctions on the way, and a HC that most agree is exciting but far from a sure thing.

Oh and there is the simple fact we haven’t won the East in 14 years or the SEC in about 20.

If Ty is announcing he is going to Bama or Clemson in front of an entire room of people that are likely UT fans, he obviously doesn't have it between the ears. You can commit to them sure. But you don't do an in person announcement at your school in a very UT heavy area when those people all want you to be the savior of their home state program.

I just really think Vols here. I think Simpson will be to Heupel what Hurd was to Butch. That is, the first major in state commit that gets the ball rolling and gets others to believe in the direction of the program.
Too much is made out of these announcements. I personally do not believe that the success of the program depends on one kid’s announcement of where he is going to school. The announcements themselves create the primadonna image that surrounds the privileged athletes that think they should be paid in amateur athletics. We should have learned this after JG made such a big deal of announcing in Times Square. Maybe they are good for the pride of the community in which the kid lives but the college program rarely benefits from this sensationalism. What if they change their commitment before signing day? Then the announcement was a farce to began with.

This reminds me of Steve Sloan from Cleveland picking Bama over UT where he won NC. By the end of his Bama career UT was on the rise and beating Bama every year. One recruit does not make a program.

Reactions: volsfan_17

i'm not sure about the crushing the program stuff, agree.

but the ramifications for the fan base are real. it'd be a gut punch for fans....especially if it's Bama....hard not to acknowledge that.

agree on the rest....it's his decision, his potential meal ticket, he should treat it appropriately.

VN Store

Back