'22 TN QB Ty Simpson (Alabama commit)

Thing about EXPOSURE? You can be EXPOSED. Lot of coaches kids out there get offers...at the mid-major or FCS level. Bama and Clemson ain’t offering off a camp attendance list...they love his film.
I think you know that's not what I was suggesting, though. Obviously, Bama, LSU, and Clemson offers speak volumes. I've admitted as much in other posts. I just think Horn was perhaps on the verge of grabbing similar offers, but his limited experience and absence of camps this summer derailed that. I think that's a fair, rational conclusion. And to your point, he could also have been exposed in those settings, as well. Judging by his film against 7A Georgia HS competition, I think he'd have been just fine, but that's just my opinion.

It doesn't say anything negative about Simpson to suggest Horn may also be a really good QB. He just doesn't have the hype and hoopla surrounding his recruitment for reasons already mentioned and limited time playing the sport.

I think you know that's not what I was suggesting, though. Obviously, Bama, LSU, and Clemson offers speak volumes. I've admitted as much in other posts. I just think Horn was perhaps on the verge of grabbing similar offers, but his limited experience and absence of camps this summer derailed that. I think that's a fair, rational conclusion. And to your point, he could also have been exposed in those settings, as well. Judging by his film against 7A Georgia HS competition, I think he'd have been just fine, but that's just my opinion.

It doesn't say anything negative about Simpson to suggest Horn may also be a really good QB. He just doesn't have the hype and hoopla surrounding his recruitment for reasons already mentioned and limited time playing the sport.
But hinting at the two H’s as the prime separation between the two serves as a negative...intentional or not. Staff’s been pursuing Simpson for quite awhile, so due diligence despite outside promotion has been conducted. Somehow they’ve managed to scout Horn and offer. Maybe possibly they have some data.

Concerned some of you are going to talk yourself into disappointment if we get one over the other. Kinda like last year's Bailey/King. Can't we just be excited we have Bailey, Salter and maybe a Simpson or Horn? I will be a fan of whichever one chooses orange.
I'll be over the moon if either chooses us. Love both their games, but they're extremely different. Both can ball, that's for sure!

But hinting at the two H’s as the prime separation between the two serves as a negative...intentional or not. Staff’s been pursuing Simpson for quite awhile, so due diligence despite outside promotion has been conducted. Somehow they’ve managed to scout Horn and offer. Maybe possibly they have some data.
Well, addressing the two Hs was certainly not an intentional slight toward Simpson. It was just a means of bringing attention to the fact that one of these kids has been receiving offers since the 8th grade and one of them has only been playing football for two years. Suggesting that Horn lacks the exposure associated with being the talented son of a collegiate HC in addition to the experience that Simpson is fortunate to have isn’t to suggest that Simpson hasn’t earned his offers of his own volition, either. Horn missing the camp circuit between his SO and JR year is a big deal and has very likely curtailed his offer list. My guess is a lot of these coaches wanted to see him up close in their own camps before pulling the trigger on an offer.

The statement was made to provide plausible reasoning for the difference in their offer lists, and not a subtle dig at Simpson.

Well, addressing the two Hs was certainly not an intentional slight toward Simpson. It was just a means of bringing attention to the fact that one of these kids has been receiving offers since the 8th grade and one of them has only been playing football for two years. Suggesting that Horn lacks the exposure associated with being the talented son of a collegiate HC in addition to the experience that Simpson is fortunate to have isn’t to suggest that Simpson hasn’t earned his offers of his own volition, either. Horn missing the camp circuit between his SO and JR year is a big deal and has very likely curtailed his offer list. My guess is a lot of these coaches wanted to see him up close in their own camps before pulling the trigger on an offer.

The statement was made to provide plausible reasoning for the difference in their offer lists, and not a subtle dig at Simpson.
If Horn had been more focused on football maybe. We’ve been dinged I’m the past with quarterbacks who eventually chose baseball. Offers and opportunities were most likely missed.

If Horn ends up being the guy, I’ll be properly psyched. If he’s THE guy. Perfect analogy with the Bailey/King. Could’ve seen where we got neither by wanting both. The coaches aren’t weighted down by the message board fans concocting grievances against Simpson imo. They’ll play the long game and work towards landing their first choice...unburdened by “late” commitment deadlines or “afraid of competition” narratives. Coaches are never infallible but their wrong calls are of the educated wrong variety.

Like Leaf/Manning, Bailey/King, Jordan/Bowie kinda thing huh. Time will tell.

Time’s never been known to stop VN.
I was stuck in a time loop in (I think it was) the Mims thread. Got caught in that video of those kids and their so called dancing shenanigans. Took a while, but I finally realized I was repeating the same questions as to what I was looking at, and freed myself.

It was nip and tuck there for a while...pretty scary actually.

True! Just bugs me when fans and analysts pick apart a recruit over every little thing and convince themselves that there's some great difference. All have strengths and weaknesses. Coaches usually see weaknesses as something that can be fixed or not.
Horn is also likely early round baseball draftee which might skew his rating lower as a QB. Both play baseball, but Horn is considered elite, like Helton.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
AP also said he was VERY close with TY. And said Clemson and KY media were the biggest homers.
There should be a name for the opposite of a homer. Greenville and Lexington about the same size, nothing else to report and they are more prone to support their local program than Knoxville whose employees somehow got the notion in their heads that they are journalists.

Last edited:
Man this kid can flat out wing it. Great arm and mobility, not a throw he can't make. Scrambling ability reminds me of BM, he can really chew up the yards if he needs to. Top notch pocket awareness. Love how he can quickly and deliberately go through all his progressions. Really trusts his O-line and doesn't seem to panic which can lead to big plays.

Put him behind a good O-Line here at Tennessee and he will be deadly.

VN Store

Back