'25 TN QB George MacIntyre (Tennessee commit)

Nico is considered a generational talent at the QB position. When you take his natural gifts, maturity, demeanor, and work ethic.... then combine it with Heupel's acumen for developing QBs (now with the assistance of Halzle AND McKenzie Milton) It's hard to imagine someone surpassing Nico for QB1.
So is Merklinger.

You'll see.

I love the Merklinger commitment. I just won't go as far as calling him a "generational" talent at this point. There's nothing wrong with being one of the best in your class, without being one of the best in the last 20 years.
Exactly. Merklinger is a great player and glad he's a Vol. Nico's natural gifts are just on another level.

Last edited:
It's wise to not say never when it's already happened before.
In totally different eras. Back when Peyton/Branndon were being recruited, commits might not even know who their teammates were until Signing Day. Lil more advanced when Casey and Erik signed on, but nothing like today’s social media instant information. Kids simply have way too many options to be an AND when you’re talking QB in a class.

Last edited:
I will be surprised if Merklinger every starts for us. I think he is brought in to challenge our starters and be a solid option if we have a critical injury. JMO of course

I will be surprised if Merklinger every starts for us. I think he is brought in to challenge our starters and be a solid option if we have a critical injury. JMO of course
Nobody’s “brought in” to be a backup. You sign the best available and let them compete. You start recruiting BACKUPS? You’re running a clinic in defeatism.

I would be most worried about Clemson. Apparently his dad is the FIU coach and is big in the FCA. Worried that Righteous Gemstones Dabo is going to press him that it’s god’s will for him to go to clemson, like he did with Sammy Brown.

Last edited:
I would be most worried about Clemson. Apparently his dad is the FIU coach and is big in the FCA. Worried that Righteous Gemstones Dabo is going to press him that it’s god’s will for him to go to clemson, like he did with Sammy Brown.
Deuce is better suited for this offense anyway, and wants to be here. It would be nice to land both, but if I had to pick 1 of the 2 I’d go with Deuce. We’re likely never going to get better QB play than we did this past year. Nico might be slightly better if we start running some different passing concepts that use the middle of the field more and requires the QB to make throws into tight windows. However unless the offense changes over time we don’t necessarily need a 5 star QB for the offense to be successful. Heupel does a great job at tweaking the offense to fit his personnel’s strengths and elevate them. We just need a guy that can make quick decisions and hit the deep balls and is able to make things happen with his legs when the pocket collapses. Deuce fits that profile to a T. Landing a kid like George isn’t the must get that some people think it is

Last edited:
Nico is considered a generational talent at the QB position. When you take his natural gifts, maturity, demeanor, and work ethic.... then combine it with Heupel's acumen for developing QBs (now with the assistance of Halzle AND McKenzie Milton) It's hard to imagine someone surpassing Nico for QB1.

And I hope to hell that's the case. But DJ Uiagalelei was too and was one of the highest rated QB's ever with a 101 rating and we saw how that went. I want nothing more than for Nico to be our next great QB, then Jake follow him. But as we've all seen there's no gimme when it comes to HS QB's. But most of the time the ones that fail don't have it mentally. It doesn't sound like that's an issue with him, but till he gets poped a few times, fumbles, throws an int etc we just won't know. I haven't been this excited about a FR QB in a long time. Especially one who was the #1 recruit in the country. Hope he wins us several NC's and Heisman's!!

VN Store

Back