'21 TN OLB Junior Colson (Michigan commit)

Yeah but Fields is affected rn. Colson is not affected by B1G fall football. Only by TN high schools playing or not. He is still in high school.
It's got to be concerning to recruits signing with a conference if the conference is going to call off football because of what may happen because it may happen again next fall.

It's got to be concerning to recruits signing with a conference if the conference is going to call off football because of what may happen because it may happen again next fall.
That seems like quite the projection to make a year from now. We don't know what is going to happen next week, or even tomorrow due to this pandemic. I can't imagine even trying to think or plan out a year ahead of time.

That seems like quite the projection to make a year from now. We don't know what is going to happen next week, or even tomorrow due to this pandemic. I can't imagine even trying to think or plan out a year ahead of time.
This is true, but if I am weighing all things toward a decision for my next 3 to 4 years to continue playing football, how committed a conference is would definitely be considered along with how committed schools are to providing the best chance to win. I would be watching. Of course there are many things that go into a decision.

Admittedly, my original question was a loaded one. How does all that affect Colson, though? Big 10 cancelling the 2020 season has what kind of bearing on Colson, or any other 2021 kid?

I keep seeing the idea being tossed around that these kids we were recruiting that have since committed to other schools in the Big 10 should suddenly be rethinking their commitment, but I'm wondering why? Is it because they should project the idea that football will be cancelled in 2021 for those schools, too?
It shows lack of commitment and loyalty to their student athletes.

It shows lack of commitment and loyalty to their student athletes.
Or does it show a level of consideration for their personal safety and well-being? I guess it depends on which side of that polarizing fence each player/recruit resides. And FWIW, I'm not taking a stand one way or the other by suggesting that. Just playing devil's advocate.

Also to be considered is that a school not playing gives an existing player at my position less of a leg up and less experience. In essence, it closes that gap.

Definitely a tricky situation to navigate for both, administrations and student athletes, but I haven't seen much evidence to indicate that this decision significantly hurts the Big 10, nor that it is in a recruiter's best interest to look around a year out. Too many unknown variables. I was just curious what other people were seeing to give them a different opinion on the matter. Definitely not dismissing your thoughts on the matter, and I'm sure there will be players who feel that way. I'd guess those players will probably more or less come from the pool of existing players rather than future ones, but maybe there is a trickle down effect.

Or does it show a level of consideration for their personal safety and well-being? I guess it depends on which side of that polarizing fence each player/recruit resides. And FWIW, I'm not taking a stand one way or the other by suggesting that. Just playing devil's advocate.

Also to be considered is that a school not playing gives an existing player at my position less of a leg up and less experience. In essence, it closes that gap.

Definitely a tricky situation to navigate for both, administrations and student athletes, but I haven't seen much evidence to indicate that this decision significantly hurts the Big 10, nor that it is in a recruiter's best interest to look around a year out. Too many unknown variables. I was just curious what other people were seeing to give them a different opinion on the matter. Definitely not dismissing your thoughts on the matter, and I'm sure there will be players who feel that way. I'd guess those players will probably more or less come from the pool of existing players rather than future ones, but maybe there is a trickle down effect.
Well I am taking a stand...it is huge load of bull💩 and I hope they burn for it. All of this is bull💩...

Reactions: Leeleesteeth

I would fall on the side of they believe their point of views aren't taken into account. I think this is why you have Ryan Day making a point to say we're searching all avenues to play. He knows if his conference and university seem dismissive of student athlete concerns then he needs to be seen as embracing them or risk an exodus of current and future players.

On the flip side you have Tennessee leadership posting videos of them asking the players what they want and backing the decision of them wanting to play.

Fair enough.

But if that's where we are headed, with no better grasp and understanding of the virus, no vaccine, or herd immunity in 12 months from now, just send me off into the wilderness like an Inuit elder. I'll go do the Appalachian Trail for 6 months rather than more of this crap.

Yeah...no matter the truth or one's perspective, the B1G and Pac will spin it this way.

If they were to get reall ballsy (and take to extreme measures feeling like the SEC/ACC/B12 would lap them more), they would go straight to setting up their own PAs and market themselves as the conferences for players. Risky, but would be real ballsy.

EEs could also play in the Spring. I think this 100% affects transfers, but don't get the HS recruit angle.
They play in spring and they’ll be in effect playing 3 seasons in less than a calendar year.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I would fall on the side of they believe their point of views aren't taken into account. I think this is why you have Ryan Day making a point to say we're searching all avenues to play. He knows if his conference and university seem dismissive of student athlete concerns then he needs to be seen as embracing them or risk an exodus of current and future players.

On the flip side you have Tennessee leadership posting videos of them asking the players what they want and backing the decision of them wanting to play.
Also true, but we can't just pretend like Ryan Day is doing the noble thing, here, or that his interests in the matter are entirely altruistic. He has some serious skin in the game. In a time where coaches salaries are taking a hit and if he believes that his team and conference suffers a setback or disadvantage at the hands of the SEC, however significant, he's going to fight for his own well-being as much as anyone else's by speaking out on behalf of the players whose interest, in this case, most aligns with his own.

And I say that with full expectation that the SEC eventually caves and cancels fall football, as well.

They play in spring and they’ll be in effect playing 3 seasons in less than a calendar year.
In the event that spring football happens, I think the NCAA will prohibit early enrollees from competing. They will let them practice just like if it were spring practice, but not let them play. JMO.

Fair enough. I can respect your thoughts on it. I tend to believe if they can live in the dorms and attend classes, then they can play sports.

I agree. My concern is an outbreak that shuts down the campus. I doubt kids will die, but infections can still be severe.

Having said that, I think we owe it to the students to TRY. Here's hoping we keep the spread to a minimum.

I agree. My concern is an outbreak that shuts down the campus. I doubt kids will die, but infections can still be severe.

I think the greater concern is having asymptomatic college kids putting older professors and university employees at risk of infection. Also, what about when the college kids go home and infect their parents, grandparents, and/or friends and relatives?

But I completely agree that the SEC should try to have fall sports, even without fans. As much as it pains me to say it, if there's no feasible way to balance the medical risks, then it needs to be shut down.

Reactions: lfvol
I think the greater concern is having asymptomatic college kids putting older professors and university employees at risk of infection. Also, what about when the college kids go home and infect their parents, grandparents, and/or friends and relatives?

But I completely agree that the SEC should try to have fall sports, even without fans. As much as it pains me to say it, if there's no feasible way to balance the medical risks, then it needs to be shut down.
Here's the thing though..... As a few football players have stated they can get the virus anywhere at anytime just like the rest of us. Football has nothing to do with that unless you are under the false assumption that the players will be under quarantine if they do not play.

On the Erik Ainge show this morning, they were discussing how seniors can come back to school next year. But, the roster can still only be 85 scholarship players. Which means either the schools won't be signing a complete class or seniors are being told to leave. Not a good look either way.
Hopefully that will change.

Reactions: Devo182
On the Erik Ainge show this morning, they were discussing how seniors can come back to school next year. But, the roster can still only be 85 scholarship players. Which means either the schools won't be signing a complete class or seniors are being told to leave. Not a good look either way.
That doesn’t seem fair, to the roster, team or recruits looking for a spot. NCAA needs to go.

VN Store

Back