'19 TN OL Melvin McBride (Tennessee signee)

wc5uxqq5funr7z2fu0y4

Melvin McBride was one of those one-sport athletes, but thanks to Memphis Whitehaven football coach Rodney Saulsberry, McBride's now a highly sought after offensive lineman. McBride, 6-4, 318 pounds, played basketball exclusively until Saulsberry convinced him to switch to football. He's gone from no scholarship offers in basketball to 18 offers in football...after playing only one season. "Coach Saulsberry got me out there, and I started, and it went from there," McBride said. "I thank him for everything. I wouldn't be here without him."

...He started working out with the football team in the spring of his sophomore year. He has a 350 pound bench press, 600 squat and a 305 power clean. "I started lifting weights in the 10th grade," McBride said. "I was already naturally strong. I developed when I started lifting."

Saulsberry marvels at McBride's talent. "The biggest thing is extreme upside and athleticism," Saulsberry said. "For a young man at that size, to be so athletic and physically fit, it's truly a sight to behold." McBride is a "sponge for knowledge," Saulsberry said. "Extremely coachable kid and you would never know by watching his film he only has one year experience of playing football," Saulsberry said.

The Recruiting Guy: Switch to football nets more offers

I love it when offensive or defensive linemen have a basketball background.

Reactions: 1 person
Why? That sport does nothing for the trenches.

I would say basketball will would help develop good coordination, balance, and explosiveness.

A lot of successful NFL lineman aren't necessarily the largest of the the large their whole life. A lot were athletic people who continued to get bigger but kept their explosiveness.

Not to mention weak stance, inability to use hands correctly, and flopping

I would say basketball will would help develop good coordination, balance, and explosiveness.

A lot of successful NFL lineman aren't necessarily the largest of the the large their whole life. A lot were athletic people who continued to get bigger but kept their explosiveness.

I would agree, more for skill position players than lineman...imo

I think there's something to the fact that while more and more kids are specializing in a single sport today, most of the people that make it to professional leagues played multiple sports growing up.

Reactions: 5 people
I think there's something to the fact that while more and more kids are specializing in a single sport today, most of the people that make it to professional leagues played multiple sports growing up.

I know the Vandy baseball coaches do and most D1 coaches look for that as well. By the time you get to 11th grade or your senior year, if you are far better at one and getting recruited then that might be the time to focus on one but they like multi sport athletes.

Athleticism... which guards and tackles need especially on the NFL level.

Ask a linemen coach if they would rather their players be wrestlers or basketball players and 100% would say they want wrestlers because they know what it's like to win Mano y Mano

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back