'20 TN OL Cooper Mays (UT SIGNEE)

giphy.gif

Tennessee’s relentless pursuit, and today’s commitment, was possible because Cooper gave them a chance. A smoldering relationship got its first spark last March with a rather benign trip to simply watch spring practice. At the time, it made for an interesting development given the heat and criticism the Mays family, including Cooper, took when Cade headed for Athens.

“It was a few months after Cade signed with Georgia. I wasn’t really sure how to feel going into it,” Cooper explained. “I felt a little bit awkward, a little uncomfortable. I kind of didn’t really know what to expect. We had good conversation. He kind of eased the tension a little bit and made me feel like I was my own person and nothing was really going to affect our relationship.”

In other words, the recruitment of Cooper Mays has been solely about Cooper Mays. That concept meant the world to the now-280 pounder, who answered any questions people had about his strength this spring as he went against the best the south had to offer in various camp settings, including the Rivals camp in Charlotte and The Opening regional in Murfreesboro where he earned an invite to the finals in just over a week in Frisco, Texas.

“That meant everything to me. Everyone makes those preconceived notions about you and coach Pruitt came in and just showed me a lot of love for me from the start. He didn’t judge me off anything else other than who I was and what I had showed him. That meant a lot to be because a lot of people kind of write me off as Cade’s little brother. It meant a lot to me that he respected me as my own person,” Mays said.
“I understood why people were mad, but Cade had to do what was best for him, just like I have to do what’s best for me,” Mays said. “I just had to block out all of the negativity and just focus on building relationships at each school that recruited me including Tennessee.
“I think it’s big for me because it’s all of my hard work being recognized and showing through. It’s paid off for me. I’m not a big me, me, me guy. But every once in a while I have to have a little time for me,” Mays said.

- Brent Hubbs

VN Store

Back